Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2021, 04:43 PM   #21
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Brian, your horse called and he said keep it closed, please!
Now THAT is funny!
Old 06-09-2021, 06:17 PM   #22
dutchmensport

I see you are from Illinois. Checking out a couple things, "double tow" is permissible in Illinois, but the total length of your rig can only be 60 feet (to be legal in Illinois.) Also, consider this:

"Rear unit must be the lightest and be a trailer designed for transporting a boat, all-terrain vehicle, personal watercraft or motorcycle."

Hopefully, you have checked the laws in your state to be sure you can transport livestock in the 2nd trailer?
Old 06-10-2021, 03:28 PM   #23
brianshellhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I see you are from Illinois. Checking out a couple things, "double tow" is permissible in Illinois, but the total length of your rig can only be 60 feet (to be legal in Illinois.) Also, consider this:

"Rear unit must be the lightest and be a trailer designed for transporting a boat, all-terrain vehicle, personal watercraft or motorcycle."

Hopefully, you have checked the laws in your state to be sure you can transport livestock in the 2nd trailer?
Nah I don't really care what the law is. Some are ment to be broke. But the last trailer it's for sure lighter. I'm hardly ever in IL so other states don't know the laws. Either does IL. It's not so much law as guide lines. It'll be fine. Plus I'm hauling my motorcycle in it too. But thank you for the tip info and heads-up. IL police if worse comes to worse a couple hundred dollars they'll look the other way ��������
brianshellhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:20 PM   #24
travelin texans

WOW!
From admitting to flagerantly ignoring the laws to offering brides to law enforcement, good examples for newbies that don't have a clue.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:36 PM   #25
dutchmensport

Interesting response there brianshellhart.

I'm a computer software tester. I've been doing this for a long, long time now. Many years ago, in one of my original training classes for this profession, one of the very first things we were told, and this stuck with me for years and years now....

As a software tester, it is "yours" to test and report. It doesn't matter if the report is a "pass" or a "fail". It's your job to "report" on the results of your tests. After that, it's someone else's responsibility to determine what to do with the results of that report. They may decide the bug needs to be fixed, and they may decide the bug is acceptable. But it's not YOUR responsibility to determine what to do next. It's theirs after you've submitted your report. The monkey is off your back.

So, I reported my findings with no bias or prejudices, and still stand that way. The results of my findings now rest on your shoulders. Good luck!
Old 06-10-2021, 05:24 PM   #26
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
WOW!
From admitting to flagerantly ignoring the laws to offering brides to law enforcement, good examples for newbies that don't have a clue.

I’m gonna sit this one out lol
Old 06-10-2021, 06:24 PM   #27
brianshellhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
WOW!

Oh I'm no newbie I been doing this awhile. I just know IL hell the last 3 governor's been to jail for extortion.nbut really there texan you should take things lightly for it's not all that serious. Relax a little there sir before you have a aneurysm. I care for my critters and my property. I'm going to do all safely and there is no law against hauling livestock behind a fifth wheel nor double hauling
Old 06-10-2021, 07:09 PM   #28
brianshellhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Interesting response there brianshellhart.

I'm a computer software tester. I've been doing this for a long, long time now. Many years ago, in one of my original training classes for this profession, one of the very first things we were told, and this stuck with me for years and years now....

As a software tester, it is "yours" to test and report. It doesn't matter if the report is a "pass" or a "fail". It's your job to "report" on the results of your tests. After that, it's someone else's responsibility to determine what to do with the results of that report. They may decide the bug needs to be fixed, and they may decide the bug is acceptable. But it's not YOUR responsibility to determine what to do next. It's theirs after you've submitted your report. The monkey is off your back.

So, I reported my findings with no bias or prejudices, and still stand that way. The results of my findings now rest on your shoulders. Good luck!
Dutchman I have no idea what you are talking about there sir
Old 06-10-2021, 08:01 PM   #29
firestation12

Brake controller gain

Keep in mind that the setup you’ve described will present another issue. The 7way plug you’ve wired to the 5th wheels rear bumper will be sending the same gain to the horse trailer as the 5th wheel axle brakes. You may experience locked up brakes on the horse trailer when normal stopping is called for on the 5er.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:57 PM   #30
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianshellhart View Post
Oh I'm no newbie I been doing this awhile. I just know IL hell the last 3 governor's been to jail for extortion.nbut really there texan you should take things lightly for it's not all that serious. Relax a little there sir before you have a aneurysm. I care for my critters and my property. I'm going to do all safely and there is no law against hauling livestock behind a fifth wheel nor double hauling
Good luck with your endeavors!
I'm done!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 10:16 AM   #31
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianshellhart View Post
LOL yeah I know 😂😄😄😄 I'm just playing but I do have to figure out how I'm going to get my dorm fridge around. Maybe just throw it in the 5ther under the table or something
I recommend you put that thing on the back, set your gun safe on it and take a trip. See how that works out.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 11:06 AM   #32
gearhead

On a previous 5th I had the sheet metal bumper removed and a heavy 4X4 bumper with a receiver welded on. But the purpose was to carry 1 or 2 bicycles, not tow a horse trailer. There is no way I would do that.
I think me and dutchmensport had a similar work culture.
Nothing personal but even if you can weld airplane wings on the fuselage hanging upside down by your jock strap, you need an engineer to look at what you're thinking.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote