Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2022, 03:00 PM   #1
toolittletime

Dirt dobber nest in furnace intake

I noticed some dirt dobber activity last month before we left on a trip, around the furnace intake. I took the outside cover off and reached in and remove one of their dirt nest.
fast forward today....ran the heater ....started and put out heat just fine but looked like a bit of blue looking smoke came out the exhaust. Second time it started up it backfired, but started and put out heat.
I think the backfire may be related to me quickly opening and closing the tank valve too quick, but how about the blue looking smoke?
I current have the heater out, and have ran a piece of coax (all I got) inside the heating tubes....got a little more dirt out.....probably 1/4 cup total.
My question is......is there a way to clean out the heating tube completely without completely disassembling the heater unit???
Its a dometic dfmd35121 model
Thoughts suggestions????
Thanks........Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220927_172905.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	41789  
toolittletime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 03:34 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolittletime View Post
I noticed some dirt dobber activity last month before we left on a trip, around the furnace intake. I took the outside cover off and reached in and remove one of their dirt nest.
fast forward today....ran the heater ....started and put out heat just fine but looked like a bit of blue looking smoke came out the exhaust. Second time it started up it backfired, but started and put out heat.
I think the backfire may be related to me quickly opening and closing the tank valve too quick, but how about the blue looking smoke?
I current have the heater out, and have ran a piece of coax (all I got) inside the heating tubes....got a little more dirt out.....probably 1/4 cup total.
My question is......is there a way to clean out the heating tube completely without completely disassembling the heater unit???
Its a dometic dfmd35121 model
Thoughts suggestions????
Thanks........Tim
Can't help with your specific question but you may want to check the drain tube on your refrigerator. Dirt daubers love those things as well.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 05:04 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

If mud dawbers have set up house on the burner/igniter, I don’t know of any other way of cleaning without disassembly. Compressed air might work but I wouldn’t count on it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 07:38 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If mud dawbers have set up house on the burner/igniter, I don’t know of any other way of cleaning without disassembly. Compressed air might work but I wouldn’t count on it.
I clean old/vintage motorcycle carburetors every day and mud dauber brown stuff is almost like cement. Compressed air likely won't get it done. The infestation I deal with isn't as deep in and I use a dental pick and dremel w/wire brush generally. Just squirting with carb cleaner doesn't dent the brown stuff.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 06:32 AM   #5
toolittletime

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I clean old/vintage motorcycle carburetors every day and mud dauber brown stuff is almost like cement. Compressed air likely won't get it done. The infestation I deal with isn't as deep in and I use a dental pick and dremel w/wire brush generally. Just squirting with carb cleaner doesn't dent the brown stuff.

I guess I'll dismantle it today and see whats inside......wiredgeorge...just rebuilt the carbs on a bmw airhead....my latest project.
Old 09-28-2022, 03:02 PM   #6
toolittletime

Welll...It was'nt as bad as I thought. There are 3 screws that hold the burner in place. You have to unscrew the flared line that goes to the valve first...the burner comes out enough to clean it off with a toothbrush. Did not see any evidence of dobbers near the igniter or burner.
Put it back together...checked for leaks and fired her up.
Seems to be burning clean....hopefully I got all of the dd nest out of the heat ex changer tube. Only problem now.....when it fires up seems like a delay ..after the gas is released into the tube seems like the igniter is delaying spark. No backfires.....but did shoot a small blue flame out the exhaust the first time she lit. Ran it three more times with a rest between and it started and heated fine. 4th time.....small blue flame again out the exhaust.
maybe needs a new igniter when I get home??? That sound right to the more qualified folks here?? Is there a certain gap between the probes on the igniter that I should have set??

Thanks.........Tim
Old 09-28-2022, 04:41 PM   #7
Roper46

You might try these screens over the vents. I have used them on my 5er for two summers here in south Georgia with no issues or insects.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220928_111829.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	41806  
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 05:05 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper46 View Post
You might try these screens over the vents. I have used them on my 5er for two summers here in south Georgia with no issues or insects.

I would just warn that those screens can cause problems. I did the same thing and placed them on my last trailer. Water heater didn't give me an issue but the first time I tried to use the furnace it would light, start running then quit. Turned out to be the screen causing it to heat up too much and the hi limit switch cut it off. Removed screen, never another issue. I believe the manual will tell you that those exhausts aren't supposed to be blocked in any way. I never thought that screen would do it but it must cause just enough interference/turbulence in air flow to shut it down (at least mine).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 06:12 PM   #9
Roper46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I would just warn that those screens can cause problems. I did the same thing and placed them on my last trailer. Water heater didn't give me an issue but the first time I tried to use the furnace it would light, start running then quit. Turned out to be the screen causing it to heat up too much and the hi limit switch cut it off. Removed screen, never another issue. I believe the manual will tell you that those exhausts aren't supposed to be blocked in any way. I never thought that screen would do it but it must cause just enough interference/turbulence in air flow to shut it down (at least mine).
Thanks for the heads up Danny.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 06:47 AM   #10
toolittletime

Only problem now.....when it fires up seems like a delay ..after the gas is released into the tube seems like the igniter is delaying spark. No backfires.....but did shoot a small blue flame out the exhaust the first time she lit. Ran it three more times with a rest between and it started and heated fine. 4th time.....small blue flame again out the exhaust.
maybe needs a new igniter when I get home??? That sound right to the more qualified folks here?? Is there a certain gap between the probes on the igniter that I should have set??

Re posting the above looking for suggestions??
Like the idea of the screens when not using the equipment, maybe just remove them when camping?
The saga continues.....this morning heater lit beautifully...no shooting flame...no backfire...but after 15 minutes or so the propane floor alarm went off. Turned everything off and reset the alarm.
Any ideas for troubleshooting from this point????

Thinking of just waiting a week until I am home to take the heater out (again) and ream out the heat ex changer tube....maybe use a small plumbing snake...check and adjust the ignition module (maybe replace)..and blow out the burner and propane orifice with compressed air???
Is there something I am missing????

Tim
Old 10-01-2022, 07:16 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

In posts #5 and 6, you said that you dismanteled the furnace, cleaned it and put it back together. Now the LPG alarm goes off ??? I'd strongly suspect that there's a gas leak somewhere in your work. It could be as simple as a loose gas fitting or it could be more complex, like a gasket on the gas manifold...

BUT: Before you go ripping the furnace out again, I'd check all the other "nearby gas sources" like maybe the oven pilot light blew out, a stovetop burner leaking, etc.

AND: Sometimes the LPG will give a "false gas alarm" triggered by a "farting dog" or some cleaning agents, like Windex, etc. So it may not be a "problem" but rather a "supposed to have done that"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 07:47 AM   #12
jasin1

delayed ignition is nothing to mess around with…the igniter is probably at fixed height from the burner tube…like john said a gas leak or low gas pressure could cause delayed ignition…clogged or rusted burner tube holes could cause it…BUT it is not something to experiment with as a delayed ignition in any gas appliance can cause a violent explosion…i once had my hair singed when a very old gravity furnace delayed and a fireball shot out of the combustion chamber …i heard the gas come on and no ignition and barely was able to say “oh shhhh” before the fireball….

(Customer upstairs) … “is everything ok??”……..(me downstairs)…. “yEss…eVerYthinG IS fInE…(shaking and smoking ) …iM a pROfEsSIonAl!..

take the furnace to your rv dealer and drop it off for them to fix is my suggestion
Old 10-01-2022, 08:15 AM   #13
travelin texans

Quote:
Only problem now.....when it fires up seems like a delay ..after the gas is released into the tube seems like the igniter is delaying spark. No backfires.....but did shoot a small blue flame out the exhaust the first time she lit. Ran it three more times with a rest between and it started and heated fine. 4th time.....small blue flame again out the exhaust.

Re posting the above looking for suggestions??
Like the idea of the screens when not using the equipment, maybe just remove them when camping?
The saga continues.....this morning heater lit beautifully...no shooting flame...no backfire...but after 15 minutes or so the propane floor alarm went off. Turned everything off and reset the alarm.
Any ideas for troubleshooting from this point????

Thinking of just waiting a week until I am home to take the heater out (again) and ream out the heat ex changer tube....maybe use a small plumbing snake...check and adjust the ignition module (maybe replace)..and blow out the burner and propane orifice with compressed air???
Is there something I am missing????

Tim
During your furnace troubleshooting running the furnace quite a bit if the rv isn't plugged into shore power &/or you have a weak battery the LP/CO detector will chirp indicating low voltage.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 12:00 PM   #14
toolittletime

Thanks for all the comments...

Ok let me address the suggestions one at a time:
Have been plugged into shore power all along....batteries are charged.
No leaks at stove or other locations.....no farting dogs or humans.
I did clean the windows yesterday with windex.
Not sure what "gasket on gas manifold" is? Nothing on the schematic?

No clogged or rusted burners...I eyeballed it when I had it apart.
Before I would take it to the local idiots at any nearby rv dealer and pay them the 180.00 an hour, I would just buy a new furnace.
Any other suggestions???
Tim
Old 10-01-2022, 12:04 PM   #15
toolittletime

Should have said:
Before paying them 180 per hour to do "guess and check" I can buy a lot of parts
Old 10-01-2022, 12:15 PM   #16
jasin1

when you started the furnace was it on your workbench or in the rv? and did it have the exhaust cap installed?…if not it could have been pulling too much combustion air in and lifting the gas off the burner before it hit the igniter

wasn’t sure if it was still under warranty

and for the record i never advocate working on gas appliances or line voltage electric unless your either licensed or experienced or both
Old 10-01-2022, 12:25 PM   #17
toolittletime

Just found a good video on adjusting the igniter, and burner.
https://youtu.be/AB69oqtSiwc

Not my exact model, but good information.
Old 10-01-2022, 12:39 PM   #18
toolittletime

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
when you started the furnace was it on your workbench or in the rv? and did it have the exhaust cap installed?…if not it could have been pulling too much combustion air in and lifting the gas off the burner before it hit the igniter

wasn’t sure if it was still under warranty

and for the record i never advocate working on gas appliances or line voltage electric unless your either licensed or experienced or both

Was in the rv...we are on a trip.
It was completely reassembled....yes exhaust cap was on.

It is a pain to get to, as I have to remove it through a hole I cut in the pantry. Other access is through the under belly storage, and have to remove all of the carpeted vertical walls more of a pita.
Cut the access hole 2 years ago to be able to replace the furnace control board after having 2 techs tell me 5 or 6 different things it could be...and of course paying them a trip charge. New control board fixed it (suggested here on this forum) and has been working great for 2 years, until I noticed the dd's trying to build a nest in the exhaust tube.

I think I knew more about rv's than either one of these dudes.
2018 unit....not under warranty.
Old 10-01-2022, 12:47 PM   #19
jasin1

Quote:
Was in the rv...we are on a trip.
It was completely reassembled....yes exhaust cap was on.

It is a pain to get to, as I have to remove it through a hole I cut in the pantry. Other access is through the under belly storage, and have to remove all of the carpeted vertical walls more of a pita.
Cut the access hole 2 years ago to be able to replace the furnace control board after having 2 techs tell me 5 or 6 different things it could be...and of course paying them a trip charge. New control board fixed it (suggested here on this forum) and has been working great for 2 years, until I noticed the dd's trying to build a nest in the exhaust tube.

I think I knew more about rv's than either one of these dudes.
2018 unit....not under warranty.

well good luck…sounds like you are narrowing it down
Old 10-14-2022, 02:26 PM   #20
toolittletime

Update:
After I got home , I removed the heater and got it on the workbench. I removed the burner and igniter and cleaned thoroughly. I ran a small plumbing snake up into the heating tubes as far as it would go from one end, then the other. I blew it out with my my leaf blower and a lot of crap came out....small pieces of dd nest and a lot of soot.....don't stand in front of it while blowing. I also blew it out from the other direction and swapped up several times until nothing came out.
I re installed the burner and adjusted the gap on the igniter. I sealed around the cover plate, as it has a gasket and also had been sealed with sealant.
Re installed into unit....checked for propane leaks and fired her up.

No bang, no odd smell, no nothing except good clean heat. I ran it through the heat cycle several times after letting it cool.
Calling it good!!!
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Tim

Tags
furnace