Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2014, 09:32 AM   #1
AussieCanadian

How to mount TV?

Hi all!

Firstly - we're new to the forum and to RV's in general. We moved to Canada 5 years back, and last year we bought our first trailer (upgrading from a tent!) - a 2014 Hideout 24BHWE. We LOVE it!

I am wanting to mount a TV in this trailer but wondering how it's done. Trying to mount it on the pantry wall, above the u-dinette. The manual indicates that the space allows for a 22" TV, but no specific details on where/how to mount.

We have already bought a bracket (a small omni-mount 3N1-S tilt and pan that mounts on 1 wall stud with 2 screws) and now trying to work out if there is actually a specific position on this pantry wall that it should be mounted? Does anyone know OR has anyone tackled this job with this specific trailer???

The wall above the dinette (pantry wall) is only 1/8" thick paneling so I am thinking of glueing/screwing a piece of 4x2 on the inside of the pantry and then bolting the TV bracket to this stud. Thoughts on that? Will it be strong enough etc? The TV can be detached from the bracket fairly easily for travel.

Thanks in advance!! Any ideas / thoughts would be appreciated!

Cheers!
AussieCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #2
Steve S

Hi and welcome Do you have wood studs or aluminium?
I'm in construction and with steel studs there's special wall anchors we use that will actually hold weight.
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:50 AM   #3
AussieCanadian

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

The studs in the trailer are wood - except the closest stud I think is on the far edge of the pantry wall... there is no stud or support in the middle of the pantry paneling which is where i'm trying to install the bracket (IE so the TV is positioned in the middle of the wall)

Any thoughts on rigging some kind of support (IE a piece of 4x2) behind the pantry paneling??
Old 02-01-2014, 09:57 AM   #4
Steve S

Isn't there stickers on the wall that says mount tv here?
To back frame it properly you would have to pull the skin off and glue and screw your 2x in......a bit of a job considering how thin the skin is.
The other option would be to find some nice veneer ply and glue and lag it on top of your skin lagging it to the studs of course.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:05 AM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

AussieCanadian -
If you do a forum search, there are quite a number of threads/posts about mounting a TV in RV's - especially the bedroom area. I typed in "mounting a TV" in the search box and found quite a bit of information about this topic.
To use the search function, go to the top of the page, find the word "Search" on the blue bar and click on it. A search box will appear. Type in what you want to look for.
You might have to weed through the threads as not all of them are exactly on the topic but many are.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:08 AM   #6
AussieCanadian

@ Festus2 - Thanks for the info - I will read up on the forum RE: TV mounting and gather some ideas there.

@ Steve S - there isn't any sticker indicating where to mount the TV. I know that this trailer has an option of coming with a 22" TV mounted, so I might drop by the dealer here in Calgary and ask them to show me one so I can see how it's mounted.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:12 AM   #7
Steve S

Yeah if you can zip in to the dealer then you would have a visual.
Check out a few trailers as most of the display units have tvs mounted in them.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:56 AM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

If I am reading your description correctly, you can access the inside if the cabinet that you want to mount the tv on. The cabinets are framed with 1x hardwood. I would get a piece of 1x6 hardwood stained to match your cabinets. Depending on how the screws are located on your mount horizontally or vertically cut the 1x6 to fit snugly and glue it in place. Toe nail (or better with screws) the wood to the frame. When mounting the bracket instead of wood screws I would use machine screws and elastic stopnuts and it will never vibrate loose. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:04 AM   #9
2014Fuzion300

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13945

This is what we did!

Sent from my iPad.
2014Fuzion300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:04 PM   #10
AussieCanadian

@ Hank - thanks for that advice. You understood correctly - yes, I can access the inside of the pantry cabinet. From what you're saying, it sounds like you're suggesting I cut a long section of 1x and then glue it on the inside of the cabinet, then screw to the cabinet frame on either end? Is that correct? That's similar to what I had in mind I think - and sounds like it would be solid enough. Do you take your TV off the mount when on the road or with the machine screws and locknuts is it solid enough to travel? The 22" LED TV I bought only weights 6.4lbs.

@ Steve S - yep, I will probably head out to the dealer and see how the exact same unit with a 22" TV is mounted.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:27 PM   #11
AussieCanadian

2014Fuzion - that installation looks really neat. Nice job and good ideas. Thanks.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:34 AM   #12
hankpage
Site Team

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieCanadian View Post
@ Hank - thanks for that advice. You understood correctly - yes, I can access the inside of the pantry cabinet. From what you're saying, it sounds like you're suggesting I cut a long section of 1x and then glue it on the inside of the cabinet, then screw to the cabinet frame on either end? Is that correct? That's similar to what I had in mind I think - and sounds like it would be solid enough. Do you take your TV off the mount when on the road or with the machine screws and locknuts is it solid enough to travel? The 22" LED TV I bought only weights 6.4lbs.

@ Steve S - yep, I will probably head out to the dealer and see how the exact same unit with a 22" TV is mounted.
Scary ... Our minds think alike. Mine is wall mounted and I use Velcro straps to secure for travel.

hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:26 PM   #13
2014Fuzion300

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieCanadian View Post
2014Fuzion - that installation looks really neat. Nice job and good ideas. Thanks.

You are very welcome!
Bouncy!
2014Fuzion300 is offline   Reply With Quote