Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2022, 06:19 PM   #1
GallopingGrandpa

Adding Battery Capacity

I’m a new member and have really enjoyed reading a few threads. I am going to make several upgrades to my rig and pretty sure I am going to need some advice.
I purchased a 2023 Hideout 22MLS. Has all the usual stuff the new ones come with. It came with one 100ah 12v Lithium battery. I would like to add a lead acid battery to it to increase capacity. I can’t find any information on the best way to wire it into the system. Can anybody help me possibly with a wiring diagram?
GallopingGrandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 06:31 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I would not mix battery types as they have different charging profiles. I would add an additional lithium battery.

If you’re using 12V battery’s hook the positives together and the negatives together (Parallel) and then attach the trailer leads to opposite batteries.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 06:45 PM   #3
GallopingGrandpa

Thanks chuckster57...There is a number of opinions around this issue of mixing "types" of batteries and different charging profiles are top of the list. I think it is all in how you wire them in parallel. What I am looking for is which battery should the neg come from and the pos come from.
Old 12-28-2022, 07:14 PM   #4
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallopingGrandpa View Post
Thanks chuckster57...There is a number of opinions around this issue of mixing "types" of batteries and different charging profiles are top of the list. I think it is all in how you wire them in parallel. What I am looking for is which battery should the neg come from and the pos come from.
GG, if you mix battery types you'll likely burn up one or the other battery. That will cost you more money in the long run to buy another "second battery".

But to answer your question, you need to connect the trailer positive wire (probably red) to the positive of either of the two batteries. Whichever battery you choose, do NOT connect the trailer ground to that battery. Connect the trailer ground to the "other" battery. So, the trailer has two cables, one goes to each battery (assuming 12v batteries in parallel).
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 07:29 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallopingGrandpa View Post

Don't know where the differing opinions come from for mixing a LA battery with a lithium as your DC power source. If you want your battery system to function properly, charge properly and last as long as possible you won't mix lithium with lead acid. Just buy two identical batteries and get on down the road...best option, longest lasting, least problems. Think about it; you can put a 35" diameter tire on one side of your vehicle and another that is a 29" diameter...it will work....for a short while, and all the time tearing up all kinds of other equipment. Go at it the right way IMO.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 07:51 PM   #6
GallopingGrandpa

Guys .... Thanks for the help. I am putting a link to a YouTube vid for you to watch and give me your opinion.

Old 12-28-2022, 07:59 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Looks like he doesn’t do 50/50 and he’s using LiPo4.

If you’re only using 2 batteries, I would still use the same types.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 08:53 PM   #8
travelin texans

The other "not recommended" is mix new with old batteries which you've said you have a lithium installed already & wanting add another "new" battery of a totally different type, none of which sounds like a good plan.
Either buy another lithium, which will be mixing new with old, or buy 2 new true deep cycle FLA batteries, which is probably a lot cheaper than another lithium.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 03:05 AM   #9
CWtheMan

https://www.keystonerv.com/owners-ho...ctrical-system
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 08:49 PM   #10
GallopingGrandpa

Been New Years busy!!! Thanks to all of you for the advice. I think I will stay with keeping my battery's separate. Seems like the safest way to go.

Tags
battery