Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2016, 12:40 PM   #1
Cqyqte

Weight Placards

The yellow and white printed sticker display the GVWR and Dry Weights of the trailer as well as the tongue weight. When the trailers are sold with a preselected set of options such as a summer package, do the weights on the yellow sticker reflect that? Purpose behind my question is, the sticker states tongue weight as 675 lbs. and the summer package includes 2-20 lbs LPG tanks and battery. If I assume the sticker doesn't then the tongue weight posted is going to be much higher. Anyone know if this assumption is correct??? I know the tongue weights are Dry weights and not GVWR weight, but just wondering if I need to make allowances for the extra 100 lbs that the LPG and battery will add to the tongue weight.

2014 Ram 1500 Laramie
2017 Keystone Springdale 2660RL
Cqyqte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 03:21 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Re: Weight Placards

I don't think the placard reflects any of the "adds/upgrades" on the trailer. Mine had several upgrades and options on it but my placard is the generic placard for the standard model of my trailer...and my weights reflect it.

I would certainly make allowances for that 100lbs....plus hitch etc.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:41 PM   #3
CaptnJohn

The stated weight does not include dealer installed options. The battery is not included. It does include FULL propane tanks even though shipped empty.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 05:32 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
The stated weight does not include dealer installed options. The battery is not included. It does include FULL propane tanks even though shipped empty.
The OP will want to double check this. My trailer says the weight of the propane tanks is not included....and I think that holds true for all, or most, trailers. If you are at the point that the tongue weight added by the propane is a consideration you probably are too close to your limits.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:59 PM   #5
Tbos

Weight Placards

I have seen different TTs with yellow stickers that say different things. I've seen the same model TT with different weights on the sticker. Some I've seen included a load of propane but specifically talk about needing to add the weight of full load of water. So bottom line is it seems to vary, so be wary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:35 PM   #6
jaydubya1966

I have a Keystone Passport Elite 19RB and the manufacturer yellow tag states a trailer weight of 4335lbs. I tow with a GMC Acadia with a max towing capacity of 5200lbs. I was concerned about the loaded trailer weight since I am at 83% ratio with no cargo. So I went to the CAT scales today and to my surprise the trailer weight was 4160lbs. I have a little water in my fresh water tank and I do have some cargo (I estimated about 500-600 lbs). So I am now a bit confused. I am going to do a separate post and enjoy the benefits of this forum.
TV: 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3L
TV: 2015 GMC Acadia SLT (Retired in Nov 16)
jaydubya1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:10 PM   #7
Ken / Claudia

John explain how you checked the weight of the trailer. Did you include the tongue weight with the axle weight. If not that might explain it.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:17 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydubya1966 View Post
I have a Keystone Passport Elite 19RB and the manufacturer yellow tag states a trailer weight of 4335lbs. I tow with a GMC Acadia with a max towing capacity of 5200lbs. I was concerned about the loaded trailer weight since I am at 83% ratio with no cargo. So I went to the CAT scales today and to my surprise the trailer weight was 4160lbs. I have a little water in my fresh water tank and I do have some cargo (I estimated about 500-600 lbs). So I am now a bit confused. I am going to do a separate post and enjoy the benefits of this forum.
You didn't describe how you weighed your trailer, so your weight may reflect the actual weight on the trailer axles and not the weight that's on the tongue (supported by the tow vehicle). If you simply drove onto the scale pads, tow vehicle front axle on pad 1, rear axle on pad 2 and trailer axles on pad 3, then the "trailer weight" on pad 3 would be only what's supported by the axles. Somewhere between 10-15% of your trailer's weight is actually on pads 1 and 2 (tongue weight as it's distributed by the hitch).

To get an accurate weight of your trailer, you'll need to weigh the trailer without the tow vehicle, however most scales won't allow you to unhitch while on the pads, so the "alternative" is to drive onto the pads, undo the weight distribution bars (don't remove them, just let them hang) and weigh the rig, then drive off the scales, unhitch, drive the tow vehicle back onto the scales, weigh and then subtract the rear axle weight of the "solo" tow vehicle from the weight reflected while hitched without WD bars. The difference, when added to the trailer axle weights will give you a much more accurate weight of your trailer.

It's been my experience that the actual weight is never less than the advertised weight. So, don't be lulled into thinking you're that much under what the placard weight reflects.

ADDED: An example of what I'm saying is this: If your trailer weighs 4335 (on the placard) and you estimate about 500 pounds of cargo, then the actual trailer weight (with, lets say 100 pounds of water--about 12 gallons) would be 4335+500+100=4935 pounds. If your tongue weight is 12%, that would be about 592 pounds on the tongue, or actually carried on the rear axle of the tow vehicle. So on the scale, pad 3 (trailer) would actually read somewhere around 4935-592= 4343 pounds. So, it's very possible that if you simply drove on the scales, have 16% tongue weight and about 500 pounds of cargo AND water, you could actually have a trailer weighing over 5000 pounds and reflect 4100 on pad 3 of the scale. That 4100 pounds would NOT be your trailer weight, only a part of the trailer weight which is resting on the axles.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:47 PM   #9
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
I have seen different TTs with yellow stickers that say different things. I've seen the same model TT with different weights on the sticker. Some I've seen included a load of propane but specifically talk about needing to add the weight of full load of water. So bottom line is it seems to vary, so be wary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I believe it was 2007 full tanks are to be included in the dry weight.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:50 AM   #10
xcntrk

As CaptnJohn said; the yellow decal reflects the exact weight of that individual unit as it left the Keystone factory. Keystone weighs each unit individually with all options and accessories so that you know the exact weight as it left the manufacture. Now dealers can install additional options on top of the manufacture build, such as battery, electric tongue jacks, etc, etc.. Obviously those items will not be included in the yellow sticker weights.

There's a vid somewhere on the Keystone site that shows this unique weighing feature of their brand. Not sure how many of the other manufactures do this.

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:42 AM   #11
CWtheMan

The following information was part of the 2007 rules change to FMVSS standards.

“If applicable, the weight of full propane tanks must be included in the RV's UVW and the weight of on-board potable water must be treated as cargo.”

NHTSA also authorized the use of load carrying capacity modification labels to be affixed next to the original CCC label whenever the retailer/dealer adds options totaling over 100#.

If you want to read all the information about it you can put 49 CFR 571.110 for trailers 10k or under or 49 CFR 571.120 for trailers over 10K in your search engine. The cargo information will be in the ending paragraphs.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:09 PM   #12
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cqyqte View Post
Purpose behind my question is, the sticker states tongue weight as 675 lbs. and the summer package includes 2-20 lbs LPG tanks and battery.
The published tongue weight for your trailer is an ideal figure calculated by the vehicle manufacturer. They must do it because of the content of the paragraph below. That is from 49 CFR 571.110.

Paragraph S9.2, On RV trailers, the sum of the GAWRs of all axles on the vehicle plus the vehicle manufacturer's recommended tongue weight must not be less than the GVWR. If tongue weight is specified as a range, the minimum value must be used.

Look at your trailer’s certification label and total the GAWR numbers, then add the published tongue weight. It has to equal or exceed GVWR or they sold you an unsafe trailer.

Once you take position of the trailer the actual tongue weight is 100% your responsibility from that point forward.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:54 PM   #13
Cqyqte

Thank you for all your replies. Canadian dealers typically buy and sell prepackaged trailers as it is difficult for them to place custom orders, so I was having a difficult time understanding the placard information knowing that these trailers would have been imported and registered by the Ministry. So if the placard information didn't reflect the actuals as it entered Canada new labels would need to be added with new numbers. The short of it my SM2660RLS came with two 20# LPG tanks and the listed options from the factory with no additions so the placard numbers in my case are actuals give or take a lb.

2014 Ram 1500 Laramie
2017 Keystone Springdale 2660RL
Cqyqte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:22 PM   #14
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cqyqte View Post
Thank you for all your replies. Canadian dealers typically buy and sell prepackaged trailers as it is difficult for them to place custom orders, so I was having a difficult time understanding the placard information knowing that these trailers would have been imported and registered by the Ministry. So if the placard information didn't reflect the actuals as it entered Canada new labels would need to be added with new numbers. The short of it my SM2660RLS came with two 20# LPG tanks and the listed options from the factory with no additions so the placard numbers in my case are actuals give or take a lb.
I'm sorry, I didn't notice you were CDN. Ontario has very stringent vehicle inspection laws that includes most everything safety wise on RV trailers. Maybe you should get a copy of the rules or read the references they have posted on the internet.

Good Luck.