Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2022, 11:37 AM   #1
Mounties88

Holding tanks not reading

Hey guys just wanted to reach out and see if anyone else has had any past experience with the holding tank levels not reading. I noticed on our first trip out the fresh water tank was still reading completely empty after I filled with around 60 gallons of water. I had some issues with my iN·command display monitor so I just chalked it up to that. That has been fixed but still no tank readings. We have been camping since Friday and all holding tanks still read empty and I know the gray and black should read something. Any help would be great appreciated.
Mounties88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 11:43 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Most likely a bad ground.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 11:47 AM   #3
Mounties88

I was wondering if that might be the cause. I was able to get the in command monitor working after tightening the electrical connections on the back and I also found a 15amp fuse blown and replaced that. Any recommendations on steps to take to find out? I’m not great electrically but can figure out the basics.
Old 05-29-2022, 12:19 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

There should be a common ground from all the tank sensor packs and the frame. You’ll need to access the underbelly. All the tank sensor grounds are usually tied together and grounded to the frame somewhere. If you can get to any tank, look at the bottom sensor (white wire) and jumper it to a known ground.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 01:26 PM   #5
grey ghost

Something you might want to try before all that electrical work. Just a thought.
I had a similar problem and a wise old traveler told me to put a two gallon bucket of water mixed with two parts water softener and one part dawn dish soap mixed well into my holding tank (black water holding tank) add one bag of ice and drive around for a block or two. This little trick worked for me, might not be your problem however a cheap remedy if it works.
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 03:16 PM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey ghost View Post
Something you might want to try before all that electrical work. Just a thought.
I had a similar problem and a wise old traveler told me to put a two gallon bucket of water mixed with two parts water softener and one part dawn dish soap mixed well into my holding tank (black water holding tank) add one bag of ice and drive around for a block or two. This little trick worked for me, might not be your problem however a cheap remedy if it works.
If I'm reading correctly I believe the sensors are not powered up, not that they're not accurate..........which they won't be anyway once they are powered!
As for the wise old guys method, the Dawn & water softener, that's called the Geo method, are good anytime to help slicken up the tank so the solids drain better, there's much of anything to help the sensors accuracy! Unless you're hooked up, truck in gear, ready to roll the instant you flush ice that 5 or 10lbs of ice in a 40+ gallon tank will be melted before you reach the end of the street, the extra water the melted ice provides is beneficial.
Imagine shaking 2 ice cubes in a gallon jug of water! Save the ice for a cold beverage!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 03:59 PM   #7
Mounties88

Thanks for the replies guys. I used to do the ice and water softener trick with my old TT prior to the end of the season on the last trip home and then dumped at my home and was always surprised of how much extra came out. I agree it’s a non power issue. My current 5er is brand new and regardless of what the dealership told me I don’t believe they ever worked. I’ve never really relied on the sensors anyways so this will probably become an off-season project.

Tags
tank