Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2014, 05:10 PM   #1
Richard6959

How cold have you camped with the Polar Package

So just what is the temperature rating for the Polar package? More importantly, how cold have you camped with your Keystone TT and what did you do to make it safe and warm?
Richard6959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:43 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard6959 View Post
So just what is the temperature rating for the Polar package? More importantly, how cold have you camped with your Keystone TT and what did you do to make it safe and warm?
First of all, I would forget about the "Polar Package" and all the hype surrounding it. At best, it's an advertising gimmick by Keystone to lead you to believe that you can be warm and cozy in prolonged freezing temperatures.

There have been volumes written on the forum about these various labels that Keystone sticks on their units so if you want some entertainment this evening, do a forum search on "Arctic Package", "Polar Package" and other similar labels.

Unless one does some serious modifications to the existing unit, your RV is a 3 season camper. You didn't say where you plan on taking it that could be described as "cold/freezing, etc". What kind of temperatures are you talking about?

Will you be hooked up to utilities? Are you going to be dry camping? How long will you be in below freezing temperatures?

All of these are pretty crucial to know before I would attempt to properly answer your questions.

Again, try do some research on the forum about this topic and see if you can find what others have done to make their unit safe and warm.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:54 PM   #3
GaryWT

We did a weekend where it got down to 28F at night and we were fine but I left the water dripping. Would not out out for long in much colder weather than that.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
hankaye

GaryWT, Howdy;

In my former TT (a 1995 Cobra, they went out of biddness in 96),
I used to live in Central Utah, Sanpete Co. where it gets in to the
minus 40'sF in the Winter and stays cold for months at a time. It
takes a lot of preparation and propane to survive... Moved to New
Mexico since I have the Cougar but still utilize skirting, heat tape AND
foam insulation for the water hose, and still a lot of propane, I get a
small 125 gal. bulk tank and have the 'experts' hook it up. Here it generally
only gets into the teens once or four times a Winter and am exploring the
methods to transport this rig to Tahiti ... figure the propane will last longer
there...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:34 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Tahiti??? I didn't know Cougars could swim.....

Last fall, during deer season, I dry camped with our Cougar XLite. It got down to 20F a couple of nights, usually it was around 30 at night and up into the low 40's during the day. With two 6 volt batteries and full propane tanks, we made it through every night with no issues. Of course we were running the generator every afternoon for about 5 or 6 hours to recharge before the evening hunt.

While we were warm inside, I wouldn't want to dry camp for any length of time in those temps without having supplemental heat and electricity. I'd think that with unlimited propane and electricity it would be easy to adapt the trailer to be comfortable down to the low 20's as long as it was above freezing during the day.

Adaptation, in my view would include skirting, some way to create dual pane windows, a regimen of removing moisture through cross ventilation during the warmer parts of the day and doing the cooking/bathing during that time frame.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:48 PM   #6
Steve S

Here in B.C the first winter living in the trailer it hit -22 @ night and most days it was below freezing and it wasn't a problem. I went through a lot of LP and before we get cold again the floor will be insulated.
I also think it depends on what you call cold as I like the cold so it never really bothers me.

Tags
cold weather, laredo, polar package