Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2017, 04:50 PM   #1
NaCo

Towing Question

I have a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500, auto trans, 5.7 Hemi, HD Cooling and 3.21 Diff. Looking at a Bullet 269RLS. Can anyone advise if I will be ok pulling this camper?
NaCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:01 PM   #2
66joej

We tow a Cougar 24RKSWE at 5500# dry with a 2013 Ram 1500 5.7 with 3.21 axle. It does fine but not sure what your tow rating is but seems you will be near the limit. That 3.21 diff is not the best for towing although great fuel economy.
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:01 PM   #3
Cqyqte

Take a very close look at the driver door sticker, it will give you GVWR an the FRT and REAR axle load ratings, there will also be a sticker that provides your payload (gas, passengers, carrying bed capacity). Depending on the options your truck came from factory with this number may vary. But with these numbers and the numbers you can get from running your VIN through Dodges VIN decoder you can obtain the GCWR total weight of truck, contents and trailer, and contents you can see if the truck is up to the job.

2014 Ram 1500 Laramie
2017 Keystone Springdale 2660RL
Cqyqte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:08 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Just a short encapsulation:

Ram 1500, 5.7, 3.21 - you don't give body style, bed or payload (on door sticker).

Your are proposing to pull a 7600 lb trailer with an approx. tongue weight of 800-900 lbs. with the 3.21. Don't know the exact specs on the truck but all I need to know is a 3.21 pulling anything over 3-4k is going to be a miserable experience.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:00 PM   #5
Ken / Claudia

Just look up the numbers.
Truck: the weight. the max. gross weight. the max. combined gross weight. each axle max. weight and max. payload weight. It's all printed on the truck near or on the drivers door and in the manual.

Trailer: Max. gross weight not dry weight.

Just me, but, I would rely on the vehicle's printed information over a opinion.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:07 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Just look up the numbers.
Truck: the weight. the max. gross weight. the max. combined gross weight. each axle max. weight and max. payload weight. It's all printed on the truck near or on the drivers door and in the manual.

Trailer: Max. gross weight not dry weight.

Just me, but, I would rely on the vehicle's printed information over a opinion.
Mine is not an opinion. 3.21, if anyone has ever tried to tow anything of any weight, sucks...as best as I can put it. Want to drive down the highway and get max mileage? Get a 3.21. Want to pull anything....especially an RV, you need no less than a 3.55...at the least. The weights referred to tell you nothing about the abysmal towing experience you're going to have.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:49 PM   #7
Ken / Claudia

Sourdough,
All I know about rear end ratios is that what works for towing has changed over my life by all the changes in the engines and transmissions available now vs 40 years ago. I have read in manuals that rear end ratios affect the towing of a make and model and that is part of the towing data. Which is part of the max towing wt. Not sure if that is always true and I agree to me it sounds like the ratio is to high for proper RV towing. But, until I drove a 1996 Powerstoke with a 3:73 I only wanted a 4:10 and I test drove both. And now the next truck I buy looks like it will have a 6 speed tranny and likely a higher gear ratio and do just great.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:14 PM   #8
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaCo View Post
I have a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500, auto trans, 5.7 Hemi, HD Cooling and 3.21 Diff. Looking at a Bullet 269RLS. Can anyone advise if I will be ok pulling this camper?
I pull my Bullet trailer with a 3.42 rear end mated to a 6 speed trans and small block LS powerplant. Gross weight of my trailer loaded with gear is around 7,000 lbs. At first, I was hesitant buying this trailer as I drove a previous gen Denali with the smaller displacement 6.0 and 4 speed trans.

But after the purchase of my TV and trailer, I soon realized that GM made significant gains in its pulling abilities of their 1500 series trucks. My L92 engine is a beast (over 400 hp/417 ft-lb) and the added gearing just makes for a more relaxing trip. RPM's do rise when passing or taking on steep inclines but these engines are built for that. Under normal driving conditions and at highway speeds, the truck pulls extremely nice. Under stressful conditions and on inclines, the truck never sweats and enters into a nice power band of "glee". On declines and with "tow/haul mode" active, engine braking engages and minimizes use of the hydraulic disk brakes.

Your Bullet in question is about 900 lbs lighter and about 5 feet shorter than mine. Your Hemi engine is just a tad smaller than my LS and pairs a transmission with 1 less gear. Rear end gearing ratio is also smaller. Do these differences offset the generally smaller trailer? Maybe.

If you do pull the trigger on that Bullet, I think most members on here would suggest a installing a quality trailer brake controller, tires with less sidewall flex (LT if in your size), a reputable WDH with proven sway control (I'm in love with Hensley), and an auxiliary trans cooler. Keep your payload within capacities by loading gear, equipment, and luggage into the trailer. And if and after your purchase, drive the rig like a grandpa as your driving experience will be more pleasurable.

I can also suggest joining one of Ram truck's enthusiasts forums and ask around. Wouldn't doubt you'd get honest answers from those who tow with your specifically-optioned truck. Good luck!
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:34 PM   #9
busterbrown

Quote:
Sourdough,
All I know about rear end ratios is that what works for towing has changed over my life by all the changes in the engines and transmissions available now vs 40 years ago. ...And now the next truck I buy looks like it will have a 6 speed tranny and likely a higher gear ratio and do just great.
I think you meant to say "lower gear ratio" or taller gears. But I'm in agreement. Technology advancements with powertrains are helping maximize both unloaded efficiencies and loaded towing capacities. It's the best of both worlds.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:30 AM   #10
66joej

We own a 2013 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi 8 speed trans with the 3.21 rear axle. I a member on the Dodge Ram Forum. This setup is not quite as feeble as you may think. The tow rating is all over the map depending on what site you go on. Everything from 7000# to 8300#. Apparantly the 8 speed trans makes up for the tall diff. We tow a 2013 Cougar 24RKSWE loaded at 6800# through the very mountainous terain we have here with no issues. Only mod I made was to instal Timbren SES blocks. This because the Ram has a very soft coil spring rear suspension. In hindsight I don't think I would have bought the truck. Not really a good tow vehicle. This is just my personal opinion.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:34 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

I may have been a bit hasty in my thoughts on the 3.21 ratio because I have not driven one with the 8 speed tranny. It may perform better than what I think based on my experiences "in the past". Regardless, I would not buy a vehicle for towing with a 3.21 rear end nor recommend it. The 5.7 is a very good engine (I've owned 4) but they have their limitations and a 3.21 is definitely one IMHO.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:15 PM   #12
spdracr39

I have a 2012 silverado 1/2 ton 5.3 and have no issue towing my 284RLS. I did install a predator brake controller and have a husky WD hitch with sway control. I think my Rear axle ratio is 3.42 but you have more power so I don't see an issue.
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:47 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Smile

Quote:
Sourdough,
All I know about rear end ratios is that what works for towing has changed over my life by all the changes in the engines and transmissions available now vs 40 years ago. I have read in manuals that rear end ratios affect the towing of a make and model and that is part of the towing data. Which is part of the max towing wt. Not sure if that is always true and I agree to me it sounds like the ratio is to high for proper RV towing. But, until I drove a 1996 Powerstoke with a 3:73 I only wanted a 4:10 and I test drove both. And now the next truck I buy looks like it will have a 6 speed tranny and likely a higher gear ratio and do just great.
There's so much more to towing than just the transmission. If transmission gearing was the answer than the semi trucks would all be powered by a Brigs & stratton 22 hp V twin with 120 gear transmissions. JM2CW
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:01 AM   #14
beej1024

Have a 2016 Ram 1500, ordered it with the 3.92 rear end and the integrated brake controller. Handled my Outback 21RS like there was nothing being towed, just purchased a new 276UBH, which is 10 feet longer, and over a 1000# heavier. Hoping it will still handle it just as well.
beej1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:23 AM   #15
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
There's so much more to towing than just the transmission. If transmission gearing was the answer than the semi trucks would all be powered by a Brigs & stratton 22 hp V twin with 120 gear transmissions. JM2CW
I believe torque is also in the mix. 22 hp engine not much torque.

Tags
tow, towing