Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2013, 03:06 AM   #1
Scorn

Can I tow this camper?

I know from reading this forum most will say no, but I can't afford a new truck and a new camper.

I am thinking of buying the Premier 22RBPR.The dry weight is around 4,600lbs and I am towing with a Tacoma DC 4WD with a 141" wheelbase and a blue ox sway control.

The truck has an 11,0000 GCVWR, trailor 6,500 GVWR, truck is 4,100 for a total of 10,600lbs.

W all know about the tow rating of 6,500 and tongue wt of 650lbs, I will be over a 1,000 lbs below this and at 600 tongue wt.

I remember years ago I pulled a Prowler 26ft inside, with a Chevy Astro van and had no problems. I will admit when i went from WV to Fl I could have used some more torque in the mountains.

I know I will get blasted but go ahead.
Scorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:38 AM   #2
davidjsimons

I am not going to blast you about what your truck should not be doing. I think you may already have a feel for the answer to the question that you have posed. From the stand point of what your truck is capable of towing, you most likely will get a quick feel for that, but do consider, given its capacity, what can I safely tow? And how long will my truck be able to keep up this haul? Good luck with the decision that you make. I say that in all sincerity. Just remember, at the end of the day, it's all about being comfortable with yourself.
I have read the specs for what I believe is your truck. Really, I see no reason why you should not be able to handle this trailer. What you will have to watch is tongue weight, once you are loaded, and the effect that it is having on your payload capacity. Load your trailer wisely and scale it. Then you will truly know where you are. It is going to be a balancing act, but I believe that you are on the outer edge of being within the answer that you are seeking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:39 AM   #3
camper 2010

You said the DRY weight of the trailer is 4,500 lbs. Your Your truck has a GCVWR of 11,000 lbs. With the truck and trailer weight of 8,600 lbs. I don't know what the passengers weigh but you should be good if you watch what you load in the trailer...GO LIGHT.
camper 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:24 PM   #4
Ken / Claudia

I am with the others, numbers look ok, but you also need to feel safe. Try it. I would advise the common over looked item to check is the Truck TIRES. Make sure they can handle the wt. 10 ply tries will inprove the ride and saftey if you do not have them. Also try different psi's in them while towing. Max make be best but, lower could work to, you just need to try it. I found that my truck empty 50/55 psi was the best. When loaded I go 80 rear and 65 on front with a 4400 lb in bed camper. Pulling the TT with WD hitch 55 psi is all that needed in my truck. Good Luck.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:01 AM   #5
Scorn

Tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I am with the others, numbers look ok, but you also need to feel safe. Try it. I would advise the common over looked item to check is the Truck TIRES. Make sure they can handle the wt. 10 ply tries will inprove the ride and saftey if you do not have them. Also try different psi's in them while towing. Max make be best but, lower could work to, you just need to try it. I found that my truck empty 50/55 psi was the best. When loaded I go 80 rear and 65 on front with a 4400 lb in bed camper. Pulling the TT with WD hitch 55 psi is all that needed in my truck. Good Luck.
I am going to need tires as the ones I have now areat 44K. What brand would type would you reccomend?

Thanks
Scorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:59 AM   #6
Randy_K

http://ca.coopertire.com/Tires/Light...-DiscovererAT3

I run these "cooper discoverer at3" I have the 10 ply for my truck < 4X4 ) and have been very happy so far. They are very quiet on the road and good in the snow. Worth looking at IMHO.

Randy

2010 Ford F150 Screw, E rated tires and Air Lift
2013 Passport Elite 23RB
https://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps749334ca.jpg
Randy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:13 AM   #7
Paddler

Scorn,
What is the max payload of your truck? You should have a manufacturer's label on the driver's door that gives your specific truck's payload. If yours is anything like my previous truck's, your payload will be probable less than the weights listed in brochures or the operators manual.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #8
Ken / Claudia

Regarding tire type, I use Toyo M/T have used Toyo M55. Both get loud do to the type of tread as they wear down. I would suggest talking to a real tire expert, which I am not. I have found that 10 ply tires have different max load rating depending on the tire size. Mine are 3740 lbs, I have seen 10 plys at 3400 max.and I believe as low as 2800 lbs. I have a friend with a t-100 that was useing 6 plys, He got the M55s rated at 3740lbs on factory wheels and could not believe the difference, much better. He uses the truck on his farm and highway. Ken
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #9
SAABDOCTOR

HI as far as tires go you will get many opinions. the 2 other posters have given theirs and they are both good tires! buy the best tires and brakes you can afford! i have personally used both cooper and toyo also michelin goodrich the Goodrich tires did not last that long
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote