Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2020, 06:00 AM   #1
chunker

In command and phone app

So far the In command working nicely and I decided to get the phone app up and running. I-phone 11. First off it was very difficult to navigate through the instructions and I had to make repeated attempts in order to install the app. Once I finally had it on the phone it worked initially but the next day, and now, it just says "connecting" but never does. I'm not trying to use it on the other side of the country, just sitting inside. Are these apps or the In command programs so fragile that staying connected is unlikely. When I did the install it took several tries with different problems each time.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:13 AM   #2
QCMan
Gone Traveling

The quickest way to use the app is to go to your bluetooth settings and connect to the in command unit then go to the app and it will connect.
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:08 AM   #3
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCMan View Post
The quickest way to use the app is to go to your bluetooth settings and connect to the in command unit then go to the app and it will connect.
That's what I did it's just that the in command and the phone didn't want to talk to each other and the info on the phone and in command had different reasons for not talking to each other. The app is installed but they must be having a hissy fit since they quit talking to each other. The I get motivated I'll delete the app and reinstall. Just PITA dealing with them.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:26 AM   #4
GASMAN6674

I have no issues with the app on my android phone. I have been able to connect to the rv from inside my house (50 ft) without issue.
I would dump it and reload
2015 F350 CC Dually 4:30 & 6.2L
GASMAN6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:55 AM   #5
K_N_L

On ours it seems to good around and inside the camper but when I need it most, like to raise or lower the pin height a inch or so to connect the truck it stops!!! Within about 15 foot of the control pad seems to be best, guessing the metal in the truck messes it up sometimes.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 12:00 PM   #6
GASMAN6674

Mine won't/can't talk to the level up system. Two different vendors I assume. I wish it could. But I can control all the lights, HVAC, Water, Slides and awnings (2) and see tank levels
2015 F350 CC Dually 4:30 & 6.2L
GASMAN6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 05:49 PM   #7
JJaxon

I use my Android from inside, outside, in the cab of the truck, and as far as 40ish feet away, no issues. From the cab I can raise and lower as I back under the hitch to connect the Andersen Ultimate. Being able to use that saves me time and saves my knees from the climbing in and out. It's a great system when it works properly.
As for the connection to InCommand, my bluetooth is always connected when I get near the RV. My awnings work from inside or outside, as does the other mechanicals - AC's, leveling, lights, etc.

I'll guess and say it is an app issue with your Iphone. Have you tried calling ASA (InCommand people)? They are very helpful and will talk you through any issues you are fighting with their system.
2018 Honda Goldwing DCT Tour
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Youtube channel - Wingin' it with John
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:18 AM   #8
behrmr

I had similar problems when I first set it up. Re-pair the phone to the in-command (on the iphone "forget" that device and re-pair it). Then going forward just flip to BT settings on iphone and tap on the device to connect if it isn't connected already. I've had no issues since I did this.
behrmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 07:06 AM   #9
markcee

Also remember that you can only pair one iOS device at a time. A problem if both you and the wife are using iPhones/iPads and you both wish to run the app. This limit does not apply to Android devices
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 05:30 PM   #10
LewisB

We have the 2018 iN.Command version called "Pro Plus" Model JRVCS2. If you have a different model, these comments may not apply to you.

The ProPlus iN.Command is blue tooth only. We also have a Victron BMV 712 energy monitor which uses blue tooth. We use iPhones to connect to both the iN.Command system and the Victron Energy apps - switching back and forth between the two apps. We use iN.Command to set the Generator to "Auto" such that it will automatically start and run for an hour in response to voltage drop in the system. We can then use the Victron system to monitor state of charge/remaining amp hours while we watch TV for example. This allows me to stay ahead of our energy use and, for example, maybe run the generator for an hour before going to bed. We also have an inverter system that can run at night to charge camera batteries, etc. so I am commonly engaged in both the generator controls and energy monitoring.

I'm certainly not an expert on this subject; but here's what I think I have learned over the last year of use of our iN.Command system:
  • Only 1 iPhone can use the blue tooth radio at a time. You can not connect 2 iPhones to iN.Command and use them simultaneously. You can PAIR multiple phones, but only connect and use 1 phone at a time.
  • It is very common for the Victron to "steal" the blue tooth radio signal. When switching back and forth between the two apps, it is common to be required to go back to the iPhones blue tooth settings and "re-connect" iN.Command to the iPhone blue tooth.
  • Most of the "issues" we have had with iN.Command are actually issues created by the iPhone security protocols. For some reason, Apple doesn't like to move in and out of an APP that is using your blue tooth without repeatedly querrying your security protocols.
After a while, we have learned to live with it - now it's just the way it is.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote