Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2020, 10:13 AM   #1
rjsurfer

By passing Key TV board.

I've had it with the Key TV system, it works on OTA then it doesn't, if I set up an outside antenna and run it directly to the TV never a problem. But I'm getting tired of setting up a pole and changing the cable hook up, the cable input side of the TV works fine by the way.

So, I'm thinking (that's dangerous) what if I can keep the existing roof antenna, an omni 12volt disc, and just bypass the Key TV module and connect the existing antenna directly to the television.

How would I then supply the necessary 12v to the antenna?

How much is that Key TV module by the way.

Ron W
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 10:31 AM   #2
ChuckS

you could do this with a powered tv signal splitter... use the already available 12 vdc lead going to the keytb module as source 12 vdc for the powered splitter... power to the OTA is done via the coax cable leading from splitter to antenna

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 10:34 AM   #3
ChuckS

https://www.trekwood.com/products/12...nal-Controller

Old 07-18-2020, 10:56 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

$171.00 ? Keystone is proud of that junk...I mean junction box.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 11:08 AM   #5
rjsurfer

Chuckster....good idea, thanks for the info.

I'd sooner go without TV than pay Key TV $174 for the poor quality board their supplying.

Ron W.
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 11:33 AM   #6
ChuckS

Sadly keystone has a great idea with dedicated single coax feeds to each TV set, Fm radio, and inputs for cable and Sat...

But over the last two years Ive seen many post with folks having issues.. either intermittent or never working...

I dont think enough BETA testing was done in the field under actual real world conditions... road vibration and heat appear to be the main culprit affecting a poorly assembled and tested main circuit board...

Old 07-19-2020, 11:07 AM   #7
purebred

I ended up buying a 20.00 amplified tv antenna at wallyworld and mounted it behind tv with splitter. It coupled with the 12 volt antenna on roof works great.
purebred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:07 AM   #8
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by purebred View Post
I ended up buying a 20.00 amplified tv antenna at wallyworld and mounted it behind tv with splitter. It coupled with the 12 volt antenna on roof works great.
You used a splitter for the black antena cable? What do you mean “it coupled”?
Old 07-22-2020, 11:25 AM   #9
purebred

My main tv in living room is where I attached a splitter with a amplified antenna from Walmart. I removed the key tv box and installed a 3 way splitter for my three tvs. Living room, bedroom and outside. I removed all the key tv splitters and went direct to each tv. I know I can't receive satellite but I don't care. when I use the Walmart brand antenna it's providing 12 volts to my roof mounted antenna and I am able to receive quite a few channels. Since moving to a different park with free cable I use the above setup with my bedroom and outside tv and watch just the cable tv on our living room. It works for us.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:55 PM   #10
Apalinto

Interesting reading the various problems and challenges. My Key TV is working well for both Park Cable and OTA in the bedroom and Living room, but not the outdoor TV. Very poor reception. I had never thought that it might actually be the Key TV Switch, I figured it was maybe a bad coax cable connection leading from the switch to the basement TV. Has anyone actually removed or opened up the KeyTV switch? I suppose I could swap the connections and see what happens. I just want everything to work properly. I would like to avoid paying for a new switch!
Bulletproof Powerstroke 6.0 Turbo Diesel
2019 Cougar 315 RLS
Apalinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:56 PM   #11
purebred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apalinto View Post
Interesting reading the various problems and challenges. My Key TV is working well for both Park Cable and OTA in the bedroom and Living room, but not the outdoor TV. Very poor reception. I had never thought that it might actually be the Key TV Switch, I figured it was maybe a bad coax cable connection leading from the switch to the basement TV. Has anyone actually removed or opened up the KeyTV switch? I suppose I could swap the connections and see what happens. I just want everything to work properly. I would like to avoid paying for a new switch!
Not sure i understand what you mean by Key TV Switch. It seems to me that you have a bad coax cable, loose connection or bad splitter at that connection point.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:35 PM   #12
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Sadly keystone has a great idea with dedicated single coax feeds to each TV set, Fm radio, and inputs for cable and Sat...

But over the last two years Ive seen many post with folks having issues.. either intermittent or never working...

I dont think enough BETA testing was done in the field under actual real world conditions... road vibration and heat appear to be the main culprit affecting a poorly assembled and tested main circuit board...

Errrrr, based on all the Key TV posts, I suspect the folks who bought trailers equipped with the same ARE the beta testers!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:58 PM   #13
Apalinto

Thanks Purebred. What I mean is that the KeyTV box in my convenience center is basically a distribution point for incoming signals and if this "switch" is defective, perhaps I take the outdoor TV coax and put it on the bedroom TV output. If the outdoor TV works, then my KeyTV unit has a problem. But if the problem persists, then it is more likely a bad coax run to the basement TV. Do you think that would be a good test?
2019 Cougar 315 RLS
Old 07-22-2020, 06:43 PM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apalinto View Post
Thanks Purebred. What I mean is that the KeyTV box in my convenience center is basically a distribution point for incoming signals and if this "switch" is defective, perhaps I take the outdoor TV coax and put it on the bedroom TV output. If the outdoor TV works, then my KeyTV unit has a problem. But if the problem persists, then it is more likely a bad coax run to the basement TV. Do you think that would be a good test?
It would if you knew the coax was good. We often use a “test coax” to rule them out, you may or may not have access to one, mine happens to be 25 ft so I can go through a window and across the trailer.

You can go to any big box home improvement store and purchase a coax tester cheap enough to test the coax too. You have a couple options to rule out the coax as the issue.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:17 PM   #15
Apalinto

That is good test idea chuckster57. Open the KeyTV, put a test cable on the outdoor TV output and see if the signal improves. I wish I could have better accessibility to real RV Park conditions to test this stuff out. Hate working on the rig when I should be relaxing! Ha ha!! Thanks for your help with my DometicToilet las week!
2019 Cougar 315 RLS
Old 07-23-2020, 03:18 AM   #16
ajlight

I had the same problem. Got a Winegard booster and installed it in place of the Key tv box and have not had a problem since.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:59 PM   #17
Laldrich

We have a 2019 fuzion 369. Came with a furrion antenna. Two fell off. There's a new recall on the furrion as of early July. The replacement is a winegard air 360+ We are traveling and the furrion fell off somewhere. Now we have just the pedestal and a hole. Waiting to hear back from keystone. We bought the winegard. Now we can't find anyone who has time to install it. Hubby was going to do it himself but the blue light on the keytv mssc is out. Checked and it has 12v power. We can't figure out the issue.
Laldrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:43 PM   #18
K_N_L

So if Keystone is running all the coax's back to 1 spot and not using splitters on the downstream run which is what it seems, that would be the best thing they have done compared to the way earlier setups are done. At least there you can redo or replace it with another switch or control what is connected. The off brand booster on ours died (was replaced for free btw which was nice) but it was up in the nose with runs and splitters every which way.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:27 PM   #19
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laldrich View Post
Now we have just the pedestal and a hole. Waiting to hear back from keystone. We bought the winegard. Now we can't find anyone who has time to install it. Hubby was going to do it himself but the blue light on the keytv mssc is out. Checked and it has 12v power. We can't figure out the issue.
It's quite possible it's unhappy without continuity to the antenna? Try unscrewing the antenna lead at the box and replacing it with a terminator (balun), see if the light comes on.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:01 PM   #20
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by purebred View Post
It coupled with the 12 volt antenna on roof works great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
What do you mean “it coupled”?
"It, coupled with the 12 volt antenna on roof, works great."

Commas can change everything.

"Let's eat, grandma!"
"Let's eat grandma!"