Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
MrAndy

Question Does anyone have an actual pin weight for 2013 Alpine 3450RL?

I'm considering the 2013 Alpine 3450RL, but want to find out the ACTUAL as-delivered pin weights for this unit, with options, battery, and propane filled.

All I have to go by is the sales brochure dry weights (no battery, propane, or options):

Shipping Weight 12529, Carrying Capacity 2971, Hitch 2240

Before ordering a unit, I wanted to find out the as-delivered pin weight with included options, battery, and propane installed (no cargo or water) to make sure I don't exceed my truck cargo capacity. Yes, I know you have to weigh the trailer with cargo to get real numbers, I just want to get an idea before I get too excited about the Alpines. I've already weighted the truck ('12 F350 PSD SRW), and hope I can get pin weights under 2800lb.

The main options I'm interested in are the front 2nd A/C, and the 6-point leveling system. I don't think any of the other options will have a large impact on pin weights.

So, if you have a unit and have weighed it (without cargo or water), could you post your weights, and list the options you added? I'd also welcome the same data for other Alpine floor plans.

Does anyone know if this information is available from Keystone?

Thanks, Andy
MrAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

As far as I know, the only information about weights that Keystone provides is that which is found on the labels when it is shipped from the factory - aka published weights - and even the accuracy of these are suspect. Since each person has their own individual cargo weights and the weight of other add-ons/options, it would be difficult for Keystone to provide any kind of accurate information.

Everybody packs their units differently and take along a variety of stuff - some more than others. Even the weight of "options" could be all over the map.

Hopefully, some of our Alpine owners who have weighed their unit(s), will provide some real numbers which will give you an idea of what you are looking at.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
PerryB

I'd be willing to bet its a solid 2500 lbs. My trailer claims a hitch weight of 2390 and its actually 2750 fully loaded. To be fair I must say that I carry a lot of stuff in my forward storage areas (which are huge) so my discrepancy may be greater than yours.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
mhs4771

Can't help with actual weight, but looking at the numbers I bet you'll be very close if not slightly over your 2800 Lb limit. If you work from the gross of 15.5K and use 20%, you're looking at 3100 Lbs. And again depending on what you put into the Front Genny storage area and basement will have an impact, not to mention what you do for batteries, and if you have 30 Lb or 40 Lb Propane tanks.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
walker1

I think a lot of the manufactures weights NOW are more accurate than in the past. My 2011 cougar xlite sab27 fiver has shipped weight sticker ( yellow), not dry, of 6920. This is with 2 30 lb propane and battery, tv, awning etc.
At my weigh in I got 6922 for a big difference of 2 pounds. The pin advertised I believe was 1090 and I was under 1100..............so very accurate from Keysone on my rig. Loaded for travel I had 16 % pin.
walker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
mhs4771

Walker1, I have to ask: You say the weight straight out the door from the factory was 6920 and you weighed it and came up with 6922. Have you ever gone back to the scales with the unit loaded for a trip?? Our rig left the factory at 14K and that was with no propane and only one "D" battery (not realy on the battery, but if it was any smaller a couple of Ds would have supplied as much juice). Now once we load up the 2 40Lb LP tanks, put in two group 29 batteries, maybe a 1/3 tank of fresh water and move in all our stuff for long term travel (we live in it approx 9 months) we're running at 17K with 4K on the pin.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
walker1

You said your rig leaving factory was 14 k............was this what you read or had from scales?

Yes, I must have weighed my combo ................no exaggeration 20 times as I live close to a scale. I had to be very particular as I chose a true LITE fiver and at the time had a 2010 max tow f150 with 7700 gvwr, 4050 rawr, 1550 payload. My truck pulled and braked fine but I did not like being at 99% capacity on rear axle and payload.

Loaded I weighed 8000- 8400 depending on destination.

upgraded to 2012 F350 PSD so I can feel better towing in the mountains of Alberta and BC where we like to frequent. With 2 little boys wife and me we are always adding weight so I bit the bullet and bought the big one!

For my combo at the time I had to leave truck bed almost empty and put contents in fiver. Also, my tank location was behind axle so water never effected my pin weight more than 20 pounds ever.

Your combo, being long term use is a different scenario all together.
walker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
CWtheMan

I suspect you will be able to hold your pin weight to 2600# or 2700#. The optional washer/dryer would most likely push it over 3000#.

When full timing in our Everest (14.1K GVWR) our pin weight hovered around 2700# all the time. Our washer/dryer is on the main floor level just forward of the front axle. We opted for a single 15K A/C to keep the weight of a second one off the front of the trailer.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote