Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2017, 04:53 PM   #1
KrowNB

Black/Grey Water pumbing confusion

We bought our 2017 Hideout 25RKS late last year and never really had a chance to figure things out before winterizing. I have two grey tanks, one for the rear kitchen and one central for the bathroom. In dewinterizing it today, flushing lines, etc, I ran water in the bathroom sink and watched to see which grey tank filled by watching the panel to determine which is labelled Grey1 and which is Grey2. Both tanks started out empty as was the black. I kept switching he button from G1 to G2 but the indicator stayed on empty well after I thought there should be a reading. I then pressed the black tank button and, low and behold, the indicator showed 1/3 full! So, the bathroom sink runs into the black tank, not the grey! The shower drains to the grey tank (G1) and the kitchen sink to G2.

I can't see how it makes much difference - a bit more water in the black tank can't hurt. Just wondering, is this setup (bath sink to black tank) normal? Are there potential problems that aren't apparent?

K
Old 04-25-2017, 04:57 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

All my grey water runs to grey water tanks. My toilet goes to the black, but, I do believe there are trailers where the bathroom sink drains to the black tank. Downside? The black tank fill up sooner requiring more frequent dumps because it may or may not be smaller.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:24 PM   #3
MarcS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
All my grey water runs to grey water tanks. My toilet goes to the black, but, I do believe there are trailers where the bathroom sink drains to the black tank. Downside? The black tank fill up sooner requiring more frequent dumps because it may or may not be smaller.
Upside is more water in black tank to break things down.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2017, 06:09 PM   #4
14george

The one I'm getting rid of shower and bathroom sink drained into the black tank
Old 04-25-2017, 06:12 PM   #5
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

The rear half bath is the only configuration that I recall where the sink and toilet shared a tank

Have to ask, which handle did you pull to empty that tank which you claimed indicated was filling up??? Blank Tank ???

Added: getting at panel sensors wiring???
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:52 AM   #6
KrowNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
The rear half bath is the only configuration that I recall where the sink and toilet shared a tank

Have to ask, which handle did you pull to empty that tank which you claimed indicated was filling up??? Blank Tank ???

Added: getting at panel sensors wiring???
I'm still in my driveway so haven't yet dumped the black tank but I know it's properly labeled as I have flushed both the grey tanks of the (nontoxic) antifreeze and bleached water flush. The black was showing empty but after the sink running for about 10 mins now has the first fill light on.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:04 AM   #7
KrowNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
Upside is more water in black tank to break things down.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14george View Post
The one I'm getting rid of shower and bathroom sink drained into the black tank
I don't think there will be much problem. My specs show I have 45 gal fresh; 39 gal black; and 69 gal grey (guessing 30 and 39???). With only kitchen sink running into G2 and only the shower into G1, and even with the bathroom sink running into the 39 gal black they all should last a while. Like MarcS says, it will just keep the black more sloppy, a good thing.

Thanks all for replying. I was just curious to know of this was the norm.

Keith
Old 04-26-2017, 03:17 AM   #8
xcntrk

I would be very suspect and continue the investigation.

When I picked up my brand new Fuzion it had the Grey and Black tank labels on the pull handles in the hook-up access panel REVERSED! It also had the labels for my two fuel tanks (accessory fill station and generator) reversed as well. Mine must have completed the assembly line of a Friday afternoon or something.

Anyway, I wouldn't rule out labels being incorrect and I wouldn't rule out sensors being incorrectly mapped on your display either (although less likely). On the plus side, you don't have to necessarily solve this mystery now as the more you camp in the unit the more obvious it will become how things are plumbed. Good luck!

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:27 AM   #9
KrowNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcntrk View Post
<Snip>I wouldn't rule out labels being incorrect and I wouldn't rule out sensors being incorrectly mapped on your display either (although less likely).<Snip>
I have determined that the flash valves are correct - greys are grey; black is black. The panel is correctly labeled as well - G1 is shower; G2 is kitchen sink; Black is toilet anf bathroom sink. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Tags
water