Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2014, 01:42 PM   #1
Mrshonesty

Angry Problem with repair service and Insurance

We bought a 2014 Keystone Raptor brand new in June 2014. Somehow end of 2014 we noticed the roof messed up. We have no idea how that had happened since we never hit anything and was very careful as to where we took it and had only camped a handful of times. We called our Insurance Company and we told them where we were taking it and they said it was fine. When the work was completed we were not pleased and would not take the trailer and we called our insurance and they told us they did not come and check out the work to to go ahead and pay. We also made the manager look at it and he said they would not fix it because it was done correctly. Needless to say the company that fixed it only gave a 90 day guarantee and we had not been able to go camping. Camper stored and even upon checking regularly there was nothing we could see. Last time we went camping it poured and we noticed water. We also noticed ripples in the wall. We immediately took into another shop and they said the damage was real bad. We called our insurance and they said they did not guarantee the company we used which is weird since they did not tell us that when we asked if they covered this company. Needless to say we are looking at approximately $10k in repairs if not more and we still owe at least $25k on trailer and were getting ready to trade in for a trailer that was not a toy hauler and was a 5th wheel but no one will do that now. Anyone have any ideas where to go?
Mrshonesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

It certainly sounds like you have gotten yourself into a real predicament. You didn't describe how the "roof was messed up" so I am assuming it might have been torn or ripped in some way or had bubbles/ripples.
I may not be understanding you correctly but I thought you said your insurance company gave you the go ahead to get it repaired --- "they said it was fine".
Apparently, the roof was not fixed to your satisfaction and the insurance company told you to pay for the repairs.

At some point an insurance company usually sends out an adjustor who looks at the damage and provides a report back to the head office with an authorization to pay "x" amount of dollars for the repair. Did an adjustor come at any time and look at the roof?

I am puzzled why the insurance company told you to go ahead with repairs done by a company that they didn't guarantee. Yes, it is "weird".

Have you continued to pursue this with your insurance company? Do they have some kind of provision to appeal?

Not sure what to tell you - it seems like a very complicated issue.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
Ken / Claudia

Thats also wierd to me. Long term fix you might need a lawyer, here insurance co.s are controlled/regulated by the state. By what they need to due etc etc. If the ins co. failed to do what is and was required, a call to them would be free and maybe helpful.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote