Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2019, 05:32 PM   #41
sgrol

It will run at the last speed selected on the Dometic therm. All previous settings on the Dometic will continue when power (12v) is restored by the Honeywell.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:27 PM   #42
08quadram

I have a 2019 Bullet 269rls. I've noticed our ac short cycling. Seems like the compressor kicks in though. I pulled the cover off the inside of the AC unit and noticed that the white foam designed to insulate return from supply was loose and had gaps at the top and side. I reattached and turned the unit back on. It seemed to work fine after that, but it very well could have been a coincidence as it doesn't always short cycle.
1-wife / 1-dog / 2-kids
08quadram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:44 PM   #43
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.2 Superduty View Post
I hope this works but I have a question. If the dometic thermostat is set to 55 degrees and the new analog thermostat is set to the desired temperature what speed would the fan run? I will assume high.
It runs at whatever speed the Dometic thermostat is set up for. Your just using the analog thermostat as a thermostatic switch to turn the power on and off to the Dometic thermostat. The Dometic thermostat retains the last settings when it powers off.

So I have it set up for auto fan and 55 degrees. When the Honeywell thermostat gets to the setpoint to turn on the AC it simply turns on power to the Dometic thermostat and the AC runs just like it would normally. The fan adjusts speed from high to low as it would normally do. If you have the Dometic thermostat set to high or low then that's what the fan will run at.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:33 AM   #44
CampingRooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08quadram View Post
I have a 2019 Bullet 269rls. I've noticed our ac short cycling. Seems like the compressor kicks in though. I pulled the cover off the inside of the AC unit and noticed that the white foam designed to insulate return from supply was loose and had gaps at the top and side. I reattached and turned the unit back on. It seemed to work fine after that, but it very well could have been a coincidence as it doesn't always short cycle.
You may want to check the supply power. I had a similar problem on our way through Utah; We pulled into a KOA for the night and it was pretty warm still at night so we turned on the AC before going to bed. During the night I felt uncomfortably warm and woke up find the AC was on but it was really wasn't pushing much air out. I opened it up to see if something was obstructing the flow and found nothing. So rather than burning up the unit and loosing more sleep, I shut it down for the night, opened all the windows and broke out the fans. The next morning, I turned it on and it worked flawlessly. When we got home I went through the unit, hooked it up to my generator and ran it all day with fan on high -- 100 outside and a cool 75 inside! No issues what so ever. I chocked it up to a sudden drop in voltage at the campsite however I really never had a chance to check it thoroughly.
CampingRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:46 AM   #45
sgrol

Rooster, You need a EMS to protect your RV's electrical. If you had low voltage it would have cut off the power protecting your appliances.

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/our-products
Old 08-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #46
CampingRooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrol View Post
Rooster, You need a EMS to protect your RV's electrical. If you had low voltage it would have cut off the power protecting your appliances.

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/our-products
I'm completely with you. In fact, knowing that we would be staying at at least 8 different campgrounds this trip, I had a new one. However, it did me no good sitting on my workbench at home and I had already gotten rid of the my original one. It could have been a lot worse I know. The funny thing was I rationalized not buying another one on the road as "I'll be fine. I've never had a problem before and besides we have breakers". This is a good advertisement for surge protectors and Darwinism.
CampingRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:46 AM   #47
jsm180

I use this to check voltage before the ac gets powered on.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-15-2019, 08:15 PM   #48
Steveo57

Quote:
I hope this works but I have a question. If the dometic thermostat is set to 55 degrees and the new analog thermostat is set to the desired temperature what speed would the fan run? I will assume high.
I've been playing with this for a few days now and there's a few minor issues that I have noticed.

You can't run the AC with the fan on Low or Hi and have the fan stay on when it reaches setpoint. When it gets to the set temperature the Honeywell thermostat kills power to the Dometic thermostat and it shuts down everything. So your fan will cycle on and off like it would with the Dometic but you can't have it run continuously when in the heat or cool modes.

If you set the temperature setpoint on the Dometic at say 55 or 60 degrees to prevent it from cycling the AC then the fan will always run in high speed if you have the fan set for auto. It won't shift to low speed when the temperature is within four degrees like it normally would because the setpoint is so far down. I have been trying a setpoint on the Dometic of 3 degrees lower than the Honeywell as that let's the Dometic shift the fan speed as it would normally.

All in all it's working good. Just have to deal with the few little quirks but they don't really bother me.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:43 AM   #49
6.2 Superduty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo57 View Post
I've been playing with this for a few days now and there's a few minor issues that I have noticed.

You can't run the AC with the fan on Low or Hi and have the fan stay on when it reaches setpoint. When it gets to the set temperature the Honeywell thermostat kills power to the Dometic thermostat and it shuts down everything. So your fan will cycle on and off like it would with the Dometic but you can't have it run continuously when in the heat or cool modes.

If you set the temperature setpoint on the Dometic at say 55 or 60 degrees to prevent it from cycling the AC then the fan will always run in high speed if you have the fan set for auto. It won't shift to low speed when the temperature is within four degrees like it normally would because the setpoint is so far down. I have been trying a setpoint on the Dometic of 3 degrees lower than the Honeywell as that let's the Dometic shift the fan speed as it would normally.

All in all it's working good. Just have to deal with the few little quirks but they don't really bother me.
I assumed it would run on high with the the dometic thermostat set low. Further research looks like most are running in low or high instead of auto. Since the problem we are having is early in the morning when the outside temperature is lower than the inside I will just turn the unit yto the off position. This is a poor design that apears can't be fixed.
6.2 Superduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:23 AM   #50
Wally Dad

Same issue Here, But...

So let me add to the weirdness of this "short cycle" discussion. In our 2018 3950BR we experience this (fan turns on, then off after 45 seconds - no compressor and then repeats) but only with the bedroom A/C. It is consistently happening only when the door is closed! Rarely, it will happen with the door open in the very early morning. I agree with the consensus that it is probably related to the thermostat, but I have no idea how. We also have the touch issue in that, occasionally, the touch sensors go bonkers and the only way to fix it is to remove the cover for a while. I thought it might be due to humidity, but we have a dehumidifier and keep the trailer around 40%. I'm following this to see if anyone comes up with a definitive answer to either of these issues.

By the way, for those Dometic has provided new thermostats, are they sending you the new bluetooth version? That could help solve the touch sensor issue.
Wally Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:30 AM   #51
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Dad View Post
So let me add to the weirdness of this "short cycle" discussion. In our 2018 3950BR we experience this (fan turns on, then off after 45 seconds - no compressor and then repeats) but only with the bedroom A/C. It is consistently happening only when the door is closed! Rarely, it will happen with the door open in the very early morning. I agree with the consensus that it is probably related to the thermostat, but I have no idea how. We also have the touch issue in that, occasionally, the touch sensors go bonkers and the only way to fix it is to remove the cover for a while. I thought it might be due to humidity, but we have a dehumidifier and keep the trailer around 40%. I'm following this to see if anyone comes up with a definitive answer to either of these issues.

By the way, for those Dometic has provided new thermostats, are they sending you the new bluetooth version? That could help solve the touch sensor issue.
Some interesting data points. I thought about trying the Bluetooth one as that would be nice to grab the phone in the morning and crank up the heat before getting out of bed. But it looks like it suffers from the same issues and it still has the CT faceplate. Read the reviews on Amazon and you'll see.

If only we could get to the right people at Dometic who know how these thermostats are designed I'll bet they could tell you exactly what the problem is.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:44 AM   #52
Motasyco

If nothing else, I feel better knowing I'm not the only one having this issue.

Very early morning, fan set to auto, fan comes on, wait to hear compressor, no compressor, fan goes back off, very soon the fan comes back on, no compressor, fan goes back off. Continues until I change anything on the thermostat. Of course that's not long because I can't lay there listening to it do that.

I'm curious now what would happen if I only touch the thermostat causing it to light up but change nothing. If the fan cycling stops or the compressor comes on with the fan, that sure would lead me to believe that my less than two week old thermostat has issues. If the fan keeps cycling, I still can't eliminate the thermostat.

The two thermostat setup is clever but one thermostat should be all that's needed do the job. Even if it requires a Faraday cage.
Motasyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 01:53 PM   #53
wmyers

My father in law had this same issue. If I read right, the OP said he'd replaced pretty much everything except the wiring.
Well, that's exactly where our problem was. There was a staple that had just barely penetrated the thermostat wiring behind a wall and was the cause of the short cycling.
This is easy to test by just getting a new length of thermostat wire and running a connection directly to the thermostat.
It took us over a year and hundreds of dollars in wasted parts and repair time to track this simple issue down.

Hopefully helpful.
wmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:51 AM   #54
LarBo

AC/Heat Short Cycle Solved

My AC and furnace were both short cycling. The thermistor located in the Dometic T-stat that senses the room temperature appears to be too sensative. The low tech fix is to remove the cover and you will see the thermistor on the lower right corner marked RT1. I gently pushed a small ball of soft non-setting plumbers putty over this to insulate. Works great now. I even set my differential back to 1 degree. Hope this work for you.
LarBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 03:24 PM   #55
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarBo View Post
I gently pushed a small ball of soft non-setting plumbers putty over this to insulate. Works great now.
Ooh, clever! Artificial hysteresis enhancement. I'll remember that one!
Old 02-25-2020, 08:54 PM   #56
6.2 Superduty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarBo View Post
My AC and furnace were both short cycling. The thermistor located in the Dometic T-stat that senses the room temperature appears to be too sensative. The low tech fix is to remove the cover and you will see the thermistor on the lower right corner marked RT1. I gently pushed a small ball of soft non-setting plumbers putty over this to insulate. Works great now. I even set my differential back to 1 degree. Hope this work for you.
I will try your fix
I have always thought the thermostat was too sensitive
Others have tried replacing the thermostat but it looks like you are the first to modify it.
6.2 Superduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 02:55 AM   #57
Wally Dad

Short Cycle Putty Fix

Quote:
I will try your fix
I have always thought the thermostat was too sensitive
Others have tried replacing the thermostat but it looks like you are the first to modify it.
Hey there. Any luck with this fix? Just checking in with the same problem now that we are back in the heat and humidity of Florida

K.
Wally Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:49 PM   #58
kevinmb61

We have the same exact issue, short cycle, works pretty good during the hot part of the day. Dometic brisk 2 unit. The unit may be 2 years old, we had a new thermostat put in, still the same issue. Ours to is not freezing up. Blows cold cold when it runs normally. We changed the capacitor even though it checked out.We feel it has to do w/ thermostat, or the thermister, not the freeze sensor.

What has ultimately been the best answer fix? as this post is older, we are at wits end......
thx Kevin
kevinmb61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:53 AM   #59
Fireduck

Same issue

I'm still having the exact same issue as the OP. This is ridiculous! Has anyone figured out anything that will correct this problem? How is the plumbers putty working out long term?
Fireduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:53 PM   #60
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireduck View Post
I'm still having the exact same issue as the OP. This is ridiculous! Has anyone figured out anything that will correct this problem? How is the plumbers putty working out long term?
OP here. Still have not resolved the issue. I gave up on fixing it for a while but have dug back in to it recently. I've been going back and forth with Dometic for weeks now with nothing new to report.

Tags
dometic