Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2014, 04:28 AM   #1
rosede

No bathroom lights or exhaust fan

My tail actually starts late last summer/fall when I noticed the front cap was fading on my Outback. Keystone had me take it to a local body shop to get repainted. Of course, the body shop had to take off the LP tanks and battery to do the work, the bad thing is, they put the battery on backwards.

This spring I bought an electric tongue jack. I put on the first one that I received, but it didn't work. I sent it back and received a new one. I put that jack on and it too did not work. I can't have two back jacks, something else must be wrong, but I wasn't sure what it was. Its a very simple wiring, hot goes to positive, and the ground is through the frame. I couldn't leave the jack installed on the trailer, I had to take it off and put the manual back on until I could figure out what was wrong. I had everything put away when I noticed a sticker on the frame that said "Black to positive, White to negative". That's not how mine is wired!! The guys at the body shop put my battery on backwards!! I took everything apart again, turned the battery around, and put on the new jack. Yay!! IT WORKS!!

This weekend was the first opportunity that we had to get out. We got to our campsite and its 95 degrees outside. First order of business, AC. However, the AC isn't working. It kinda hums, but won't blow. I thump the switch and it turns on. Great. Later that day, I come into the camper, turn on the lights and wham, AC stops working, and the lights go dim. Whats up with the power?!? The TV works, the microwave works, but the lights just barely light up and the AC won't even think about working.

I check the breaker box and everything looks good. The 15 amp fuses all look good, no little red lights on anything. Puzzling. During my trouble shooting, I noticed two orange fuses that were covered by the breaker/fuse panel cover. I decide to take the cover off and look at the fuses, both of which were blown. While I'm pondering what this means, I notice a sticker on the cover that said they protect from a reversed hooked up battery. I quickly run to a local auto parts store and purchase some fuses. Everything is back to normal, or close to it anyway.

The only issue that I have is that the bathroom lights and exhaust fan wont work. The AC plug works, but not the lights or fan. I checked the fuse in the fuse box and its okay. I believe there is only one GFI plug in the entire camper and that is in the bathroom and it works. Any idea on what else to check on why the bathroom lights wont work?

Thanks

rosede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:38 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Silly question (maybe) but is the light controlled by two switches ... one on the wall and one on the light itself???? Are both on????
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:20 AM   #3
SAABDOCTOR

my exhaust fan has a rest/circut breaker may be you can get lucky again and it ripped before the fuse blew.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:43 AM   #4
Pmedic4

Bathroom light trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Silly question (maybe) but is the light controlled by two switches ... one on the wall and one on the light itself???? Are both on????
We had this experience with the bathroom light, so it is right on the money. Flipped the switch, nothing. Since I was only one bulb, was going to replace the bulb and of course noticed the switch on the fixture when taking of the lens. Yeah, it's fixed.

The only trickier light is the outside flood light. It will turn on and off with the remote or switch inside, but if you turn it on with the remote, the inside switch won't turn it off.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:06 AM   #5
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic4 View Post
The only trickier light is the outside flood light. It will turn on and off with the remote or switch inside, but if you turn it on with the remote, the inside switch won't turn it off.
That's normal. No idea on the logic behind it, but if you turn the security light on with the remote, only the remote will turn it off.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:16 AM   #6
rosede

Quote:
The lights in the bathroom are independently switched on. There is no additional switch for the bathroom lights.

My first thoughts was a bad bulb(s), but there are two lights and two bulbs each, so I don't think that its bulbs. Plus with the exhaust fan doesn't work, that tells me there is something else going on here.

I'll double check the breakers/fuses maybe I missed something.

Thanks.

Daryl

Old 06-24-2014, 03:55 AM   #7
rosede

Thumbs up

Well, this is embarrassing, but before I explain the resolution, let me say in my own defense; I've only used the camper about four times in the two years that I've owned it.

Quote:
Yes, it was that simple, there actually are two switches on the wall in the bathroom, one for the lights, and one for the exhaust fan.

I stopped by the camper last night on my way home from work. I checked every fuse and breaker. Everything was fine, no blown fuses or tripped breakers. I decided once again to look in the bathroom, perhaps there was something in there that I missed. As I was looking around I moved my wife's cosmetic bag that was hanging on the wall and there they were, two switches. Sure enough, the lights and fan both came on.

Yes Hank, there are two switches, and I forgot all about them. Even with the wife's bag covering them, I should have remembered, but I didn't. It had been 10 months since the last outing, and I had just forgotten. Its hell getting old.

Thanks for the help.

Daryl

Old 06-24-2014, 05:22 AM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosede View Post
Well, this is embarrassing, but before I explain the resolution, let me say in my own defense; I've only used the camper about four times in the two years that I've owned it.

Yes, it was that simple, there actually are two switches on the wall in the bathroom, one for the lights, and one for the exhaust fan.

I stopped by the camper last night on my way home from work. I checked every fuse and breaker. Everything was fine, no blown fuses or tripped breakers. I decided once again to look in the bathroom, perhaps there was something in there that I missed. As I was looking around I moved my wife's cosmetic bag that was hanging on the wall and there they were, two switches. Sure enough, the lights and fan both came on.

Yes Hank, there are two switches, and I forgot all about them. Even with the wife's bag covering them, I should have remembered, but I didn't. It had been 10 months since the last outing, and I had just forgotten. Its hell getting old.

Thanks for the help.

Daryl
Been there, Done that and ditto on the getting old. Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote