Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2021, 09:32 AM   #1
taboky

Did Keystone use a certain waste valve

I have a 2014 Sprinter 5th wheel that has a leak in black valve. Wanted to order the seal kit before tearing into underbelly, but found that there could be a few different brands of valve up there. Did Keystone use a specific valve? Or do I need to tear into it first.

Thanks for any info,

Steve
taboky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 09:57 AM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboky View Post
I have a 2014 Sprinter 5th wheel that has a leak in black valve. Wanted to order the seal kit before tearing into underbelly, but found that there could be a few different brands of valve up there. Did Keystone use a specific valve? Or do I need to tear into it first.

Thanks for any info,

Steve
Before you tear into it, how many bends & how much piping is between the valve & the termination connection? If several bends or a couple feet piping you could get as much as a quart of liquid when removing the cap & replacing seals won't stop that.
I always connect the hose to the sewer outlet 1st then hold the open end of the hose under the cap (see cap below) to catch what runs out.

Name:   download (3).jpeg
Views: 1387
Size:  7.4 KB
Replace the cap with one of these so you can open the small cap 1st to easily catch what's left in the piping.
If you get a non stop flow then you may need seals or a good tank flush to wash out what may be stuck in the valve.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 10:48 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

If I remember right Keystone liked Bristol. BUT you cant tell one trailer to the next because it depends on Availability. If your going to just order seals then I would suggest:

Valterra BladeX- can be used in any VALTERRA valve 3"

Bristol- can only be used in BRISTOL valves. 3"

That means you order 2 seal sets and odds are your covered. Speaking of which make sure your face and hands are COVERED when you take that valve apart....ask me how I know

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 01:57 PM   #4
taboky

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Before you tear into it, how many bends & how much piping is between the valve & the termination connection? If several bends or a couple feet piping you could get as much as a quart of liquid when removing the cap & replacing seals won't stop that.
I always connect the hose to the sewer outlet 1st then hold the open end of the hose under the cap (see cap below) to catch what runs out.
Attachment 35483
Replace the cap with one of these so you can open the small cap 1st to easily catch what's left in the piping.
If you get a non stop flow then you may need seals or a good tank flush to wash out what may be stuck in the valve.
Wish it was that easy. I went to dump and nothing came out. Threw the flush valve on and sounded empty. After about a minute, stuff started coming out. Fluid leaked out. Luckily, I was able to run flush and fill tank a few times, so it is clean, but can still see water slowly leak out after valve shut for an hour.
Old 08-28-2021, 02:00 PM   #5
taboky

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If I remember right Keystone liked Bristol. BUT you cant tell one trailer to the next because it depends on Availability. If your going to just order seals then I would suggest:

That means you order 2 seal sets and odds are your covered. Speaking of which make sure your face and hands are COVERED when you take that valve apart....ask me how I know
Thanks. I am happy ordering only 2 sets. My tank is running clear water right now, and I have it open so everything should be dry when I get to it. I DO know what can happen though, and will be dressed for it
Old 08-28-2021, 03:47 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

If your black tank valve is open, I wouldn’t add any “solids” as they will stick to the tank and cause a pyramid you’ll have to deal with.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 08-29-2021, 07:57 AM   #7
taboky

Quote:
If your black tank valve is open, I wouldn’t add any “solids” as they will stick to the tank and cause a pyramid you’ll have to deal with.
Definitely not. It is all empty and drying. Waiting for the seals to come in (no one carries them locally, why?) and will tackle it then. We have mice problems here so didn't want to rip open underbelly without doing complete job so I can seal everything up good.

Thanks
Old 09-05-2021, 09:24 AM   #8
taboky

Finally got to RV. unscrewed enough to see where valve was and cut opening. Surprisingly, the underside was clean. No mice droppings. Also, didn't see any insulation. Thought there would be some there. Got valve out, and there was stuff stuck in the slot. Cleaned it up and figured I was here, so replace the seals. Nowhere on the valve does it state brand. Luckily, was able to match numbers from old seal to new seal. They were Bristol. Put all back together, no leaks.

Thanks for all the help,

Steve
Old 09-06-2021, 03:34 PM   #9
BDove

2021 balves

Whose waste valves were used in 2021?
BDove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 04:35 PM   #10
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDove View Post
Whose waste valves were used in 2021?
It's not a year to year thing, it's a week to week thing. If their preferred supplier can't ship, they'll use a different model and try again when they run out
Old 09-07-2021, 04:27 AM   #11
Dave W

Look on the pull handle. Valterra (on ours) has its name stamped on it. Yes, it IS hard to see

Interchangeability - was told on the Montana Owner's forum that a Valterra will directly interchange with a Bristol. Couldn't prove that true as the OE's are already Valterra
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 04:44 AM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Look on the pull handle. Valterra (on ours) has its name stamped on it. Yes, it IS hard to see

Interchangeability - was told on the Montana Owner's forum that a Valterra will directly interchange with a Bristol. Couldn't prove that true as the OE's are already Valterra
I can tell you from personal experience ( I am an RV tech) that Bristol and valterra valve flanges are different and I haven’t seen it work.

Old 09-07-2021, 07:44 AM   #13
Dave W

Quote:
I can tell you from personal experience ( I am an RV tech) that Bristol and valterra valve flanges are different and I haven’t seen it work.
Like I said above - the MOC forum members advised me that they interchanged. Guess that those learned folks might be wrong.
Old 09-07-2021, 11:49 AM   #14
LHaven

Quote:
I'm sorry, I had to chuckle at this observation.

My valve is not a Valterra but it says Valterra on the handle. Why? Because Valterra makes the pull handles the RV store sells to replace the OEM pull handles that constantly unscrew and fall off while you're going down the highway!
Old 09-07-2021, 05:28 PM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

Lasalle/Bristol cable actuated valves use a screw to secure the T handle, Valterra T handles are threaded.

Old 09-09-2021, 02:28 AM   #16
Dave W

I did a bit more research on whether Valterra can be a direct replacement for a LaSalle Bristol. Yes, they can be and can also directly replace other brands as well . This was confirmed via several RV on line stores and most importantly, by a Valterra Customer Service rep, a caopy and paste below. The only thing that I found different was that a comment was made on one forum that a Bristol valve is a little thinner and the plumbing flanges might need to be spread a bit to get the Valterra in place.

Hi D***, yes, our standard manual 3” valve will replace the LaSalle Bristol 3” standard manual valve. The bolt pattern is the same.

Belinda Garcia
Customer Service
Valterra Products, LLC

Sent: Wednesday, September 8, 2021 3:12 PM
To: valterra@ Valterra <[email protected]>
Subject: Contact Form from Website

Name
D. W****

Email
***************.net

Phone
(518) 2**-4***

How can we help?

Can the 3" Valterra waste valves replace OE LaSalle Bristol valve?

Thanks

Old 09-09-2021, 04:22 AM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

If you read my response, you’ll see I was talking about the seals.

Old 09-09-2021, 06:43 AM   #18
Dave W

Your response has NOTHING that I can see to do with seals and what I said about valve interchangeability. My response was stictly about a valve change out - not seals. Different manufacturers and parts compatibility .... ???

"I can tell you from personal experience ( I am an RV tech) that Bristol and valterra valve flanges are different and I haven’t seen it work
Old 09-09-2021, 07:21 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:

Quote:
If you read my response, you’ll see I was talking about the seals.
Quote:
Your response has NOTHING that I can see to do with seals and what I said about valve interchangeability. My response was stictly about a valve change out - not seals. Different manufacturers and parts compatibility .... ???

"I can tell you from personal experience ( I am an RV tech) that Bristol and valterra valve flanges are different and I haven’t seen it work
Dave W,

Chuck's response has EVERYTHING to do with seals !!!!!

The valve bodies are interchangeable. What Chuck said about the "VALVE SEALS" is correct. They are not "interchangeable both ways"....

You can change out the entire valve body and use any brand to replace any brand (assuming you can get the handle to connect from the valve body to the handle pull mount)... That said, you CAN NOT INTERCHANGE ANY VALVE SEAL FOR ANY VALVE SEAL..... That is what Chuck stated in his post above. He didn't say anything about replacing the valve body in that post..... Bottom line, as he stated, some valve seals are not interchangeable. It should be understood by most, that if you're changing the entire valve body, they all have the same "bolt pattern" and are interchangeable.

In short, "Valves can be interchanged, some valve seal kits can not"..... Seems pretty simple to me...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:37 AM   #20
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Dave W,

Chuck's response has EVERYTHING to do with seals !!!!!

The valve bodies are interchangeable. What Chuck said about the "VALVE SEALS" is correct. They are not "interchangeable both ways"....

You can change out the entire valve body and use any brand to replace any brand (assuming you can get the handle to connect from the valve body to the handle pull mount)... That said, you CAN NOT INTERCHANGE ANY VALVE SEAL FOR ANY VALVE SEAL..... That is what Chuck stated in his post above. He didn't say anything about replacing the valve body in that post..... Bottom line, as he stated, some valve seals are not interchangeable. It should be understood by most, that if you're changing the entire valve body, they all have the same "bolt pattern" and are interchangeable.

In short, "Valves can be interchanged, some valve seal kits can not"..... Seems pretty simple to me...

It has ALREADY been well clarified so why the added post?

Tags
keystone