Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2021, 06:08 AM   #1
CajunAsian

2021 Raptor 429 Wheel Base

Hello All,

First time poster here. Looking for some information that I cannot find anywhere. I pick up our Raptor 429 this weekend and I need to build some leveling blocks for our driveway. Due to the slope in our driveway I will need to raise the driver side of the Raptor a few inches to make level while in the driveway. Does anyone know the distance from the leading edge of the first tire to the trailing edge of the third? Treated 2x8 are not the cheapest thing so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
CajunAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:26 AM   #2
notanlines

That would be 108 inches. Two 2x10's at 10 feet long will do the job. Scrap lumber nailed to the bottom will save you the price of one board.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:50 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
That would be 108 inches. Two 2x10's at 10 feet long will do the job. Scrap lumber nailed to the bottom will save you the price of one board.
Yep.... Until the wood gets a little "water logged" and the nails start coming up through the top 2x10... Then the price of scrap lumber "equals the price of tire repair".... Some things are better left without taking the "cheap way out"... ( I think that is the point you were making..... )

A $60 thousand dollar trailer and cutting corners on a $10 board ????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:55 AM   #4
CajunAsian

Thank you very much.
Old 08-11-2021, 08:56 AM   #5
CajunAsian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Yep.... Until the wood gets a little "water logged" and the nails start coming up through the top 2x10... Then the price of scrap lumber "equals the price of tire repair".... Some things are better left without taking the "cheap way out"... ( I think that is the point you were making..... )

A $60 thousand dollar trailer and cutting corners on a $10 board ????
Just until the Anderson's get here.
Old 08-11-2021, 09:16 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunAsian View Post
Just until the Anderson's get here.
The Raptor 429 comes "standard" with a 6 point hydraulic leveling system. Unless you're "parking on the side of a mountain" the trailer shouldn't "need" anderson leveling chocks or 2x10's.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-11-2021, 09:31 AM   #7
CajunAsian

Quote:
The Raptor 429 comes "standard" with a 6 point hydraulic leveling system. Unless you're "parking on the side of a mountain" the trailer shouldn't "need" anderson leveling chocks or 2x10's.....
Can I leave the thing parked on the leveling jacks though? Would it not be better for the life of the hydraulics to raise one side using the suspension while it is parked in the driveway. I actually thought of raising one side high enough to slide the spare 2x8s that I have left over from the deck.

The drive way is not terrible but a very noticeable slope.

Thanks again for your wisdom.
Old 08-11-2021, 09:45 AM   #8
Vinnie

I've parked mine (same camper) both ways. You're going to be using the hydraulics either way. When you level with blocks, you have to drop the front supports anyway, then left/right to get it level on the front without twisting the chassis. That results in hydros engaged on the front, and partially-extended, but not contacting, supports on the low side middle and rear.

Can't tell you which is better for longevity, but I now prefer long-term use of the hydros

Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:50 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

I would use the leveling jacks, that's what they are there for. If you want to use lumber why span the empty space? You only need two sections of lumber long enough to supprt the tires. Cut the bottom peice a few inches longer to make a "step" for the tire to climb. Use deck screws on no worries for years. Just back in about 2' shy of where you wany to park. Place the lumber behind the tires and back up until your on.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:56 AM   #10
Vinnie

What he said- but three axles/tires. I had used some of those roll-back wedge/chock things, and they worked well. When we hitched up again, there were chock-shaped dents in my asphalt. I guess there's a reason for that third axle!

Old 08-11-2021, 01:11 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
What he said- but three axles/tires. I had used some of those roll-back wedge/chock things, and they worked well. When we hitched up again, there were chock-shaped dents in my asphalt. I guess there's a reason for that third axle!
One of the older (no longer with us) moderators was in Utah several years ago, camping during a "not so warm autumn". He and his DW were using "anderson rocking chocks" on his Cougar. While getting ready to tow further south, (getting ready to leave the campground) he was hitched, moving the rig to take pressure off the Anderson levelers. His wife reached down to "help by removing the top piece" and got her thumb caught between the tire and the leveler. It amputated her thumb at the first joint and ended their "trip south". After the surgery to complete the amputation, they cancelled and headed home to Canada.

So, if you're "gonna use those red things" make sure that BOTH people involved in setting them and in removing them pays attention to what they're doing.......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-11-2021, 02:22 PM   #12
Vinnie

Quote:
So, if you're "gonna use those red things" make sure that BOTH people involved in setting them and in removing them pays attention to what they're doing.......
First operational thought- safety! When I'm on the brake pedal and she's spotting/doing things outside, the truck doesn't move until she explicitly says so, and I confirm. Makes for slow going, but I've already broken her finger once, and haven't lived it down yet!
Old 08-11-2021, 04:57 PM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

I've seen a person get their foot run over trying to hold a board from slipping under a tire. We have a steadfast rule that nothing moves if she's out of the truck and I can't see her in a mirror or in the camera view.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 08:40 AM   #14
wifi_guy

You can park it on the jacks, that won't hurt anything.
wifi_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 12:55 PM   #15
travelin texans

Use the levelling system, if blocks are needed put them under the jacks, the shorter the jacks extend the more stable the rv feels.
If backing onto lumber you most likely will need blocks under the jacks anyway to keep from over extending the jacks & getting the out of stroke error.
I used a couple sets of Lynx Levelers, easier to store & much lighter than the lumber. Always used at least 2 under each jack & more on the low side.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raptor