Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2018, 10:17 AM   #1
cmerkert

Propane tank Changeover Indicator

I have seen a post about a simple sensor light that goes on when you propane tanks switches over from the primary tank to the secondary. (See link ) This is great to let us know we are on tank 2 and not have to open the nose cone on a Cougar. The only thing is it looks like it goes over a different type of propane regulator. Does anyone know what regulator is on the Courgar XLites. Mine is a '14 XLite and in storage and wrapped up. Just doing some pre-planning getting ready for the season.

1. What type is the Courgar XLites regulator?
2. Does anyone know off the cuff of the propane switch indicator that would work on it?

Thanks. Let the Mods of 2018 begin!
cmerkert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:39 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

This won't answer any of your questions but why would you want to go to the expense and trouble of putting this on?

I have a 14 Cougar High Country and it has the enclosed tanks in front. I leave both tanks on and about every 3 days pull the 2 rubber straps that hold it closed, lower it just a bit and see if the regulator shows red. If so, off comes the cowl and out comes the bottle for refill. Really simple and easy. With 2 bottles I've never found that I need to know if one is "partially" full or not - just run it till it's empty and fill it up.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:07 PM   #3
Pull Toy

I only have one tank "on" at any given time. When it quits, I switch to the other tank, and know that I have 30# worth of gas to refill the first tank. I've been doing this for 40 years, and haven't run out yet.

Good luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:24 PM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
I only have one tank "on" at any given time. When it quits, I switch to the other tank, and know that I have 30# worth of gas to refill the first tank. I've been doing this for 40 years, and haven't run out yet.

Good luck,
Also seems to work for me, however did buy two of those propane monitors as a man toy. so far they seem to work, although system is calibrated for 20 lb tanks mine are 30's. We all need our toys
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:40 PM   #5
Harleydodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post

Good luck,
To each their own I guess.
Doing it that way completely defeats the purpose of having an auto-switching regulator as far as I am concerned.
I will say that in my rig it's very easy to monitor and I check it at least daily, and usually every time I am running the grill out there. (mine is "T"'d off the house supply)
So long as we aren't running the furnace, I would say we would burn about 2lbs of Propane/day with just the fridge, hot water tank and the small grill. (fridge itself draws~1lb a day)
That equates to about 2 weeks of burn on one 30lb tank, which gives me lots of time to get the empty filled at my leisure.

We have not "boondocked" for longer than 5 days as of yet in our trailer, but we have a Camp that runs on the same principle (2x 30lb tanks with switch) and leave the fridge on all summer.

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:48 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

/\. /\

Having only one tank open at a time is something you do until that COLD early morning that you have to go out and open the other bottle to have heat. BTDT ONCE!!!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:53 PM   #7
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
/\. /\

Having only one tank open at a time is something you do until that COLD early morning that you have to go out and open the other bottle to have heat. BTDT ONCE!!!
Thanks !! now I have a written justification for my man toy
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:06 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
This won't answer any of your questions but why would you want to go to the expense and trouble of putting this on?

I have a 14 Cougar High Country and it has the enclosed tanks in front. I leave both tanks on and about every 3 days pull the 2 rubber straps that hold it closed, lower it just a bit and see if the regulator shows red. If so, off comes the cowl and out comes the bottle for refill. Really simple and easy. With 2 bottles I've never found that I need to know if one is "partially" full or not - just run it till it's empty and fill it up.

Just wanted to clarify the above. I check my tank status every 3 days or so during cold weather like we've had with my furnace running every night. In the summer I don't have to look at it much. Every 2-3 weeks if plenty.

And yes, running 2 tanks is far more convenient than running one IMO. On my first trailer it was recommended to leave one off and switch as has been explained. It takes only one trip at midnight in a foot of snow to make you question that practice - and why you would even need the auto change feature. I've ran with 2 tanks open ever since and never had an issue.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:47 PM   #9
travelin texans

X2 on leaving both tanks open & also on the cold middle of the night outdoor switch, never again.
I've tried the gauges you screw onto the bottles, stickons to read propane level & both are about as accurate as my holding tank sensors, so now when the changeover turns red one tank is empty.
There was a mod on another forum that the fellow cut a window in the plastic cover at the changeover valve & sealed & bolted a piece of plexiglass over the hole, no more removing cover to check. This sounds cheaper & possibly more accurate than the sensor system.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:51 PM   #10
Alpine

Just in case someone is counting.... I leave both tank open as well. When the indicator is red, time to fill the empty tank.

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:03 AM   #11
Dave W

I'm one at a time too and have been for many years./ I'll continue to do so even at the cost of getting cold or wet. With that said, we did have one instance this past year when a tank stopped feeding at about 2/3rds empty and a tank switch over at O dark thirty was necessary. This was the second time that it happened. Evidently the regulator is going to 'heaven' and is being replaced. Regardless, I'll still stay with one tank - we use about 1.5 tanks a season unless we travel into late October, then it's - maybe - two
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:05 AM   #12
Tinner12002

I leave both tanks open also but I also carry a full tank just in case!
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:16 AM   #13
Brentw

I leave back tank shut off and wait until first tank runs out. My tank set up is such that the front tank has to come out to get to the back tank, so I minimize the use of the back tank. Only use it for as long as it takes to refill and replace the front tank. Then transfer back to the front tank.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:13 AM   #14
Cqyqte

I agree with most comments regarding two tank set ups, the cover manufactures could make it much easier if they simply put an access port in the area of the switch over valve. I got busy and added my own to make things easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170226_170729.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	15185   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170226_170813.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	15186  

2014 Ram 1500 Laramie
2017 Keystone Springdale 2660RL
Cqyqte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:40 AM   #15
Rolling Along
Gone Traveling

I never can figure out those who have auto features and refuse to use them. I turn both tanks on and let the auto do what it was designed to do.

My wife has had automatic clothes washers for over 40 years but insists on trying to use it as if it was an old wringer washer and after every cycle twirl the control knob until they quit working.

The one tank open folks are living 40 years in the past too. Makes me wonder if they drive vehicles with the power brakes and steering disconnected too.

AND this rig has auto level and I use it too although it can be done manually.
Rolling Along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:57 AM   #16
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Along View Post
I never can figure out those who have auto features and refuse to use them. I turn both tanks on and let the auto do what it was designed to do.

My wife has had automatic clothes washers for over 40 years but insists on trying to use it as if it was an old wringer washer and after every cycle twirl the control knob until they quit working.

The one tank open folks are living 40 years in the past too. Makes me wonder if they drive vehicles with the power brakes and steering disconnected too.

AND this rig has auto level and I use it too although it can be done manually.

Uhhhh why do ypu even care how some of us use our propane tanks? My preference is to KNOW when one tank runs out and not have a surprise with two empty tanks. That's my main reason for one at a time - and yes, I did have the unfortunate (dumb?) experience of totally running out/ Ever try to buy propane on a rainy Saturday evening with the temps in the 40s? With an upset wife? Not one of my more fun experiences
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:15 PM   #17
Rolling Along
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Uhhhh why do ypu even care how some of us use our propane tanks? My preference is to KNOW when one tank runs out and not have a surprise with two empty tanks. That's my main reason for one at a time - and yes, I did have the unfortunate (dumb?) experience of totally running out/ Ever try to buy propane on a rainy Saturday evening with the temps in the 40s? With an upset wife? Not one of my more fun experiences
I don’t care. I think it is comical. When I see people who refuse to use the features they paid for I always see my great uncle in my minds eye. Old, slightly stooped, wearing stripped bib overalls and a matching train engineer style cap, saying, “done it this way for over 50 years.” He left a comical impression on me in my preteen years.

Power anything was junk and cause for tons of maintenance and even lifting the plow out of the ground hydraulically was dumb and for lazy folk. Only a big metal handle made sense to him. I guess I tend to the opposite extreme.
Rolling Along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:38 PM   #18
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Too each his own. I do wish they made a pop up gizmo for the tank when it emptied and the regulator switched over. It would be easier to see and catch your attention. Maybe a flag that said, Hey Duke, your one tank is empty. (Duke was my bib overall wearing great uncle who was also known as, I'm a gonna!]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:54 PM   #19
MattHelm21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Also seems to work for me, however did buy two of those propane monitors as a man toy. so far they seem to work, although system is calibrated for 20 lb tanks mine are 30's. We all need our toys
X2. I also have these. I have the one with a dedicated monitor which I mounted in the kitchen. My version also believes the tanks are 20 lbs so they don’t read until the tanks are 1/3 empty. I understand that the latest version now supports 20, 30, and 40 lb tanks though I don’t know if that means they changed anything.

http://mopeka.com/products/
Old 01-30-2018, 08:05 AM   #20
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
I leave both tanks open also but I also carry a full tank just in case!
This!

If there is a chance we are going to need the furnace I also makes sure we leave with all three tank full for the trip.

Between gas grills and propane heaters, I have plenty of gas bottles to choose from.

-Brian

Tags
propane, tank