Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2023, 08:41 AM   #1
Hugo-H

putting jack stands under the chassis

Keystone recommends to put its trailer up on jack stands under the chassis, when TT won't be used for a longer period.
When putting it up, so the TT gets its wheels from the ground, have to raise it approx 8-10 inches?
How to do that in a safe way?... Looking for a detailed explanation on this... without bringing jeapordising myself in any way (TT is around 9000 lbs)
Have ye all a fantastic 2023, and lots of travelling around...
The jacks I use?.. here is a pic of the ones (4) I have...lowest stand they have around 20 inches...can raise an extra 8 inches
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-01-01 at 17.38.53.png
Views:	236
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	42573  
Old 01-01-2023, 09:41 AM   #2
travelin texans

Are talking winter storage or stationary in a park somewhere?
If just winter storage I wouldn't go to the trouble, just park it on some treated wood planks & chock the wheels & call it good til spring.
If setting up stationary I think I'd use planks under the tires & wouldn't worry about getting the tires off the ground if your going to block it in 2-3 places on either side under the frame, you'd just get it higher to step into if the wheels are off the ground. Just my .02 cents!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 12:14 PM   #3
Hugo-H

it's for winter storage.... and yes, I like to follow Keystone's recommendations...it is also an advantage for the suspension as well as it saves the tires during the storage...
Therefore I had this Q putted on this forum...because I know you guys/gals in the US have lots more of ideas and experiences then I have...
Old 01-01-2023, 01:00 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I wouldn’t go to all the trouble of lifting the tires off the ground for winter storage. I see hundreds of RVs in outdoor storage with the wheels on the ground and no jacks extended.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 01:25 PM   #5
NH_Bulldog

I would not put it on jack stands. We have never taken any special efforts, just wood planks under the tires, and we get a lot of snow in the winter.

Depending on your specific model of trailer, the frame may not be designed to be supported on jack stands and you could do more harm than good. As an example, if you have stabilizing scissor jacks at each corner, and not an actual hydraulic or electric leveling system, your frame is not designed to be lifted off the wheels.
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 01:53 PM   #6
dutchmensport

1 pop-up, 3 travel trailers, 1 fifth wheel, 25 years of RV ownership....both my wife and I grew up with parents that were avid campers, travel trailers, motor homes, truck campers, pop-ups..... never, ever in all our lives have we or anyone we know jacked up their RV off the ground for winter storage. .... For good stabilization .... yes. But not for storage.

However, if you DO decide to lift the trailer to get the tires off the ground, DO NOT lift the trailer by the axles. Lift the trailer by the trailer frame, before and after the hangers and along the frame forward and back. If lifting by the frame, make sue the jacks are well stabilized so the trailer will not rock or shift in wind. The last thing you want is the trailer shifting and falling off the jacks.

Lifting by the trailer axles WILL bend them. You do not what that to happen.

But really, you don't need to jack it up at all.
Old 01-01-2023, 07:16 PM   #7
Customer1

Please share the documentation where Keystone says to lift a trailer enough to take the tires off the ground and place it on stands, I don't believe they would ever advise that.
Old 01-01-2023, 10:18 PM   #8
fjr vfr

Never known anyone to do that. I also can't believe Keystone would recommend such a thing unless done by trained professional RV mechanics in a shop environment.
Doing this can be very dangerous for an untrained owner without proper safety equipment. This is definitely not in the owners manual.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 02:23 AM   #9
Hugo-H

when I read the users manual of my model, Keystone clearly states that for longer time storage, NEVER jack it up under its axles, but under the frame... How do I interpret this then?...
Old 01-02-2023, 02:28 AM   #10
Hugo-H

thx... that is what I was thinking too, putting jacks under the frame, halfway in front (1st axle till tongue) and halfway backwards (rear axle till back)... My question is, how to do this... since I cannot think of a way to level up the TT... do I first jack up the rear, or first the front...or first left or rights side of the TT...???
Old 01-02-2023, 02:29 AM   #11
Hugo-H

it is no so much a question of snow... but to get the pressure of the tires and suspension, in order to avoid any deformation of the rubber (tyre)
Old 01-02-2023, 03:44 AM   #12
Hugo-H

frame jack stands

I read it in the Dexter guides, included a screenshot of the forementioned way of storing for longer period.
I also included the complete guide from which I took the screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-01-02 at 12.42.00.png
Views:	271
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	42574  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 600-8k_complete_service_manual.pdf (1.53 MB, 531 views)
Old 01-02-2023, 08:29 AM   #13
travelin texans

That's appears to be one of the many manufacturers CYA warnings.
Drive through any rv storage lot & see how many are stored up on jack stands, if you see 1 rv in 10 storage lots stored that way I'd be very surprised.
If that's a requirement by the rv manufacturers why aren't they stored like that at the dealership where some set for years with only the tongue jack or landing gear as support.
Also the worry of creating flat spots on your tires went away years ago when bias ply tires were replaced with steel belts. Tires nowadays might seem to have flat spots but by the time they heat up you'll never notice it.
But if you feel the need to store this way you'll need a helper both with suitable jacks with blocks so the jacks can reach the frame, one on either side jacking evenly together a little at a time, place the blocks/stands under the frame, move to the opposite end to do the same, then move again raising a little at time on both ends til the tires are off the ground.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 09:20 AM   #14
Max23

Don't know about where you live, but here, I'd never put it up on jack stand. The wind gets wayyyyyy to crazy here. It would just blow off them babies and damage something. Way to dangerous in my opinion without somehow tying it down on blocks or something. We get way to windy for that. Keeping it safely on the ground here.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 10:14 AM   #15
fjr vfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo-H View Post
when I read the users manual of my model, Keystone clearly states that for longer time storage, NEVER jack it up under its axles, but under the frame... How do I interpret this then?...
It states you should never jack under the axles if you store it off the ground. It doesn't say they recommend for you doing it as a rule.

Quote:
thx. My question is, how to do this... since I cannot think of a way to level up the TT... do I first jack up the rear, or first the front...or first left or rights side of the TT...???
Your questions indicate you do not have enough knowledge and expertise to be doing it in the first place. Especially when it is completely unnecessary.
It can be dangerous and not knowing what you are doing means you could do more harm to your trailer and yourself than any benefit.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 10:19 AM   #16
Hugo-H

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
It states you should never jack under the axles if you store it off the ground. It doesn't say they recommend for you doing it as a rule.

Your questions indicate you do not have enough knowledge and expertise to be doing it in the first place. Especially when it is completely unnecessary.
It can be dangerous and not knowing what you are doing means you could do more harm to your trailer and yourself than any benefit.

you're right...if not done properly, it can be very dangerous... is the reason why I'm asking it over here...
Old 01-02-2023, 11:08 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
you're right...if not done properly, it can be very dangerous... is the reason why I'm asking it over here...
In over 50 years of owning travel trailers, fifth wheels and motorhomes, I can state that I have NEVER stored any RV that I've owned "on jack stands" or "with wheels/tires off the ground"... In fact, my current fifth wheel is stored for the winter in our pole barn, on a crushed limestone floor with the trailer weight on the tires, which are situated on 2x8 fir boards that are 6' long. The only reason I store the trailer on the boards is to help keep the tires from settling into the gravel. Otherwise, I'd not even bother with that, since it's inside and there's limited moisture in the pole barn, so no "wet tire problems".

I can also say that I've only known a couple of "anal owners" who have stored their trailers with the tires "jacked up off the ground"... I can also say that they had the same "tire wear/tire replacement concerns" that everyone who stores their trailer "on the ground".... All the other owners, like me, who store their trailer "on the ground" have no more problems with tires than those couple of "do it the hard way" owners who use jack stands. So, is it worth the effort? Probably not.

I have never seen any trailer "on a dealership lot" with tires off the ground, either on jacks or even on boards/cardboard to protect them from either the blacktop, concrete or gravel/dirt they're sitting on.

I'd recommend airing the tires to the maximum sidewall pressure, parking the trailer on rubber pads or wooden planks to prevent contact with the ground, covering the tires with either tire covers or blocking them from UV exposure with either a tarp or some scrap OSB/plywood placed in front of the tires. Otherwise, I'd just keep an eye on them through the winter to make sure they don't go flat (although I've never had that happen to my tires)...

In the days of "polyester/cotton tire construction" tires had a reputation for "permanent flat spots after months of storage"... Today's tires simply don't have those problems.

I can see NO benefit to storing the trailer off the ground, but can see an increased risk of damage to the trailer, and wouldn't consider the time and effort to store it "jacked up" to be worth the investment. YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 08:16 AM   #18
Bamabox

Well, first of all, our 21rbs has scissor stabilizer jacks so the frame is not up to it. Secondly, I don’t even put those down in winter for fear that frost in the ground will raise up and put pressure on the frame. And it’s one less thing for mice to climb up.

2015 Ram 3500 SLT 5.7 Hemi
Bamabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 09:25 PM   #19
Kim T.

I have a Keystone Passport and when I store it for the winter, I do not jack it up. To prevent any possibility of flat spotting tires, I make it much more simple than jacking up a 7500 pound travel trailer. All I do is once a month, I go and I move the trailer so the tires rotate 90 degrees, that way, they only sit for a month on any one side, preventing them from flat spotting. I have only had my trailer for 3 years but have never had a tire problem when doing this and don't risk dropping the trailer by trying to jack up 7500 pounds. Without experience in handling large, heavy objects in the air, it seems a lot less hazardous to my health by just moving it a little bit each month and adjusting the weight on the tires. Then they can't flat spot since they aren't sitting all winter in the same spot.
Kim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 05:40 AM   #20
rhagfo

Well wouldn’t do it for winter storage, but that said I have had my 12,360# 5th wheel supported fully off the ground to install our correct track upgrade.
Yes, jacked under the spring hangers with a floor jack.
I placed “cribbing” made up of stacked 1’ pieces of 2x4. These were placed aft of rear spring hangers. I did place a pair of 6 Tom jack stands under the frame right behind the landing gear.

If the axle can be bent by jacking at the spring perch, the first small bump in the road would bend it!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote