Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2014, 01:59 AM   #1
gafranc469

Slide out stablizers

I am looking for anyone who may have purchased and used RV Slide-Out Adjustable Stabilizers on their rig. What was your experience with these? Are they worth the money?
I am not currently having any problems with my slide on my Cougar 29RBKWE. Just wanted to get anyone's thoughts on these. Thanks for the input.

Greg
2013 Cougar 29RBKWE
2013 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi 3.92 AR
gafranc469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:05 AM   #2
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafranc469 View Post
I am looking for anyone who may have purchased and used RV Slide-Out Adjustable Stabilizers on their rig. What was your experience with these? Are they worth the money?
I am not currently having any problems with my slide on my Cougar 29RBKWE. Just wanted to get anyone's thoughts on these. Thanks for the input.

Greg
2013 Cougar 29RBKWE
2013 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi 3.92 AR
NO SLIDEOUT STABILIZERS.....

To demonstrate why..... Get some 2x4s cut to go precisely between the the bottom of your tow vehicle's side view mirrors and the ground. Use them as a "mirror stabilizer" to help support the mirror....

Now let the air out of your tires.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:30 AM   #3
GaryWT

Putting anything under the slide will put stress on it when the rest of the trailer moves or if, as said above, a tire goes flat. You could damage the slide and then it might not close. If there is an issue, put something under the frame near the slide.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:07 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafranc469 View Post
The slide outs are designed and constructed to withstand the weight of appliances, furniture and the occupants. I've never heard of any slide out collapsing when extended and if you are concerned enough about any movement of the slide out, installing stabilizers to the RV's frame and jacks would be a much better route to go. These would reduce the movement throughout the whole unit rather than just the slide out.

It's not a great idea - save your money.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #5
gafranc469

Thank you all for your input and you confirmed what I was thinking. If the manufacturer wanted stablizers for the slide then he would have provided them. Again thanks for the input and safe travels.

Greg
2013 Keystone Cougar 29RBKWE
2013 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi 3.92 AR
gafranc469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:00 AM   #6
jkohler70

While I agree that they are likely unnecessary, I doubt there is any risk of damage if used properly. Assuming the RV is tandem axle, you would need to have a catastrophic loss of air in both tires simultaneously, then a collapse of the scissor jacks. Although possible, I think the chances are extraordinarily remote.
jkohler70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:36 PM   #7
cwray

Slideout stabalizers yes

I have used them with my previous TT. It was an ultralight and the stabalizers helped with the moving and swaying when you walked around, My current Sprinter does not have the same problem so I don't use them.
If you do use them just adjust until snug do not use them to level the TT.
cwray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:40 AM   #8
Hercules1978

As mentioned before, an extra scissor jack or two on the frame will add a great deal of stability.
My 31sqb would rock side to side any time someone sat down on our couch. You could also feel every footstep when someone was walking. I added a scissor jack to both sides of the trailer just in front of the front axle and the rocking and bouncing all but vanished.
Hercules1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:45 PM   #9
rweis

I put 8 removable scissor jacks under my 35' 314RE. Middle of bedroom slide both sides, front spring hanger both sides, rear spring hanger both sides, 1/2 way from rear spring hanger to rear end of frame both sides.

I added 4 BAL 7,500# scissor jacks, and removed the 4 china 5,000# scissor jacks that came on the rig. Had a C channel welded to the top of the scissor jacks with the C pointing up so the frame of the RV fits into the C channel so the is no possible way the scissor jack can slip out during use.

Virtually no movement. After initial setup, snug scissor jacks daily. To make it easy to snug the jacks that are where the is a slideout, measure the depth of your slideout and extend your ratchet extension that far, mine about 4'.

Added benefit, the C channel makes a great axle holder for tire changes / rotation.

Bob Weis
2014 314 RE
rweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:33 PM   #10
davidcyndi

We use slide out stabilizers and love them. Get them from ebay much cheaper than amazon or any parts dealer.

"AUTISM IS NOT A TRAGEDY. IGNORANCE IS THE TRAGEDY."

https://i.imgur.com/3IyXHzt.png
davidcyndi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:38 PM   #11
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Dawt10characters
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:59 PM   #12
Fishhawk

Slide stabilizers

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcyndi View Post
We use slide out stabilizers and love them. Get them from ebay much cheaper than amazon or any parts dealer.
X2 on this
We use the tripod jacks on out Cougar 27RLS slide out

Lightly snugged up to the slide frame, we have eliminated the bounce when someone sits down at the dining table

No problems in the last 3 yrs
Fishhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:28 AM   #13
jkohler70

Just remember, if both tires on one side suddenly lose air or a giant sinkhole opens under the axle you could damage your slide. Or an earthquake. Maybe a flood will wash out the ground under your tires.