Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2022, 02:48 PM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

"Freindly, furry, majestic Lions" can be found in zoos all over the world. Every once in a while some idiot will jump the fence, jump the moat, then try to pet the "big pretty kitty". If they are lucky they will have a stump to remind them of their poor decision. If someone told me the "gator was freindly" I'd tell them to go pet it, I'll be standing way over there.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 06:15 PM   #22
slow

We have two Advance Elements Airvolution single seat kayaks and find them extremely stable but relatively fast for an inflatable. They are a drop stitch design that inflate to a higher pressure than most.

https://www.advancedelements.com/sho...-kayak-ae3029/
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 06:44 PM   #23
Balvar24

I may try a Sea Eagle 370. Maybe upgrade down the road.
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 07:02 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
Not looking to use this in gator infested waters.

Didn't see you post that previously....but an interesting sidebar.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 09:04 PM   #25
jim1

I think I might just use mine in the back yard in a big blow up pool! Gators,snakes, grizzly's, sharks! What's next? Well sweet dreams!��
Retired-Lovin' 7 Saturdays a week!!
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 09:13 PM   #26
jim1

Not to change the subject but up here during bear hunting season the smart thing to do is always take a partner that you can out run!
Retired-Lovin' 7 Saturdays a week!!
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 06:38 AM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
Not to change the subject but up here during bear hunting season the smart thing to do is always take a partner that you can out run!
And, I'd suppose, in kayaking, always take a partner that you can "out paddle"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 08:34 PM   #28
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I will say I love the water and feel most comfortable there…any depth ..middle of the ocean ….doesn’t matter..BUT I don’t know if I’d take a inflatable kayak around the little streams and rivers in Florida or Georgia…I’d imagine a alligator could make small work of the kayak..then what? You be packaged up like a giant seafood wrap…I prefer fiberglass for predators
Tell me about it! I asked him about that - both alligators and sharks (because, well, more sharp teeth!) - and proceeded to tell him I was making all the life insurance payments on time no matter what. I do have to say that kayaking on the Wakulla River with all the alligators did have me very apprehensive at first, even in a “hard sided” plastic kayak, but those alligators were more of a ‘leave me alone and I will leave you alone’ type - at least at that time. LOL. One of the people who lived along there was telling us about how they would go swimming in the river regularly, and of course there was the swimming beach up in the state park too. I did not set foot in there…but many love swimming there.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 08:53 PM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
Tell me about it! I asked him about that - both alligators and sharks (because, well, more sharp teeth!) - and proceeded to tell him I was making all the life insurance payments on time no matter what. I do have to say that kayaking on the Wakulla River with all the alligators did have me very apprehensive at first, even in a “hard sided” plastic kayak, but those alligators were more of a ‘leave me alone and I will leave you alone’ type - at least at that time. LOL. One of the people who lived along there was telling us about how they would go swimming in the river regularly, and of course there was the swimming beach up in the state park too. I did not set foot in there…but many love swimming there.

We are at the Wakulla river regularly. If you're ever back this way and haven't taken the St. Marks river, do so. To us it is much nicer than the Wakulla. We are used to the gators and they are, as you said, very much "leave me alone and I leave you alone". We've never had one bother us even at just several feet but we did see a yahoo throwing his dog toy in the water for Fido to fetch that didn't get Fido back. Swimming in the Wakulla, St. Marks or the state park? I'm a desert rat...I'll leave those waters to them. I've watched them in the Everglades and they actually can get after "it" when they want to - I just don't want to be "it".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 04:26 AM   #30
flybouy
Site Team

I'm with Danny, I don't want to be the "it". I'm too old and too fat to outrun most folks so no, I don't desire to become the "whats for dinner". I've heard comments about leave them alone and they'll return the courtesy, nope, not my way of thinking. I don’t look to interact with carniverous or otherwise agressive animals that have a distinct advantage over humans..
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 02:43 PM   #31
Balvar24

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I'm with Danny, I don't want to be the "it". I'm too old and too fat to outrun most folks so no, I don't desire to become the "whats for dinner". I've heard comments about leave them alone and they'll return the courtesy, nope, not my way of thinking. I don’t look to interact with carniverous or otherwise agressive animals that have a distinct advantage over humans..
I'm with you. Walmart isn't what it used to be.
Old 02-24-2022, 08:08 AM   #32
jetalkington

Having sold kayaks for nearly 20 years in my Paddle Sport shop I would recommend the Advanced Elements. They are rugged and hold up well. They have a foam core insert that give you a stable bottom for setting things on.

I biggest "complaint" that we had is they did get firm enough. So, I called Advanced Elements and they told us to start selling the pressure gauge to buyers. I brought one in and set up a kayak with the gauge and it was a world of difference. We thought we were filling them up but with the gauge we took them to a higher pressure and they became rock solid.

So, get your pump and make sure whatever you buy, gauge it to MFG recommended pressure. I think you will enjoy it more.
7.3 Eco Boost
jetalkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 08:33 AM   #33
HDutton

I carried a 12' portabote (fold up plastic hull) under the 5th wheel and a 6hp outboard in the truck. Easily carried 2 people fishing inshore salt and freshwater in Texas and Florida. Let me sit upright while fishing and motor wherever I desired.
HDutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 10:26 AM   #34
Beernutzbob

I bought my wife a Hobie inflatable kayak about 6 years ago which has held up well. We've taken it on a few vacations and it works great with the most comfortable kayak seat I've ever tried. However it was north of $2k when we bought it so likely it has an eyeopening price now.

When we bought ours I think it was the only inflatable Hobie offered but now I think they have more models including side-by-side and front/back tandem kayaks which look cool on video but I've never used one.

The inflatable uses the Hobie pedal system found on their hard side kayaks with a hand controlled rudder but you can also paddle it though it isn't very fast that way.

It also converts to a paddle board by removing the seat and plugging the hole where the pedal system goes with a supplied replacement.
Beernutzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 10:40 AM   #35
Ellen

My husband has two Advanced Elements inflatables, a one-person and a two-person. He got them at REI several years ago. My brother-in-law has them as well. The orange and gray ones. So far, so good. We also have two ancient hard shell fiberglass Ocean Kayaks, originals from the 70’s. I much prefer paddling those to the inflatables but they are very heavy to transport, especially now that we are approaching ancient ourselves.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:34 AM   #36
Shedboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
I'd like to try one out, and keep one with the camper gear, but not sure what brand would be decent.

Like anything else, you can spend $100 or $2000. I figure it will spend most of the time rolled up in the truck, so I don't want to break the bank. I'm not planning to shoot the rapids. Mostly fishing.

Looking at the Intek Excursion Pro (on the cheaper end of the spectrum). I'm 6'6", so I need a big boat.

https://www.amazon.com/Intex-68309EP...ps%2C83&sr=8-3

Anyone keep an inflatable with them when camping?
For civilized fishing I would choose the Sea Eagle. Well-made and one person can handle it. Watch out for puncturing the tubes with fishing gear, purchase and carry patch kits. The paddle(s) aren’t terrific, you might want to upgrade.
If you are going to store it in the RV and have room, a small inflatable boat with ridged flooring might be a better choice for fishing (Sea Eagle, Achilles, Zodiac). I have loaded complete SCUBA gear including portable air compressor into a 10 ft inflatable with anchor and was able to reach pristine unexplored areas in British Columbia and Alaska.
Some inflatables have ridged transoms or outriggers that allow mounting a trolling motor or small outboard. The bulk increases, so does the range and utility.
Although not your thing (shooting the rapids), low end and cost Sevelors are back-packable and disposable. I once flew into the Moose River Area in British Columbia with 3 Sevelors and 5 patch kits. Due to their smaller size and weight they were transportable by floatplane and could be packed in an operational Sevelor. Storage bags are available which would help protect the thin fabric. Again, the multi-piece paddle that is supplied with the Sevelor is not suitable for anything serious. I carry two Sevelors w portable inflation compressor in a tool box strapped to a hitch mounted cargo carrier (HFT Haul Master). 12V for the compressor is available from the trailer connector at the rear of the RV.
So, for fishing I would look at the above mentioned boats (rafts) they are not much larger than a kyak when deflated and much more stable in the water. They take a while longer to setup but are much more useful and have room to pack lunch. Some have oar locks that add additional capability.Their payload is superior to a kyak, I'm 6'4", 250 lbs.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 12:11 PM   #37
Webster'sCougar

Smile Inflatable kayak

Depends entirely on how you want to fish, and what kind of water / boat combo you're okay with.

Rowing an 8-10 foot dinghy lets you use rod holders and monitor trolling rod action. Kayaks have you looking the other way, unless you're up for paddling backwards…
Drop the oars to grab the rod, and they stay in the oarlocks. Try it with a kayak paddle while grabbing to strip in the line belly…!

I've lake fished rainbows a lot from a 9’ Advanced Elements kayak, too. Tough, comfortable, a bit wet and durable although kayaks are generally tough to fit with anchoring cleats for casting. It isn't a tub toy, like MANY inflatables. A man your size would need something bigger.

I stand an 8’ dinghy on the back extendable bumper of the 5th.

Worst outcome is to not go fishing…!
Webster'sCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 02:04 PM   #38
chateaunoname

Usually do

Wife and I each have an Aire Tomcat tandems. They stay in the truck bed rolled up. We take 3 day 2night river trips. That is why we got tandems. Big enough to pack gear into. When RVing, we usually are by a river, lake, reservoir. We love being on water floating or fishing. They are about $800.00 new.
chateaunoname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 02:38 PM   #39
Qwerty

I have (and would recommend) this kayak. https://www.seaeagle.com/SportKayaks/SE370

My advice? Don't buy a single-seater even if it's just for you.

My dog, Hemi, likes to play coxswain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3331.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	38494  

Hornet 26RBS
Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Magnum
Qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 08:18 PM   #40
Balvar24

I've considered the 370. Worried about it flexing under my big and tall frame, since it doesn't have the rigid floor.