Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2023, 04:18 PM   #1
RV Vacation
Gone Traveling

4925 miles and done.

Did it and do not regret it.

Left NW Pennsylvania on October 5th and arrived Alabama, Gulf Shores area on November 1. Total of 4925 miles on the truck and 4881 miles on the Montana. Average miles per gallon (according to the trk 'puter) is 7.8. Pushing the headwinds the mpg was 6.1, tailwinds pushing the rig the mpg was 8.3. Pulling the mountains, we won't talk about mpg.

My fears over "Sailun Tires" have been calmed. The tires look to be wearing fine, giving us no problem even at speeds of 70 mph, driving on Arizona highways with air temps above 100F.

I must mention, the Montana pulled very well, even in high winds that greeted us during our last few days on the road. The F250 drove and handled quite well. Surprisingly well I should say, given the conditions of Indiana's and Colorado's I 70. Geez, it took two days, after getting off that interstate, before my eyeballs quit bouncing.

The Rockies and the stupid snow were beautiful. Utah was gorgeous and I would highly recommend taking Utah Highway 89 and 89A. We stayed in Fredonia, Arizona then did the 89A to 89 loop. To see what's to see on the drive, plan an all day trip. The drive includes the North Rim of The Grand Canyon, The Horseshoe Curve, Antelope Canyon, Vermillion Cliffs, The Grand Staircase as well as many smaller look see pull offs. Oh yeah, for the water buffs, there is a really huge lake.

Take a short drive to see Zion and Bryce Canyon while you are in the area. We did not do Zion or Bryce. Zion still had the shuttles running and you cannot drive your vehicle when the shuttles are still operating. I'm not one for waiting in crowds so we stayed away.

Next stop was the Grand Canyon South Rim and from there it was off to Tucson where we visited the Saguaro National Park, Old Tucson (home to many famous western movies) and then off to Tombstone and "Boothill".

Three days crossing Texas, a few days in Louisiana and two more in Mississippi we finally landed in Alabama, our 5 month winter haven for 2023.

Take care, safe travels, your friend and mine.

John
RV Vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 09:58 AM   #2
cougar23

Be sure to visit some seafood markets for really nice jumbo shrimp. Was there last winter and brought home 20 Lbs. Still have 2 Lbs. left.
cougar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 11:20 AM   #3
RV Vacation
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar23 View Post
Be sure to visit some seafood markets for really nice jumbo shrimp. Was there last winter and brought home 20 Lbs. Still have 2 Lbs. left.

Cougar thank you for your response. I know you are right about the shrimp too. Shrimp Po-Boy.... emmm emmm emmmm! lol.

Be well and safe travels.
Old 11-03-2023, 07:12 PM   #4
LadyCPA

Thank you for sharing your adventure. Hubby and I are anxious to start that life style but we need a few more months, so we live through other people's adventures.
Columbia SC
LadyCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 07:42 PM   #5
RV Vacation
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCPA View Post
Thank you for sharing your adventure. Hubby and I are anxious to start that life style but we need a few more months, so we live through other people's adventures.

May you be blessed with many happy miles in your new life style of travel.

We hope to see a report on your first journey.