Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2019, 03:30 AM   #1
Spletbr

Cable at camp site

I plugged into cable at a recent rv park stop. Ran the tv through the channel set up/recognize process and set input to cable. Nothing. Do you think it was bad output at the park or a setting I’m not changing inside?
Spletbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:53 AM   #2
{tpc}

Most parks I have been to, that had working cable, also had a small "cable box" that could be rented from them for a small fee and security deposit. So you may want to inquire with those running the place.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:04 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

You did turn the booster OFF before the channel scan?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:50 AM   #4
Spletbr

I’m embarrassed to say, but... what booster? We just have the over air antenna, not sure how everything works
Old 05-06-2019, 12:02 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spletbr View Post
I’m embarrassed to say, but... what booster? We just have the over air antenna, not sure how everything works
No need to be embarrassed, we’ve all been where your at now.

If you follow the coax from the TV to the wall plate, there should be a small push button on the right side. If the booster is “ON” the light is lit. If the booster is OFF the light is off.

If that particular tv coax just connects to a plate without any light or button, then the button/light will be at another location for a TV.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:04 PM   #6
Spletbr

I do have a small button there! Will try that next time. ��
Old 05-06-2019, 12:11 PM   #7
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Where the cable connects with the wall there is probably a small button with a LED light next to it. Cable = booster off
Over the Air = booster on
Click image for larger version

Name:	%24_57.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	21740

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:20 PM   #8
NH_Bulldog

What year/model is your unit? Many units built after August 2018 use the KeyTV system which doesn't have a booster that can be turned on/off.
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:24 PM   #9
Spletbr

You guys are great
Old 05-08-2019, 03:47 AM   #10
Spletbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
What year/model is your unit? Many units built after August 2018 use the KeyTV system which doesn't have a booster that can be turned on/off.
Built 8/29/18, with in-command system. Does seton have the booster button described above
Old 05-08-2019, 08:52 AM   #11
{tpc}

Ha! I forgot about the booster button! I've had my share of go arounds with that thing...or forgetting about it lol.

I believe it is also a slight vampire drain on the battery as well when you aren't hooked to shore power. Probably not that much though. Biggest one I have is the radio system I think. I do need to put a switch on that, or one on the battery itself.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:28 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

You have at least 4 "phantom drains" on the battery. The Carbon Monoxide (CO) monitor, the Propane (LPG) monitor, the radio memory/backlight system and the TV OTA booster amplifier.

On some trailers there are other drains that you can control (if you remember to turn them on/off: The thermostat, if left in FURN or AIR will continue to draw a small bit of power, even if the trailer is unplugged from shore power (A/C inoperable) the thermostat system is still functional and drawing power, so turn the thermostat OFF to prevent that drain.

As you indicated, the most positive way to eliminate ALL the phantom drains is to either disconnect the batteries or install a "battery cutoff switch (on either the POS or NEG battery cable. Which to use is a debate that we've never resolved with well over 30 years of discussion, so asking "which one" will not get you an answer that all will agree with the poster.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:40 PM   #13
LHaven

Quote:
Built 8/29/18, with in-command system. Does seton have the booster button described above
Don't understand "seton," but... I have a 2019 with inCommand, still have the amplifier button and LED.

Last time I went through this process at a campground (with the amp off), it turned out it wasn't "plain cable," but you had to put a hefty deposit on a DirecTV receiver, figure out how to hook it up in your rig, and then return it on the way out.

My dogs were extremely disappointed to discover that their favorite cable channel, Animal Planet, no longer shows any actual animals (unless you count poachers and game wardens). I suppose I should have seen that coming when MTV stopped playing actual music.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:29 AM   #14
maddogrdhg

Campground cable

We have been to a few that use different signal that would require a box. Most importantly is some didn't require a box but the signal was so weak we couldn't get much. Neighbors said it depended on where you were in the park. They were slowly upgrading the coax etc.
maddogrdhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:45 AM   #15
TeamTurner

Backwards Labeling

On our Cougar the Cable and Satellite were labeled wrong. Had to plug cable into the Satellite jack. Very common issue. Most campgrounds have a device to test the cable at their box to make sure it is coming through.
TeamTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:31 AM   #16
LHaven

Are you saying you have two jacks, or just that your cable jack is labeled Satellite?

On my Cougar, I have only one jack (that I've found, anyway). It's labeled Satellite, but I've run camp cable through it with no problems (other than the fact that the yutzes located it UNDER the license plate, a truly bonehead fail).
Old 05-13-2019, 01:06 PM   #17
TeamTurner

Yep we have two outside connections side by side. One is for satellite and one for cable but the labeling is switched. We have worked at several campgrounds and have seen this on too many RV's and now we have one too!
TeamTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:14 AM   #18
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogrdhg View Post
We have been to a few that use different signal that would require a box. Most importantly is some didn't require a box but the signal was so weak we couldn't get much. Neighbors said it depended on where you were in the park. They were slowly upgrading the coax etc.
Some older tv's only read analog signals. Some campgrounds have upgraded to all digital cable signals. In those places if you have an older unit you may need to rent the box. I was at a CG couple weeks ago that had 48 channels. When I ran the scan I had 96, 48 digital and the same 48 in analog. No box would be needed there.

On my rig the two sat and one cable input all run into a splitter then goes to the l/r where it is split back out to sat plate and cab/ant plate. All I guess to save on cable runs. All they accomplished was add so many splitters my satellite won't work unless I rewire the whole camper. I just stream internet now.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable