Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
LeeMedic

Question K&N Air Filters

Has anyone replace their paper air filters with a K&N air filter in their TV and if so have you notice a performance/fuel consumption difference?

2013 Keystone Montana 3582RL 38'
2006 Ford F350 Dually, 8' bed, Diesel 6.0
Curt 20K Hitch
Retired U.S. Army
LeeMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
W.E.BGood

This can be a HUGE debate with vociferous arguments coming from both sides. There has been some ostensibly reliable scientific, objective study showing they do next-to-nothing. There are knowledgeable mechanics and engineers who present clear and convincing facts that do not spport manufactures' claims. There are customers who vehemently state they have observed increased fuel economy and/or performance gains from "seat-of-the-pants" impressions and some very rare, "genuine" dyno measurements that show nominal increases.

That said, I put one in my '08 Tundra after I got it, as I have a number of my vehicles for several previous years. I also pulled-out the charcoal intake screen (right or wrong). I can get 19-20 MPG highway unloaded which is 2-3 MPG more than the EPA rating, and this truck has "way plenty" power for me, especially off the line. Is it because of the K&N? I'm willing to leave it at "maybe, maybe not".

I also put one in my wife's 2010 2.4L AWD Toyota Matrix because the low-end acceleration was just ridiculously doggy. It DEFINITELY made an improvement (at least subjectively enough that she quit complaining about trying to get out of the stop signs into traffic on the highway).
W.E.BGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Check with the warranty requirements for YOUR vehicle. I had a K&N air filter on my '94 Ram/Cummins and found out that it did not meet the minimum standard for filtration set by Cummins. I do use K&N on all my gasoline engines but have found that AFE filters meet Cummins standards so I use one on the Ram. I don't want to start a war here and K&N may have improved filtration since '94 but this is MY story and I'm stickin' to it. Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Check with the warranty requirements for YOUR vehicle. I had a K&N air filter on my '94 Ram/Cummins and found out that it did not meet the minimum standard for filtration set by Cummins. I do use K&N on all my gasoline engines but have found that AFE filters meet Cummins standards so I use one on the Ram. I don't want to start a war here and K&N may have improved filtration since '94 but this is MY story and I'm stickin' to it. Hank
I have looked at these years ago, and would not put one on a gasser, let alone my Cummins. Dry paper does just fine for me! I know it works, and is recommended by Cummins, I am a few miles past warranty, my Cummins only has 251,000 miles on it.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
I have looked at these years ago, and would not put one on a gasser, let alone my Cummins. Dry paper does just fine for me! I know it works, and is recommended by Cummins, I am a few miles past warranty, my Cummins only has 251,000 miles on it.
Pretty soon it will be broken in and preforming at the top of it's game.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
smiller

Most stock intake systems flow more than sufficient air for a stock engine so there won't be any difference in performance or mileage (peoples seat-of-the pants guestimations notwithstanding.) If you have significantly modified the intake or exhaust systems then that could change, but for a stock engine there really isn't a lot of rationale behind going to a wet filter that in all probability doesn't filter quite as well as paper media.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #7
fla-gypsy

I have used them and decided it was a waste of time and money IMO.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:39 AM   #8
LittleJoe

I have seen first hand the dust allowed through a K/N filter used in a Cummins diesel. You could wipe the dust out with a rag (in the inlet AFTER the filter) Dodge will not warranty a diesel with a K/N filter in use.

I have seen engines apart that have failed by dusting(failure of air filter). It causes premature wear of piston rings and leaves a glazed cyl wall, with cross hatch almost worn away. (Not sayin these engines were K/N, just that they failed by lack of filtration)
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:29 AM   #9
ls1mike

As proven on the Dyno ,by both my Trans Am and Buick, no extra power is made with the K&N. There are other stories out there which back that up.

Now changing out the intake plumbing and getting rid of silencers and pieces made to slow the air down do show an increase of power on the Dyno.

For the Buick replacing the stock intake plumbing on a Supercharged motor netted a consistent 14 hp gain over stock.

For the LS1 powered Trans Am swapping out the stock silencer equiped air box to an aftermarket unit netted about 16 HP. This is all at the wheels HP.
ls1mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #10
Jim & Kay

I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty that I towed a small camper with -- I replaced the air filter with a K&N filter in 2005. I have cleaned and recharged it at regular intervals and still using it today. I have near 100,000 miles on the engine and the oil is fairly clean at service. Is this because of the K&N filter, I'm not sure. Can I tell a difference in performance, no. Would I buy another K&N filter, no. IMHO, I can't say it's good or bad but I won't be installing one on my Tundra.

HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU
Jim, Kay, & Our Furry Kids
2012 Cougar HC 5er 291RLS aka "Rt 66 B&B"
2008 Toyota Tundra aka "The Hoss" 4X4 Limited DC 5.7 L
6 S Tranny w/TowHaul 4.30 RG 20" tires
Firestone Airbags w/compressor
16K Superglide hitch

Lovers of Route 66
Jim & Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #11
Hansel

I've got a 2000 F-250 Powerstroke that's had AFE filter on for well over 200,000 miles, I did not notice any fuel mileage increase I did however notice I can hear the turbo spooling up or when it's under a hard load like pulling my camper the turbo sound of it pulling in the air is pretty cool sounding. I keep it cleaned regularly so I don't see any problem as long as you maintain it properly.
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote