Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2020, 08:05 AM   #1
quantum743

Bike Rack Recommendations?

We recently purchased a new Cougar Half-ton 29RDB and it has an accessory hitch already mounted. After a little research I found out a lot of manufacturers don't approve their bike racks on the back of a trailer because of the extra abuse.

We are currently looking at the Thule Range as it holds 4 bikes and states RV approved, but apparently the adapter bars for non standard frames (Kids bikes and wifes bike) aren't approved for racks on a trailer.

What bike racks do you use behind your trailer?
quantum743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:41 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The rear bumper/bike rack area is the roughest riding part of any travel trailer. Some people tow a lifetime with no problems/damage to their bikes, others don't make it to the first destination before they either discover damage or even lose their bikes, the rack and half the receiver....

Have you considered a roof rack for your tow vehicle? I understand that Keystone installs a receiver, so it must be "OK" to use it.... but many times using something that "was added to sell trailers and because Jayco adds one" may not be the "wisest solution for the end user"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:14 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Take your bike to a basketball court. Lift it about 2' off the ground then start bouncing it like a basketball for a couple of hours (or however long you plan to drive). See how it fares. I think the forces on the back of the camper will be pretty well replicated.

JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:04 PM   #4
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum743 View Post
We recently purchased a new Cougar Half-ton 29RDB and it has an accessory hitch already mounted. After a little research I found out a lot of manufacturers don't approve their bike racks on the back of a trailer because of the extra abuse.

We are currently looking at the Thule Range as it holds 4 bikes and states RV approved, but apparently the adapter bars for non standard frames (Kids bikes and wifes bike) aren't approved for racks on a trailer.

What bike racks do you use behind your trailer?
Well I don't carry my bikes out of sight. Sometimes you nee to think out of the box. We carry our bikes on the pin Box. They ride smoother far less bounce at the pin box than the back bumper.

This is the design process. Leveled 5er and drew a level line on the angle iron.

Finished receiver installed.

Rack with bikes, have had a another poster state they did with a four bike rack on a short bed.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 06:11 PM   #5
Cbrez

We had a “snow plow” receiver installed under the front bumper. The bikes pick up a few bugs but otherwise ride very well up front. We have quick release clamps for the seat posts so we can remove the seats when traveling and face the handlebars towards the passenger side so there is no visual interference. Even DW can see just fine driving down the road. Biggest drawback is that it makes us approx 24” longer with the front mounted bike rack. Occasionally this comes into play in some campgrounds. Bike Rack folds up for around town.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:29 AM   #6
quantum743

Clearly not a popular idea. I thought I would share my experience if there are others that are interested. After research I went with the Yakima Long Haul that is designed for behind trailers and RVs. It is a very heavy and well built unit with a stabilizer built into the hitch. It actually bolts to the hitch eliminating play in the bike rack. The bike rack is fixed, IE doesn't fold away from the camper. Unfortunately you can't access the rear storage without unmounting the whole thing.

The weight limits per bike is a little low, but I weighed each bike and made sure they are under the limit. I then mounted the bikes and was impressed with how stable they were. We had friends follow us on our first trip ~70 miles and they reported little movement aside from moving with the bike rack.

I believe this will work for us, but to each their own.
quantum743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:34 AM   #7
Steve's 70-5

Best bike rack is Kuat. Get the top line unit. I think Nv2.0.

Joe Walsh
Steve's 70-5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, bike rack, rack