Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2021, 04:45 PM   #1
Olsen29

Another soft floor

2017 bullet premier RIPR
I know it's our of warranty, I don't mind fixing it myself. I just can't figure out where the water is coming from. I hope someone here could help me find the source of the water. Thank youClick image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210921_225311530.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	35934
Olsen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 05:37 PM   #2
RVrebuild

I have a keystone sprinter and I am rebuilding the floors and will have to fix a leak in the roof. I have one question though. If the heater register is out of floor can I just go across instead of front to back on the floor joist. Will that be stable?
RVrebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 05:43 PM   #3
RVrebuild

Check your roof for tear by your awning. Could be coming down the wall inside and that will cause a water leak.
Old 09-22-2021, 02:05 AM   #4
Olsen29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVrebuild View Post
I have a keystone sprinter and I am rebuilding the floors and will have to fix a leak in the roof. I have one question though. If the heater register is out of floor can I just go across instead of front to back on the floor joist. Will that be stable?
Sorry, I don't quite understand the question.
Old 09-22-2021, 02:08 AM   #5
Olsen29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVrebuild View Post
Check your roof for tear by your awning. Could be coming down the wall inside and that will cause a water leak.
I thought I found it where the power for the porch lights hours in the wall, not there.
The wall and "bottom plate" show no sign of water at all..
I'll be cutting the floor apart today and see if I can see more.
I'll keep this updated.
Old 09-22-2021, 03:37 AM   #6
spicercars

That's something you should not have to do on a 17. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2021, 04:57 AM   #7
RVrebuild

Is you RV not under warranty anymore?
Old 09-22-2021, 05:02 AM   #8
RVrebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olsen29 View Post
Sorry, I don't quite understand the question.
As in a pier and beam house, the floor joist go across the support beam but in a RV they go perpendicular to the supports. The supports go from front to back and so does the joist because it allows for the heat duct. I had to pull the heat ducts so I was wanting to know if there was any reason why I just can't put floor joists back in like you would a a house.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:37 AM   #9
08quadram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olsen29 View Post
2017 bullet premier RIPR
I know it's our of warranty, I don't mind fixing it myself. I just can't figure out where the water is coming from. I hope someone here could help me find the source of the water. Thank youAttachment 35934
The soft floor on my 2019 Bullet was coming from several locations. In your area my Man door leaked and there was no butyl tape behind the screws that held the exterior skirt trim at the floor line. It was letting water behind those many, many screws that run the length of the trailer on each side.

I had other leaks from construction deficiencies, but I will say Keystone stood behind it and more than made it right.
1-wife / 1-dog / 2-kids
08quadram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:54 AM   #10
Eastham

I have a 2016 Cougar .It has also developed a soft spot by the rear door.keep us posted how you repair it
Thanks
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 01:51 AM   #11
Olsen29

It appears that the water followed the wire powering the LED strip light down the wall to the floor.
I will post more pictures a little later.

Then I got to see what a mess it was in the under belly and got a little carried away with making it right.
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210926_193843139.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	36207
Old 10-07-2021, 07:44 AM   #12
Dav711

Check out other threads on this topic

I have a 2017 Bullet 28RKS with the exact same problem. There’s at least one other long thread on this topic. I wasn’t sure how to copy and paste the link to it, but if you search I’m sure you’ll find it. It was quite easy when I searched under soft floor and leaks. The short of this long long thread was that there is some general agreement that, while there may be several sources, the main source was the passenger (right side) wheel wells and lack of any sort of fenders. Rocks, anything with somewhat sharp edges are being kicked up to the top of the wheel well and piercing the thin floor fabric allowing water to enter when traveling on wet roads or in the rain especially. The luan (Sp?) gets wet and softens, as the water has no place to go or dry quickly. Some, including me, have covered and sealed the top of the wheel well with some sort of plastic or fiberglass or something similar to prevent the problem from getting any worse. Also, I checked and sealed any other possible source: screw holes, flashing, roof, etc. it doesn’t seem to be getting any worse, but the floor is already soft from the dinette to the carpet edge of the slide, and at the door entry. Also, I have heard some chatter/rumors about Keystone finally stepping up and admitting AND fixing the problem, although very slowly. Floors are being replaced with new waterproof floors. I’m just starting to look into this. As the second owner I’m not sure if that makes a difference. Best of luck to all with this issue. Call and put more pressure on Keystone, and talk up the issue on social media.
Dav711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:00 AM   #13
K and D

another soft floor

We own a 2018 19FBPR and last year I discovered a soft spot on the door side front by the storage slam latch. It took significant recaulking to stop the leak.
the reason I mention it is that the water from leak worked its way from the storage compartment to the living area close to the door.

I am learning that caulk is your best friend with these rigs....
Crew Cab 4 x 4 Short Bed

K and D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:01 AM   #14
jlc

Keystone will likely take this back to the factory and repair at no cost if you take to a dealer for inspection
jlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:09 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc View Post
Keystone will likely take this back to the factory and repair at no cost if you take to a dealer for inspection
I wouldn't make that promise too prematurely.....

This may be a "second owner trailer". Depending on the circumstances he may have had a warranty from Keystone for part of the ownership, but on the other hand, if he bought it last month (as an example) he has no warranty and Keystone doesn't provide warranty repairs to "old trailers that were bought with damage and no transferrable warranty"....

Even if it is a "first owner unit" in 2017, there was no 3 year structural warranty on any of Keystone's trailers. That started, I believe, in September, 2018.

So...... Run the dealer assistance route, but I wouldn't make any "obligatory factory promises"... Chances are very, VERY good that Keystone will deny all claims on an out of warranty unit, especially one that is 5 model years old....

In an "ideal world" ... but in today's world ??? Slim chances of warranty repairs on a trailer that old.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:13 AM   #16
jlc

Denial is always possible. This is a known issue with these units and they have honored some second owner issues regarding this. The first step to know for sure is to take to a dealer inspection and let Keystone make a decision. It is always worth a shot.
Old 10-07-2021, 08:25 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc View Post
Denial is always possible. This is a known issue with these units and they have honored some second owner issues regarding this. The first step to know for sure is to take to a dealer inspection and let Keystone make a decision. It is always worth a shot.
It is possible, my concern is the comment: "Keystone will likely take this back to the factory and repair at no cost if you take to a dealer..."

That's akin to the odds of winning the Power Ball on any given Saturday with one ticket..... Winning with those odds is "likely" as probable as Keystone accepting this trailer for "repair at no cost"... Might happen, "likely won't" so my comments maybe should have ended with,

But don't get your hopes up.... Keystone likely will deny any repair work under warranty....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:33 AM   #18
jlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It is possible, my concern is the comment: "Keystone will likely take this back to the factory and repair at no cost if you take to a dealer..."

That's akin to the odds of winning the Power Ball on any given Saturday with one ticket..... Winning with those odds is "likely" as probable as Keystone accepting this trailer for "repair at no cost"... Might happen, "likely won't" so my comments maybe should have ended with,

But don't get your hopes up.... Keystone likely will deny any repair work under warranty....
Only trying to help. I was just saying there is that possibility. Sorry If I gave anyone the wrong impressions. Just really trying to help. The other thing I will add though if he does try, taking it to a good dealer familiar with this will help. One of the failures with getting things covered sometimes lies with improper representation from the dealer.
Old 10-08-2021, 11:13 PM   #19
Olsen29

The dealer wants$75 to look at it and submit a claim.
This to me is just the dealer not stepping up and being a good dealer.
I'll call it the price of education.
I fixed it myself and while I was at it I cleaned up the wiring, heating and plumbing.
I went so far as to remove the electrical panel and take wiring and pull back to the destination and reroute the wires so they would ask be bundled together.
Then I bought 9 sheets of 1.5 foam board, a sheet of 1" foam board and a roll of refletix insulation.
I am almost done with the insulation.
I also had a battery fail and spray acid so down the underside of the trailer. This led to fasteners being so rusty and the frame where the Coroplast is farte fastened to the frame was very rusty.
I sanded ,Ospho and Por15 the frame, then I am going to install foam weatherstrip before the Coroplast, finally holding the Coroplast up with strips of 16ga aluminum and stainless screws.
I'm not afraid of buying all new Coroplast but I think I may need to buy a section for the middle, overlap, and tape with permanent gorilla tape.
Next I will use the leftover Coroplast to"protect" the fabric under the outside of the frame except for the wheel wells i will use 16ga aluminum from old road signs to protect from road debris.
I will share pictures later if anyone is interested.
Old 10-09-2021, 10:38 AM   #20

I had a major "soft floor" issue with my previous 2013 Clipper by Coachmen 16 FB. when I discovered how cheaply this TT was built, and how much disassembly would be required to repair it, I traded it for my 2021 Springdale 220RD!
305940 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor