Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2022, 06:25 PM   #1
AZMTGUY

Cougar 29RLI or 290RLS?

Trying to choose between the two. As far as I can tell, main differences seem to be weight, tank capacity. fridge size and w/d prep. Anything I'm missing? Thoughts on which to choose? Tow vehicle will be capable of towing either. Would be used for full-timing during summers and occasional weekends rest of the year. Mix of parks and boondocking.
AZMTGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 07:13 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

As long as there isn’t a question of a big enough tow vehicle, I would say it’s a personal choice. Do you need the room? Can you physically look at both? If so I s would. See if you can comfortably pass each other, watch TV without straining your neck. There will be other considerations but in the end it’s YOUR choice.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 08:41 AM   #3
Camp CA

Welcome to the forum!!

Ditto personal preference. Layouts are very similar with some different kitchen cabinetry but the 290rls is prewired for a washer/dryer and slightly longer, which may be a plus.

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2022-...-29rli-tr53292
https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2022-...290rls-tr53222
Old 01-01-2023, 11:46 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

There are a lot of "hidden differences" that you won't notice until you're in one or the other unit.

First, the Cougar is a full height fifth wheel and the Cougar half ton is a mid height fifth wheel. What's the difference? If you walk into the bedroom of the 290RLS, you'll see that you can "walk" around the entire bed. In the 29RLI, the only "full headroom space" is at the foot of the bed. On either side of the bed, you "step up onto a platform" and there's no "standing upright". In other words, you "stoop to crawl in bed" rather than walk around the bed to get in...

In the 290, you also get the "front window". The jury is still out on whether that is a good or a bad feature. Some people love it, others hate it....

In the galley, there's significantly more storage in the 290. Even with a washer/dryer installed, there's still the pantry. If you're full-timing for part of the year, the 290 has a 16 cuft refrigerator the 29 has a 10 cuft model. Both are 12 VDC power. Additionally, the 290 has a 1.6 cuft microwave (house style) and the 29 has a 0.9 cuft "camper type" low power microwave.

For me, the biggest difference is the chassis. The 29 RLI is built on a "half ton chassis with 4400 pound axles, 15" wheels while the 290 RLS is built on a "heavier chassis with 6000 pound axles and 16" wheels.

You mentioned "a mix of parks and boondocking". Take note of the increased tank capacity in the 290. That extra 21 gallons of fresh water, 16 gallons of gray and 8 gallons of black tank capacity is good for at least an additional 2 days of boondocking before the tanks are full.

Overall, the 290 is a "much bigger, heavier trailer with features not found in the half ton models. Just being able to put a plate in the microwave and have it reheat without burning the edges (like in the dorm type smaller unit) and being able to stand up and walk around the bed.

There are other differences in construction, insulation, "livability features" that you probably won't notice until after you have lived in your choice for a few months. So, if you can, spend some time "inside both units" taking notes, noticing all the "little things that you'd normally overlook"... Sit on the side of the bed and then stand up, sit in the living room while DW is cooking a meal, get up to get a drink while she's at the sink, etc. You'll find a lot of "advantages in one model over the other" but only if you do your "due diligence".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 11:58 AM   #5
Roper46

Welcome from south Georgia.

I have owned my 290RLS for about a year and half. I really like the floor plan and have had zero problems with it. That being said, as RV owners we are always looking at different models. At least I do just out of curiousity.

The 316RLS, in my opinion, offers some very nice upgrades. For example, the front master bedroom has the bed on a slide. Now it doesnt matter to me ref the king option, but I do really like the extra room, the dresser at the foot of the bed and especially the full wardrobe across the front. Also, the bathroom has been redesigned and appears to be much larger and more convenient. There doesnt appear to be much difference in the layout of the main living area.

At the moment I am not interested in upgrading. But, I may be towards the end of this year. This would also depend on a lot of economic things such as supply and interest rates by then.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 12:26 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

My first question would be; have you been inside these units? If not, be aware that the 1/2 ton line is built "light" meaning there are a lot of differences in the build of the units. The interior of the 290 will be considerably nicer than the 29. An example; the 290RLS has solid surface countertops in the kitchen, the 29RLI has "seamless, pressed" countertops. Those kinds of differences are throughout the trailers. If you are going to full time during the summers I would urge you to consider those differences because building "light" generally means they're not built as strong....and you want heavier duty (hinges, wood etc.) if you are going to be in it a lot.

John has pointed out other differences and I will say if you've never compared full profile to mid profile 5th wheels you need to. There is a significant difference between them that is very noticeable. Another poster mentioned the differences between a 316rls and the 290RLS (I had intended to buy a 315RLS, sister to the 316) and one thing that we like, others don't, is the bed in the slide and a full wardrobe across the front. Just some thoughts to ponder.....and you said the tow vehicle was not an issue....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 11:35 PM   #7
Fish-a-Palooza

We looked at the same 2 5th wheels as you, but I was pretty set on getting something with washer/dryer prep. The 290RLS was the 1st one we saw that had it. The layout and extra space also made a big difference so that's where we landed. To do it again I would have gotten the 316RLS but it clearly exceeded my F250's cargo capacity of 2700 lbs. In the end I wasn't comfortable being so close even with the 290RLS and ended getting an F350.

2022 Montana 3231CK, 12770 lb GVWR, 3910 lb Cargo
2020 F350 FX4, Crew, 8 ft, SRW, 6.7L, 10 Spd TX, 4177 lb P/L, 22K 5er towing, Anderson Ultimate Hitch.
Fish-a-Palooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 08:57 AM   #8
travelin texans

You haven't yet stated your truck other than it's not an issue. But if you are planning to fulltime, if only 6+/- months, the more room for people & stuff is what you want, so the truck definitely could be an issue.
Here's a few things we learned fulltiming that might help with your decision.
Have plenty of truck for whatever rv the DW decides she wants, that's the 1st thing to consider, what DW wants!
I would recommend NO bedroom w/ any type of step or you can't stand up anywhere in the bedroom you chose, preferably with the wardrobe across the front or least the room to hang more than a couple hangers.
A stackable w/d is preferred over the combo, we've had both.
All comfortable seating in the living room area should face the TV which should be mounted about eye level. Some have the TVs way up high or at 90 degrees to the seating, or both.
A table with chairs rather than a booth, 4 adults packed in a booth is a bit tight. Unless you're feeling frisky!!
Minimal to no carpet, especially with pets.
DW preferred the convection microwave over the rv oven w/ storage in its place, but did require a bit of a learning curve to master.
Dual pane windows & minimal 2 A/Cs in any of the 5ers mentioned. Having at least one of the A/C units with heat pump works good if not in Artic weather.
Just a few I can think of right off, hope it helps!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 10:48 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

He logged off the site 9 minutes after posting. Perhaps he is reading without logging in but perhaps you may not hear back from him regarding his tow vehicle.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 08:54 AM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
He logged off the site 9 minutes after posting. Perhaps he is reading without logging in but perhaps you may not hear back from him regarding his tow vehicle.
Maybe like some others that post on here that he doesn't have any concerns with the truck & doesn't want to hear that there IS serious concern with it towing what he's looking at.
"That truck is rated to tow XXXXXlbs & the dry weight of that rv is only XXXXlbs, dealer said I'm good to go!", famous last words.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 09:31 AM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Maybe like some others that post on here that he doesn't have any concerns with the truck & doesn't want to hear that there IS serious concern with it towing what he's looking at.
"That truck is rated to tow XXXXXlbs & the dry weight of that rv is only XXXXlbs, dealer said I'm good to go!", famous last words.
Never really sure why folks try to help a poster who logs off and doesn't return after asking a question. I have been guilty of replying to the disappearing poster myself when I did not take the time to see that they were gone.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 01:57 AM   #12
Fish-a-Palooza

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Never really sure why folks try to help a poster who logs off and doesn't return after asking a question. I have been guilty of replying to the disappearing poster myself when I did not take the time to see that they were gone.
What am I missing here??? He asked the question on the 1st of January. You posted one day later to say he logged off 8 minutes after posting and hasn't logged back in. It was only 2 days since he posted and 3 days total right now???

2022 Montana 3231CK, 12770 lb GVWR, 3910 lb Cargo
2020 F350 FX4, Crew, 8 ft, SRW, 6.7L, 10 Spd TX, 4177 lb P/L, 22K 5er towing, Anderson Ultimate Hitch.
Fish-a-Palooza is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar