Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2020, 03:47 PM   #1
crk112

Flapping in the breeze

Headed home to Minnesota from Albuquerque.. all my windows are slide-type (slide up or slide-to-the-side) except for the "emergency exit" window in the front bedroom which is hinged.

It's a good thing I can see it in the side mirror because I've (so far) had to stop no less than four times to apply more duct tape... and on the side of the interstate that's four more times than I cared to do. I've got one more day to go so I've been applying the tape more and more liberally in an attempt to hold it shut.

The handle simply separated at its attachment point, and it doesn't appear I'll be able to re-attach it.. especially here at the campsite. Long-term I'm still not 100% sure what to do but I know I don't like these hinged windows any more!! It's a good thing it didn't fly completely off and hit another vehicle..

So tonight I'm taking inventory of my duct tape, hopefully I have enough for the trip home tomorrow I think I have zip ties somewhere if I can just fashion a way to punch a couple of holes.

Oh also check out the pic with my truck and camper.. that stuff on the grass right at the edge of my gravel pad, bikes and stuff... all belong to the campers in the next spot. They have all their stuff unloaded and completely took up the entire grass area between our two pads. It's a good thing I'm just here for an overnight spot and aren't unpacking!!! But seriously, how rude. (since I took that picture I see they've put up a gazebo tent that encroaches even closer to my rig)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7594.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	27539   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7596.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	27540   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7597.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	27541   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7599.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	27542   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7600.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	27543  

Name:	IMG_7601.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	27544   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7602.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	27545  
"The Cabin v2" 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Fastway e2 round bar WDH
crk112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 04:05 PM   #2
roadglide

I don’t know about the window repair. Here in New Mexico during memorial day it’s campers and tents on top of tents all the state parks are closed for overnight camping. I would bet there going to be a big bash in your area.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:11 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Sorry to hear about the window. Don't know about it because I never open any of mine (thank goodness). I've noticed that those taking kids tend to disregard any accepted rules and encroach on anything/everything. I know it's only one night so probably not worth the effort to you, but I try to enlighten "them" any time I encounter them. They encroach and abuse folks and go happily on their way repeating the process everywhere they go unless they understand their bounds. Same for cutting thru sites, loose/unrestrained dogs, picking up etc. Everyone has to do their share to make sure that not only they, but everyone else, is able to enjoy their time out.

Edit: Upon re-reading want to make sure you understand that I am not referencing you. When I said "everyone must do their share" I was talking about anyone that uses a campground and camps with/by other people. It is THEIR responsibility to know and follow good camping etiquette. Sorry any confusion that may have caused.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:21 PM   #4
meaz93*

That's not what I call a respectful camper? I've never encountered a situation like that....but for 1 night we let it slide, but numerous days & nights is a problem. I'd go to the park sup first, than if it persists move to a new site with some compensation hopefully.
The wife and I....like everybody else, goes camping to relax and get away> bringing the dogs as well-lol (Always picking up after them-Big Pet Peeve of mine for those who do not!)
I don't mind a little confrontation from time to time, but shouldn't have to when out camping. My wife tells me that I am SO VERY social when camping> not so much in public?-lol
Bottom line is let the park handle it[emoji41]Click image for larger version

Name:	20200418_151026.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	27546
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:37 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

People traversing thru a campsite that I paid for will be confronted by me first, then the park manager. At one CG years ago we had people behind us that continuously cut thru our site to go to the bath house. On their second return trip they found me setting in their site. When they asked why I was there I said "your using my site more than I am so I thought I'd come over here where it wasn't as crowded." Then I asked them if they had any beer. The DW said I was rude but the idiots didn't come thru our site any more.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:14 PM   #6
Cbrez

Thanks for posting great pics. I had the same issue several years ago. I happened to be in Florida at the time. I called a RV dealer in Tampa to get the replacement part. If I remember correctly, there were two different arm lengths. Once I confirmed the arm length, they ordered and shipped the part to me.

The pics you posted show two bolts connecting the existing latch to the window rail. Mine is the same. However the replacement part I received only had a single bolt connection. I drilled a new hole, bolted on the new part and haven’t had a problem since. If the duct tape isn’t holding, you can remove the two bolts from the broken latch and wire the window shut from the inside.

It’s an easy repair, you just need to be in the same place long enough to get the part shipped to you.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:26 PM   #7
travelin texans

Mine window did the same only on the back window that someone passing alerted me. Fortunately I had bailing wired that I looped around the 2 bolts/rivets shown on the window & looped around that rectangular block, held for about a week til new handle arrived.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 03:57 PM   #8
Frank G

With all that tape there must be serious positive pressure inside the unit. If you have the cover over the roof vent you can open the roof vent to re-leave some pressure going down the road. A negative inside pressure going down the road will help to keep that window closed.

My first thought was to put a short sheet metal screw between the rivets and secure it with wire, as previously stated.

I always carry some Gorilla Tape, the true 100mph tape.

Good Luck
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:15 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
With all that tape there must be serious positive pressure inside the unit. If you have the cover over the roof vent you can open the roof vent to re-leave some pressure going down the road. A negative inside pressure going down the road will help to keep that window closed.

My first thought was to put a short sheet metal screw between the rivets and secure it with wire, as previously stated.

I always carry some Gorilla Tape, the true 100mph tape.

Good Luck
Gorilla tape is a life saver when needed. I will say that I can't imagine a camper being sealed so tight a vacuum sets up; my trailer probably leaks enough to ensure good airflow with the windows all closed. If I had to stop that window from opening, would drill a hole through the outer frame and put a sheet metal screw in as a temp measure rather than duct tape all over the outside. When I got home and did the repair with the new handle would just fill the hole with the dreaded silicon caulk. Or heck, a tiny bit of Gorilla duct tape!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:11 PM   #10
FlyingAroundRV

At the risk of hijacking the thread. We've encountered numerous camping groups that want to sit outside around the fire chatting until 4:00 am. In most campgrounds it is VERY quiet at night and voices carry a long way. But when they're practically sitting under your bedroom window chatting, it gets real old around 2 o'clock in the morning.
If any of you are those people, please think about your neighbors' sleep.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:59 AM   #11
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by crk112 View Post
The handle simply separated at its attachment point, and it doesn't appear I'll be able to re-attach it.. especially here at the campsite. Long-term I'm still not 100% sure what to do
I'm assuming those two amber studs in the photo are rivets whose heads are on the bottom of the frame (because they appear to match the rivets on the pass-through frame piece). You would need to snip and remove them to extract the stripped piece and replace it with an entirely new handle assembly.

If you snip out the old piece on the road, you might be able to run something tough like baling twine through the resulting holes, then run the twine into the cabin and tie it off onto a dowel. That would at least give you positive latching for the rest of the trip.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:58 AM   #12
crk112

I've always tried to be considerate of others, and of course it really annoys me when others show no consideration for their fellow men and women. The icing on the cake is the folks who are so blatant and flippant about their lack of consideration... "it doesn't affect me or my stuff and until it does, I don't care". What's happening to people?? I'm 35 and the "adults" in the site next to me in Topeka the other night were hardly older than I am. They made no effort to say hi or ask if I needed room or simply move their stuff aside in case I did. I just brushed it off this time because I didn't need the space.

Anyway sorry about that diversion... it was just another thing I was dealing with right then lol.

I really appreciated the input about the window.. I'll that much of the ride home (Albuquerque to Minneapolis, I-40 to I-35) I had crosswinds from the right, creating a lower pressure on the left side of the rig where that window is. I had all the other windows and vents shut, although I strongly considered opening the bathroom vent to try and create lower pressure inside. I've read about that pulling in road dust though so I didn't follow through on that.

Whenever the window popped open it would hang open several inches and occasionally flap out near-horizontal. Every so often it would slam shut and a piece of the duct tape would grab and hold it shut for a few seconds. I'd slow down to 50-55mph while looking for a place to pull over... (funny how there never is a good spot right away; made me really think hard about how badly I wanted that window shut lol).

The mention about the baling wire clicked on the light bulb for me.. I recalled that I had a roll of copper wire in one of my toolboxes, so barely a five minute fix! I didn't even have to knock out any rivets, I could just wire it through and around the latch as-is, and the window frame where the "window handle" passes through was a perfect hole to pull it shut against.

I think I'm going to look for a slider to replace it with (finished area is about 23 1/2" x 37 1/2"). If I just replace the handle and latch I suppose I expect it to fail again in another 8,000 miles.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7615.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	27596  
"The Cabin v2" 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Fastway e2 round bar WDH
crk112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:19 AM   #13
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by crk112 View Post
I think I'm going to look for a slider to replace it with (finished area is about 23 1/2" x 37 1/2"). If I just replace the handle and latch I suppose I expect it to fail again in another 8,000 miles.
I don't imagine that that latch failing is a common thing. If you replace the window with a slider, you're not going to have an "escape window" anymore, so the rig won't be "in code." I don't know if that might cause you a problem reselling it.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:03 PM   #14
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I don't imagine that that latch failing is a common thing. If you replace the window with a slider, you're not going to have an "escape window" anymore, so the rig won't be "in code." I don't know if that might cause you a problem reselling it.
This broken handle happened twice on mine, the second time I wired it permanently shut & put the new handle in a drawer for the next owner. On the rear of that 5er there was the broken latch on the escape window behind the couch, which is what kept breaking the latch, the couch had to be moved several feet away to use that escape window. There was another escape window on the end of the couch, about 3' from the one behind the couch, that you could access without moving the couch.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:03 PM   #15
wiredgeorge

I have the type windows where half the window at the bottom cranks out and have little plastic knobs to do the cranking. I have replaced them all as the plastic was brittle when I first got the trailer and they kind crumbled. You would expect them to make these knobs out of aluminum or something but plastic seems to be the benefit of a cheap and older trailer.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:02 AM   #16
Ncgrandma

Same thing happened to us a few years ago. DH ended up screwing the bottom of the window shut.
Ncgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote