Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2022, 02:42 PM   #21
bsmith0404

I think I need to check with codes. My neighbors won’t complain, but maybe some of the stupid rules the city comes up with may actually help me. I have a good friend in codes, I sold him his RV. I think it’s time for a phone call.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 03:54 PM   #22
bsmith0404

Spoke to my friend in codes, he sent me one code that showed I was in compliance since everything is behind the house. Then sent me another one where I could be considered an rv storage facility because of the number of RVs and the fact that I don’t own them all. I’m not zoned for commercial rv storage. Wording is a little tricky and there is a loophole, but I’m gonna use it.
Old 07-23-2022, 04:13 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Spoke to my friend in codes, he sent me one code that showed I was in compliance since everything is behind the house. Then sent me another one where I could be considered an rv storage facility because of the number of RVs and the fact that I don’t own them all. I’m not zoned for commercial rv storage. Wording is a little tricky and there is a loophole, but I’m gonna use it.

Yep, I would use it. If you are storing other's RVs and getting paid, in whatever manner, they can then say you are running an ad hoc storage facility which will run afoul of your zoning. Depending on who interprets it, their reason and goal you can get in a pinch. Send them on their way....and you can plant a garden!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 04:30 PM   #24
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Yep, I would use it. If you are storing other's RVs and getting paid, in whatever manner, they can then say you are running an ad hoc storage facility which will run afoul of your zoning. Depending on who interprets it, their reason and goal you can get in a pinch. Send them on their way....and you can plant a garden!!
Or build another workshop!
Old 07-28-2022, 08:20 AM   #25
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
i don’t let anyone store things on our property..had a friends mother 10-15 years ago that stored an old Jaguar on our back property for a “couple of months”….turned into a couple of years..had to tell her it was going to the scrapyard…

if i were you i’d be afraid of someone moving into those fifth wheels and refusing to leave…
you’ll have a whole new set of problems
^ THAT ^ Right there...
Cut your vacation short and go home. You're going to have squatters, soon. In fact, you already do.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 10:55 AM   #26
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDPatterson View Post
^ THAT ^ Right there...
Cut your vacation short and go home. You're going to have squatters, soon. In fact, you already do.
One good thing about the 5th wheels, the slides are all closed and I have the batteries pulled. Almost impossible to get to anything inside, in fact, it has off door side stairs so you can’t even get to the bathroom/bedroom. With opposing slides at the back, can’t even get to the couch, we’ll you could, but not easy.

Everything is going to disappear when I get home in two days. Either on their terms or mine.
Old 07-28-2022, 01:22 PM   #27
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
One good thing about the 5th wheels, the slides are all closed and I have the batteries pulled. Almost impossible to get to anything inside, in fact, it has off door side stairs so you can’t even get to the bathroom/bedroom. With opposing slides at the back, can’t even get to the couch, we’ll you could, but not easy.

Everything is going to disappear when I get home in two days. Either on their terms or mine.
I know it's not easy, and thank you for sharing about this. Wishing you well, right now. Might want to think about whether you need the sheriff's department to back you when you get home.
Old 07-28-2022, 03:06 PM   #28
dutchmensport

Sheesh! I've attempted to respond on this thread a dozen times now, started to add my 2 cents, and then discarded the post. I'm completely overwhelmed at your situation. My situation was different, but still just as overwhelming when good intentions was pooped on a mile deep!

You have just cause (zoning) to insist they move the camper off your property. Notify them and give them a time frame. And in the future, don't be such a nice guy. Yes, a situation like this, having your good intentions pooped on, changes your entire perspective on human nature. It means being a bad azz and no more Mr. Nice Guy. I have learned since my bad experience, that folks will take advantage of you, and if you say no.... they really do not care. You are not their friend, you are there to serve their cause. Its really no sweat off their backs if you say "no." They'll just move on to someone else. You are loosing nothing, especially any idea they might have been a friend. Friends don't screw over friends.

Also, your wife needs to get tough too! She needs to say "no" too! And tell people to go to He**.

If these people can't afford to put their campers in proper storage, they don't need them in the first place. Let them park in their own yard!
Old 07-28-2022, 04:25 PM   #29
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Sheesh! I've attempted to respond on this thread a dozen times now, started to add my 2 cents, and then discarded the post. I'm completely overwhelmed at your situation. My situation was different, but still just as overwhelming when good intentions was pooped on a mile deep!

You have just cause (zoning) to insist they move the camper off your property. Notify them and give them a time frame. And in the future, don't be such a nice guy. Yes, a situation like this, having your good intentions pooped on, changes your entire perspective on human nature. It means being a bad azz and no more Mr. Nice Guy. I have learned since my bad experience, that folks will take advantage of you, and if you say no.... they really do not care. You are not their friend, you are there to serve their cause. Its really no sweat off their backs if you say "no." They'll just move on to someone else. You are loosing nothing, especially any idea they might have been a friend. Friends don't screw over friends.

Also, your wife needs to get tough too! She needs to say "no" too! And tell people to go to He**.

If these people can't afford to put their campers in proper storage, they don't need them in the first place. Let them park in their own yard!
"Business is business, and friends is friends, and the twain do not meet." Goes for relatives, as well.
Old 07-28-2022, 06:26 PM   #30
German Shepherd Guy

Bob, sorry this is happening to you. Keep perspective, stay cool, no need for stories which will just come back to haunt you. Just smile and say, "I can no longer keep your RVs/toys at my house. You need to move them in the next two weeks. If you are unable to I will haul them off and unload at your house in two weeks. You are very welcome for the time you stored them on my property. No hard feelings. It is a free country and you can store them anywhere you want but here. Now they have got to go." Do not give an explanation. It is no ones business but yours anyway. Smile the whole time. Remember life is short, real friends will love you no matter what. Hell we don't even really know you here on the list and WE like you.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 08:21 PM   #31
bsmith0404

The one that really pisses me off is the uncle. We have done a lot of stuff together including camping and I’ve helped them out many times with their RV and tow vehicle. I simply asked him to take care of the weeds in our back yard around my little pines since I couldn’t spray that area. I’ve attached a pic from my security camera, hard to see, but all the green in the back are weeds
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30888260-BE0B-40AD-9605-58600EC3573B.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	40869  
Old 07-28-2022, 08:24 PM   #32
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
Remember life is short, real friends will love you no matter what. Hell we don't even really know you here on the list and WE like you.
Yeah, that’s because you don’t know me. Lol. Obviously I’m the type of guy that will bend over backwards to help someone…..until I’m taken advantage of, then you’re all out of favors.

Tags
vent