Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2018, 10:47 AM   #1
Pete A.

Cool Alaska doin it solo

Planning to do northern Canada and Alaska summer of 2019. Only issue is going solo. Any comments as to the pros and cons?
Pete A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:08 AM   #2
hornet28

Only con I can readily think of is no company. Depending on you that might get rather lonely

Pro
Do what you want when you want. No need for anyone having to compromise

This would include, stops, detours, extended conversing with strangers, eating when and where.

I take a trip or two a year of 3-5K alone. I can at times be a real loner. When I do this I searching out old cars and parts. So I do have contact with others but not while driving. I have a 63" semi sleeper on my 34' car trailer and that's my living quarters while I'm gone. My wife refers to it as my "Hobo Time". LOL Sometimes I'll be asked "where to next" and I'll say where ever the prospects or winds might take me.
Enjoy your trip!!
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:22 PM   #3
AlaskaJeff

Just a few things from driving the Alaska Highway a few times ... fuel stations in Canada can be a long way apart in some areas. Fuel in Canada is somewhat expensive. They go by liters and the average price per liter since Sept is about $1.36 (Canadian). With the exchange rate, a gallon of gas is about $4.00 American; a gallon of diesel is about $3.65 American. Some of the roads in the far north are affected by freeze/thaw and can be somewhat wavy. Potholes are common. There is also a lot of construction going on in either Canada or Alaska during the summer, for obvious reasons. You may want to bring more than one spare tire. Chipped/broken windows occur but since the roads are paved now that is probably less of an issue. These are some of the cons but probably worst case scenarios, except for the fuel prices.

For the pros, there are many. First, the country is beautiful. You will see wild animals (bears, wolves, caribou, moose, etc), big mountains, rivers and lakes, long days (bring window coverings, i.e. aluminum foil), big blue skies. You will meet many nice people who will be willing to help you if needed. There are plenty of places to dry camp along the way, including on the side of the road at a pullout. Many people do it.

Canada has pretty strict gun laws and if you plan on bringing one, I advise you thoroughly research this. You don't want any problems. Crime occurs but I have never witnessed anything or been a victim during my travels through Canada or Alaska.

I guess my only real important suggestions are to take your time travelling, plan fuel stops, and plan for as many unforeseen issues as you can.

You will have a great time and never forget your trip, that is for sure.
AlaskaJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:00 AM   #4
rjrelander

One major con that has been brought up here at least once is the time and expense for major (and debilitating minor) repairs when things "go south". When I drove up there with my parents in 1982, we came across a family who had been dry camping in a gravel pit waiting for transmission parts. I have a feeling that is how a lot of towns were settled over the years - wherever the covered wagon broke down.

I can't give you any pros since I don't have any practical experience but I like the idea of being able to do what you want and when you want. If you are even moderately "good with computers", you should really consider creating a travel blog of your adventures or at least create a thread here to keep us up to date.

Also, even though you are going solo, make sure to stay in contact with someone to let them know your current route and when to expect your next contact. And if you are even remotely considering going "way off the grid", please read "Into the Wild" by John Krakauer for an example of what can happen when things go terribly wrong.

EDIT: Apparently, Sean Penn directed a movie of the same name. I'm not really a movie guy. Anyway, everyone has a different version of what it means to go solo. We just don't want to hear about you being found in the woods by moose hunters.

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:35 AM   #5
Ddubya

We will also be going solo in 2019. No worries. If something happens we will just deal with it.

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:10 AM   #6
goducks

Solo? Going by yourself as in no other vehicles in the party or by yourself as in only one person in the tow vehicle?
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:20 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
Solo? Going by yourself as in no other vehicles in the party or by yourself as in only one person in the tow vehicle?
I was just going to ask the same question. Seems we're talking about two different things: One person alone going to Alaska and one vehicle with two or more people going to Alaska.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:25 AM   #8
rjrelander

I read it as "one person, one rig, one adventure" but I could be wrong. Beside objections from the DW (or maybe not, depending on what mood she's in), I could just about guarantee getting involved in something requiring either the Royal Canadian Mounted Police or Alaska National Guard helicopters.

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:24 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Randi,

I can imagine a few "Hold my beer and watch this" moments as well..... DW's objections typically keep me "restrained and safe" from my often "ill thought ego".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 02:42 PM   #10
kjohn

I have been on the Alaska Highway three times now from wherever it starts, but only as far as Whitehorse. Generally, the roads are good, all paved, and, of course, lots of construction in summer. I saw hundreds of US rigs going both ways. A very enjoyable trip. We've been to Yellowknife three times as well..

No big tips. Buy fuel when you can, get a good map, and go for it. As far as Canada's gun laws, well, they are different than yours, that's for certain. Crossing the border either way puts you under another government's laws. As a Canadian boy, I can bring my "welcoming committee" long gun, but not my "restricted", i.e. handguns. That's part of what keeps me from going into Alaska. So be it. I can struggle along touring Canadian roads.

If you decide to go, have fun and safe trip!
Old 12-28-2018, 04:48 PM   #11
notanlines

We have made the trip from Winnipeg to Dawson, on over by ferry on to Chicken, Alaska. on more than one occasion. If you haven't experienced Chicken, Alaska, well, well, hmmmm. I can't seem to think of anything great to say about Chicken.
Our trips were never made solo. Solo is, simply put, by yourself. I would not make the trip without my DW. The support we receive from each other gives us the confidence to make most any trip.
Remember your Boy Scout motto: Be prepared. All of the above posts were on the money. Two spares, extra tools, extra batteries, water on board and a couple days serious snacks just in case....
And take so many pictures that even your mother gets tired of looking at them. You won't regret it down the road.
Lordy, I wish we were going with you!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:41 PM   #12
Pete A.

solo Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I was just going to ask the same question. Seems we're talking about two different things: One person alone going to Alaska and one vehicle with two or more people going to Alaska.....
Yep a true solo Truck, Trailer an' me......widowed,retired, lookin for something new
Pete A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:44 PM   #13
Brentw

Lots of good advise given, spare gear, maps, time. Once west, I would suggest, Glacier Natl park in Montana. Then decide up to Calgary Alberta-prairies and foot hills ( hwy 93/ 22 )or Golden BC - river valley/ mtns ( hwy 93/95). Then into Banff park, North to Jasper park, Prince George, 97 north to Dawson Creek and start of the Alcan.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:26 PM   #14
cvin

Safety- garmin inreach

Have no idea how cell service would be up there but i would definitely take a garmin inreach

Good backup/safety
Old 01-03-2019, 08:59 AM   #15
WaltBennett

I drove up from Mississippi to Fairbanks (through Portal, etc.) solo in a van back in '75 (USAF transfer). Back then it had 1,100 miles of dirt road, but I found that it was smoother than new asphalt! Made the trip in late May to early June so I beat all the tourists and Canada had resurfaced everything. No problems, high fuel costs even then. No real deadline to get to Eielson AFB as I had two weeks to make the trip. Got to make detours here and there and stop whenever I wanted to see the sights. Great trip!

Coming back in October '76 was a completely different story as that was when they'd started paving it and there was no end of roadwork. No fun at all.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:35 AM   #16
siberian

Having moved from Hawaii to Alaska over 11 years ago, I find the some of the same misconceptions about grass skirts and hula girls as replies dealing with the Last Frontier. So from 20 miles NW of Fairbanks here are my thoughts for what it’s worth.

Canada: Here are some don’ts. You can’t bring in any firearms whether for sport self defense etc. That means no guns period. Declaring them means you’ll pick them up on your way out. If they catch you, let’s just leave it at that. You can’t bring in any pepper spray of any flavor :-). You are not allowed to overnight in pullouts. Have we done it? Yes. Have we been caught? Yes. Moving on. Gas is in liters as the rest of the world is metric. Keep that in mind when filling up but mostly in the cost of a gallon in US dollars equivalent. Please know that if you have been convicted of any crime you will not be allowed into Canada. A friend had a marijuana offense in the 70s and to this day he can’t traverse Canada to get to Alaska from WA.

Alaska: Tires. I can’t emphasize enough the need to bring along as many spare tires as you can. Most of our blow outs were from shredded tires so though a flat repair kit should be part of your essential toolkit, in our cases it would have been worthless. Bring a good toolkit and some obvious spares (fan belt…). Gas. Distances are huge as is the distance between gas stations. Calculate and never pass a chance to fill up. Carry at least ten gallons of spare gas. When camping in pullouts or off the grid do NOT, for example, throw your used pasta water out the door. It attracts wildlife. Look out before exiting. Do NOT let Fido go out unattended to relieve itself (pictures in Valdez of a tiny dog being carried off by an eagle made headlines a few years back). Mind the road. Edges are treacherous and fall off at the slightest weight. Keep an eye out for wildlife. A lot of casualties in Alaska are due to hitting moose. When you hit one, you chop the legs off and the antlers come through the windshield (a male bull can weigh over 1000 pounds. Thus f=m*a…). If you’re going hunting or fishing get a permit. Remember some areas are private (tribal), others are for residents only (Chitina dip netting for example). Read and obey the rules concerning what/where etc. Penalties are extreme and are enforced so that we can enjoy the bounties of this great land as well as enable our children and grandchildren to enjoy them.

But above all use common sense. I hope you’ll have a great trip. Happy New Year from all of us at Kolohe Siberians

The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow
siberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:59 AM   #17
notanlines

Uh, not so fast, Nunuk of the North. I’m sure you have good intentions, but your facts are skewered.
https://www.northernontario.travel/hunting/crossing-the-canada-us-border-how-to-legally-bring-your-hunting-rifle-into-canada
Better info to be had here.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:05 PM   #18
siberian

I guess I took my statement based on living here and going into Canada fairly regularly in summer and from :

https://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the...m-into-canada/

thus erring on the side of caution as it's up to the border agent's discretion to allow you in or not.

I'm not sure what nunuk is nor what you're referring to, unless you mean Nanook. Let's try and remain polite shall we?

Old 01-09-2019, 07:02 PM   #19
gearhead

Yeah I'm wanting to go to Alaska. But it's a long haul from Houston area. And it would be solo. I ain't dragging the 5th to Alaska. Cabover, yes. So that means just me. No problem with that, it just takes a looong time.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:38 PM   #20
siberian

You have several choices once you get into or near Canada. You can take the ferry from Vancouver or Prince Rupert in BC to Haines/Skagway and then drive the rest of the way in and out of BC, the Yukon and Alaska or opt to take either the Cassiar Highway or the Alcan. I would recommend taking the Cassiar if you want a scenic drive as the 1,000+ miles of the Alcan is straight and pretty boring. The Cassiar though is demanding in the sense that although it is fully paved the edges are tricky and need your full attention on the wheel. Be prepared to see plenty of wildlife seasonally (buffalo, deer, bears...).

The ferry is easier and less of a strain though not cheap and of course depend on timetables should it suit your needs.

I don't know where your end destination in Alaska is, but Beaver Creek the US/Canadian border is about 600 odd miles from Fairbanks. Please note the Beaver Creek border US side is separated by 22 miles from the Canadian border post though the actual Canadian border begins just past the US checkpoint (there was just no suitable place to build the Canadian post due to permafrost etc. closer)*. Make sure you always fill up and take note of the mileage to the next town/village as you make your way north/south.

Still it's a wonderful trip, not a race if you decide to make the trip with or without a towed camper. And again. Bring as many spare tires as you can, fill up when possible and be safe

siberian

* Source US Border & Customs