Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2021, 03:39 PM   #1
slider909

Roof Question

Have a 2021 Cougar 5th wheel, 4 months old. Was up on the roof today for the first time and noticed that where the deck boards butted up to each other, the roofing was all lifted. Was like it on all of them. It was about 1" to 2" wide and maybe 1/4" high off the decking. You can push it all down

smooth but it will lift back up. Have a picture here, don't know if I can size it good enough to see it. I called the dealer, they ere going to call back, but never did. I've had 4 other campers, none of them were Keystones and then never looked like this. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211201_212530807.MP.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	37338  
slider909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 04:21 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Pictures OK but just to be sure... the lifted spot is north and south by my eye. Is that correct. I would stay on the selling dealer as that is not a good look. Keep us posted. Sorry you are having this issue. I am sure some smarter folk will be along with a theory on why you are having the issue.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 04:23 PM   #3
slider909

the lift goes east to west, across the camper.
Old 12-01-2021, 04:31 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

George, you may be laying down when you looked at the pic, but it is definitely going East/West.

OP: I would stay on the dealer, and you may want to submit those pics directly to Keystone.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 04:33 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
George, you may be laying down when you looked at the pic, but it is definitely going East/West.

OP: I would stay on the dealer, and you may want to submit those pics directly to Keystone.
Sitting in my chair in my business office. Guess I best get home and get some chow and kiss my honey.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 05:01 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

You definitely need to address this with the dealer and I'd also send photos (dated and timed) to Keystone.

Your dealer will likely "minimize the problem" and you'll likely hear something along the lines of, "The roof is guaranteed for 12 years, so no need to worry". Your response to that should be something like, "Yes, the membrane has a pro-rated 12 year warranty, but installation and the underlaying roof structure has Keystone's 1 year warranty, after which it's on my dime, so I want it fixed."......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:49 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Agree with the above. Your issue needs to be, and should be, addressed by your selling dealer without any question.....or direction to you to contact Keystone. Deal with the SM, TELL him what needs to be done (if you don't have any idea post back). The dealer is the party that needs to fix that so express that to them.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 04:51 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

All good advice above. I would only add this. When sending the emails to both the dealer and Keystone cc yourself and add a delivery and a read recipt to your email. That way you will have an electronic record of the correspondence and that the email was received and opened. Add all pertinent info such as purchase date, dates you called the dealer etc.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:57 AM   #9
slider909

Talked to and sent pictures to the dealer, they said to drop it off so they could look at it. Camping World. It's the first camper I've gotten from them, the previous 4 were from a different dealer, that I never had any problems with. But they didn't have anything in stock and this place did. So far dealing with the service dept, I've been less than thrilled with them. I get less excuses from the kids then these guys.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:58 AM   #10
slider909

right, always do that.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:13 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
All good advice above. I would only add this. When sending the emails to both the dealer and Keystone cc yourself and add a delivery and a read recipt to your email. That way you will have an electronic record of the correspondence and that the email was received and opened. Add all pertinent info such as purchase date, dates you called the dealer etc.
And, follow up every phone call to anyone with an email "memo of understanding" sent to the dealer, Keystone and to yourself... If you talk to the dealer, document everything as you understand what was said. If you talk to Keystone, document everything as you understand what was said. Send a copy of what you documented to both the dealer and Keystone after every phone call. It's "amazing" how much stuff is forgotten after an hour or "next week when something changes".... Document it, send it and keep everyone on the same page....

Don't expect the dealership or Keystone to "have your best interests as first priority"... They "work with you" but not "for you"....

You may never have a reason to go back to "email statements of understanding" but it's far better to have them and not need them than to need them and be "unprepared with facts".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-02-2021, 08:58 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider909 View Post
Talked to and sent pictures to the dealer, they said to drop it off so they could look at it. Camping World. It's the first camper I've gotten from them, the previous 4 were from a different dealer, that I never had any problems with. But they didn't have anything in stock and this place did. So far dealing with the service dept, I've been less than thrilled with them. I get less excuses from the kids then these guys.

Slider Camping World dealerships are all under a big umbrella but ran by individuals. As such, some are just super places and others not so much - strictly predicated by who is running the show and their expertise.....or desire to "do things right".

The key to getting things done with Keystone under warranty is the dealer and the information they submit to Keystone to get authorization. Some dealers (techs/service advisors/service managers) go to great lengths to submit information, and use key words, that they know will get a repair authorized. Others don't want to mess with it and will just give Keystone a cursory statement virtually assuring a denial.

At CW the head dog at the dealership is the GM. The thing I like about them is that that's not the end of the chain (pyramid) like some dealers. They all ultimately end up reporting to the CEO of CW. Your issue will be the presentation by the dealership to Keystone for warranty authorization. Tell the SM you want copies of the authorization request(s) sent to make sure the situation is described fully and accurately. At some point you may need to contact Keystone to assist with the authorization but with a properly submitted request, hopefully not. Good luck.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:01 AM   #13
slider909

Have and apt to bring it in to the dealer Saturday morning. The SA wants to take a look and hopefully have a tech look also. She said they are booked up solid till mid Feb for service, but since this is a roof issue she wants to document it, get the claim to Keystone started (if need be
Old 12-03-2021, 06:05 AM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

Good, just make sure you follow up in a couple days and ask for copies of the warranty submission. Document every conversation with names dates and times I hope this get resolved with a favorable outcome for you.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:16 AM   #15
slider909

I don't know what happened to the rest of my post, my dog is climbing all over me this morning and won't leave me along, she hit the keyboard! I'll post the outcome, Thanks for all the input.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:35 AM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Have and apt to bring it in to the dealer Saturday morning. The SA wants to take a look and hopefully have a tech look also. She said they are booked up solid till mid Feb for service, but since this is a roof issue she wants to document it, get the claim to Keystone started (if need be

As a precaution I would also contact Keystone Owner Relations as well - use email. Document the entire scenario to them, state the VIN plus the fact that any warranty repairs could be months in the future due to dealer backlog. List every defect you are aware of at this point and any future ones so they will have them documented at the manufacturer level - the ones who will approve any warranty work.

I've had warranty work approved and completed many months after my warranty expired but only because I notified the dealer AND Keystone as the issues arose prior to warranty expiration. No questions asked and none refused when it finally got in for repairs.
Old 12-03-2021, 01:47 PM   #17
Camping family

Quote:
Can tell you I am dealing with camping world in Raleigh Nc and not happy with them. Have had my camper going on 2 months and still telling me they are sending pics as requested to keystone. Issue is the outside kitchen slide out floor gets wet when slide is closed. The underneath of the floor. They have given me some of the dumb excuse for it getting wet I have ever heard of. Can tell you one thing will never buy from camping world again and if keystone doesn’t take care of the problem will never buy a keystone again
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 04:44 AM   #18
slider909

Took it there yesterday, they looked at the roof and said it needs replacing. The roofing separated where the decking seams are, something about the tape that's used to cover the wood didn't hold. Started the claims process with Keystone. Guy said he's seen roofs with a lot less separation and Keystone had no issues with replacing it. Time will tell. He also said that his camper has the same issue, but its out of warranty and he's not doing anything about it, that it really doesn't affect the structure of the roofing, which I agree with. But with a new camper that we've only had for a few months, it's going to be replaced. I wonder how it was missed at the dealer with their pre-sale inspection process. Or it wasn't missed and they were willing to let it pass hoping that it wouldn't be noticed.

What I'm worried about is how good of a job the replaced roof will be? Will it be as good as the factory, well better than. That's a lot of work.

Camping Family, yes, same dealership.
Old 12-05-2021, 06:53 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

One point to address with the dealer is how the existing roof is removed, what is done to the OSB decking that will be damaged when "chips" of the OSB are pulled away from the decking (adhered to the TPO membrane) creating "divots in the decking"..... When the new roof is glued in place, it will probably look OK, but next summer (when the trailer is out of warranty) and the sun hits the membrane, causing it to soften with the heat, you'll start to notice the "missing chips under the membrane". We've had a number of members who had replacement roofs installed over "damaged decking" and later, the appearance of the roof is not as "smooth as it was when new"....

You might want to address how the dealer plans to "smooth the decking surface" before installing the new roof membrane. It will not be considered a "functional issue" so Keystone won't insist on a "cosmetic/appearance cost" unless it's addressed prior to the work being done and is expressly approved.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-05-2021, 08:06 AM   #20
Camping family

Quote:
Took it there yesterday, they looked at the roof and said it needs replacing. The roofing separated where the decking seams are, something about the tape that's used to cover the wood didn't hold. Started the claims process with Keystone. Guy said he's seen roofs with a lot less separation and Keystone had no issues with replacing it. Time will tell. He also said that his camper has the same issue, but its out of warranty and he's not doing anything about it, that it really doesn't affect the structure of the roofing, which I agree with. But with a new camper that we've only had for a few months, it's going to be replaced. I wonder how it was missed at the dealer with their pre-sale inspection process. Or it wasn't missed and they were willing to let it pass hoping that it wouldn't be noticed.

What I'm worried about is how good of a job the replaced roof will be? Will it be as good as the factory, well better than. That's a lot of work.

Camping Family, yes, same dealership.
Good luck my has been repaired yet and still waiting on keystone
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof