Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #21
audio1der

I was pretty set on buying the SteadyFast system.
Talking it over with my frugal FIL by the campfire, he suggested we could make them much more cheaply. Google revealed a DIY system using ratcheting cargo bars, and I was sold. I never liked the idea of "nesting" tubes, but the ratcheting cargo bars are MADE to do just that, and were on sale for $14.99/ea locally, so I have a bunch sitting in my garage. I just need to source some swing bolts to replace a pivot bolt at the foot of our stabilizers jacks- one for each cargo bar to be installed, and a few odds and ends, and we will each have a system with 4 long jack stabilizers for under $100 each; the same as the shipping to Canada of the SteadyFast system.
If you read the installation instructions for JT's strong arms and Steadyfast, you get the idea of what needs to be done so well that anyone could do this.
I'll get a dedicated thread going once they're built & installed.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #22
byrdr1

I sure like my steadyfast system. Good luck with homemade system.

Randy Sent this!!

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #23
audio1der

Don't get me wrong; I'd much rather recieve a free Steadyfast system and just install it, but the PRICE?!?
The engineer in me says I can get this DIY setup 95% as effective for less than just the shipping of the Steadyfast, and then I've 75% saved for a Diablosport tuner for the spring.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #24
Mike L123

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio1der View Post
Don't get me wrong; I'd much rather recieve a free Steadyfast system and just install it, but the PRICE?!?
The engineer in me says I can get this DIY setup 95% as effective for less than just the shipping of the Steadyfast, and then I've 75% saved for a Diablosport tuner for the spring.
Ok, then. Is it now later enough to see if you have your project finished? No, what's taking you so long?

Don't forget to keep this thread alive or PM me with a link to a new thread that you start. I will be anxious to see how you do it. Good luck with it!

Cheers!

Mike
Carol, My wonderful wife of 41 years
Kenzie Schweenie Tod, our furry faced Shih 't n Dash
Mike L123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #25
audio1der

Umm, no it's not done.
I've a couple small projects around the house which take precedence, with the trailer now winterized and therefore unused for 6 months.
I'm trying to figure out a way to effectively swivel mount the bars to the jack feet without these silly pivot bolts, as that solution also requires some welding to that end of the (cargo) stab bar. I'm thinking some more c-channel bar like how the upper pivot point will mount to the frame. It needs to be solid with no play.
I just love a challenge, and cruising aisles of hardware stores and specialty bolt supply shops.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:02 PM   #26
Dutch & Di

We agree than any permanently installed after market stabilizer system is the way to get rid of unwanted movement. We've been "believers" for 8 years and it sure have made us happy campers ever since. Hugs, Di
Old 05-21-2014, 05:40 PM   #27
gvansickle1

So, having experienced firsthand the dreaded “Shaky” trailer, decided to pick up a couple Valterra 020106 RV Stabilizers. Link: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...abilizer/34337

Also, having experienced a bit more “sway” during our last outing than I was comfortable I did a bit of research on the subject (Thank you Forum) determined that the single “Friction Sway Control Bar” installed by the Dealer was/is inadequate for our trailer given it is >26' in length (30'). So, I found these online and picked up the LH (Drivers side) unit that I will be installing this week in preparation for our next outing. Link: http://www.amazon.com/Eaz-Lift-48381.../dp/B005JQNPG6

Finally, given that we are relative noobs to TT's and being a bit anal I'm concerned with “loading”. I wanted to make sure that we were within limits RE tongue weight. Rather than running to the scales before each trip (not a good option) found this scale and decided that the price was worth the piece of mind until I learn to properly balance the load. Picked up the 2000 lb. model and thus far am more than satisfied. Link http://www.sherline.com/lm.htm

Yep! It's official! I'm hooked!!

Thanks again John!
Old 05-22-2014, 05:26 PM   #28
ThePressureIsOn

Just a heads up. The Valterra stabilizers work well until the buttons that you push in to adjust, break. They are built real flimsy. When mine broke I drilled through the square tubing and now use 1/4" bolts with wing nuts.
ThePressureIsOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:38 PM   #29
gvansickle1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePressureIsOn View Post
Just a heads up. The Valterra stabilizers work well until the buttons that you push in to adjust, break. They are built real flimsy. When mine broke I drilled through the square tubing and now use 1/4" bolts with wing nuts.
Good to know and I like your solution.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:34 PM   #30
swan2125

A set of Camco Wheel Stop (Large) work great on out TT. We purchased one for each side and I don't feel a thing.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2015 Avalanche 361TG
2014 Ram 3500, Longhorn, SRW, 4x4, CC, 6.7 CTD, 68RFE, 3.42 with 5th Wheel Prep (Cherry Red)

Previous:

2014 Laredo 291TG (Traded for above)
2013 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab (SOLD)
(5.7L Hemi 4x4 w/ Towing Pkg, factory brake controller and 3.92 Rear Axle)
swan2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:15 PM   #31
gvansickle1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvansickle1 View Post
So, having experienced firsthand the dreaded “Shaky” trailer, decided to pick up a couple Valterra 020106 RV Stabilizers. Link: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...abilizer/34337

Also, having experienced a bit more “sway” during our last outing than I was comfortable I did a bit of research on the subject (Thank you Forum) determined that the single “Friction Sway Control Bar” installed by the Dealer was/is inadequate for our trailer given it is >26' in length (30'). So, I found these online and picked up the LH (Drivers side) unit that I will be installing this week in preparation for our next outing. Link: http://www.amazon.com/Eaz-Lift-48381.../dp/B005JQNPG6

Finally, given that we are relative noobs to TT's and being a bit anal I'm concerned with “loading”. I wanted to make sure that we were within limits RE tongue weight. Rather than running to the scales before each trip (not a good option) found this scale and decided that the price was worth the piece of mind until I learn to properly balance the load. Picked up the 2000 lb. model and thus far am more than satisfied. Link http://www.sherline.com/lm.htm

Yep! It's official! I'm hooked!!

Thanks again John!
So, to follow up after having been able to get out and try out a couple new upgrades;

Having experienced the “Shakes” during our first two outings, we had picked up a couple Valterra 020106 RV Stabilizers to see if they'd help. Link: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...abilizer/34337
Verdict: While they did not completely eliminating the movement generated by three kids in the bunkhouse, there was a significant improvement when using two. For the money, these were a good buy and worth it for us. We'll see how long they last!

Having experienced more “sway” than I was comfortable with our last outing, determined that the single “Friction Sway Control Bar” installed by the Dealer was/is inadequate given the length of our trailer (>26'). I found the LH unit for our setup online and installed it prior to heading out for the weekend. Link: http://www.amazon.com/Eaz-Lift-48381.../dp/B005JQNPG6
Verdict: Huge difference and we hit a significant amount of wind this trip! This was well worth the time and money.

Given that we are relative noobs to TT's and a bit concerned with “loading” I wanted to make sure that we were within limits RE tongue weight. I found this scale online and picked up the 2000 lb. model. Link http://www.sherline.com/lm.htm
Verdict: While some may see this as overkill, it gave us piece of mind and thus far I'm more than satisfied with it.

It seems so simple but having gone without one the past three years while we were renting trailers, this additional little item makes life so much more enjoyable. IMHO the “convenience” delivered by the Camco 15-ft Sidewinder Sewer Hose Support device make it a must have. Link: http://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Campi.../CAM43041.html

Had a great time!
Old 06-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #32
audio1der

Home made jack stabilizers

Well, here she is.
$64 for 4- expanding cargo jack struts. $40 of 5/16" hardware, 1" square tube and some 1 1/8" flat steel..
All I used for tools were a bench vise, drill, drill bits, grinder, a BFH (big, um, hammer) and some elbow grease. Not pretty, but there is no play. I'm quite confident these will do the trick.
I could not find c-channel steel for the upper brackets to bolt to the frame so I had to cut & grind it out of square tube steel. The bent bracket holding the second stabilizer 90* from the first is made from the flat steel.
Everything you see is mirrored for the other corner. I plan to use them on the front streetside and rear curbside corners.
I will mount it on Saturday and we camp next weekend to test it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140605_002.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	6165   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140605_003.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	6166   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140605_001.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	6167