Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2021, 06:25 AM   #21
MCBadgett

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBadgett View Post
I know this thread is a year old, just wanted to say that I mounted my RDS with Jack Nuts. Makes removing the tank a 1 person job. I haven't taken the tank all the way out, but I have taken the bolts out to get to something I dropped behind the tank (I mounted my tank with too much room between tank and front bed wall). I decided to use jack nuts when removing the tank from my old truck (I'm gettin' too old to be climbing in the bed, then out and getting under the truck several times to do one job).
Yes, I'm right down the road from you. I searched online, and found a way to make a tool that worked, using a bolt, oversized nut and a knurled washer. It worked out great. I used Stainless Jack Nuts.
MCBadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 06:30 AM   #22
MCBadgett

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I've used nut certs on box frames but I wouldn't trust them in the relativly thin metal of a truck bed. If I were going to go that route I would have used some 1/8" plate under the bed to distribute the force over a larger area in the event of an accident.
I used Stainless Jack Nuts made for sheet metal.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:51 PM   #23
gearhead

Quote:
You get the jack bolts/nuts from Fastenal in Dayton?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 07:06 PM   #24
MCBadgett

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
You get the jack bolts/nuts from Fastenal in Dayton?
Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-02-2021, 05:01 AM   #25
gearhead

^Thanks. Put that and the friction wrench on my Amazon "wish list".
I might stop in Potez and see if he carries them.
Unrelated ...we just got back from a 3 week trip and saw that the city of Liberty finally trimmed the live oak branches above some of the streets. Jefferson, Travis, and Bowie are a bit safer for 5th wheels and motorhomes. It was getting to where I had to scout a route before I left with the 5th. Took a year of hounding the Public Works Director.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 09-04-2021, 08:53 AM   #26
hornet28

Quote:
They may be made for sheet metal but that doesn't mean they will take the force of a fuel tank pulling against them in an accident. As Flybouy said some thru bolts using plate to spread the load would hold up much better. As it is the jack nuts will just pull through with any real force. Just because it's easier doesn't make it the best way to go
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 06:41 PM   #27
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Oh the magic of the internet...up pops an ad for a underbody fuel tank from sbfilters. 60 gallon tank to replace the OEM 32 gallon. A bit over $1300.
https://www.sbfilters.com/fuel-tanks
I think you will be extremely happy with the 60 gallon tank..I have the factory 50 gallon tank in my truck and it’s the feature that impresses me the most about my new truck. We go multiple times a year to the ocean 150 miles from my house..I used to have to fill up for the return trip with my old truck ..now I have enough for getting there…driving around a few days or more…and enough to get home.

Every single time I drive the truck any distance at all it makes me happy
Old 09-05-2021, 04:51 AM   #28
gearhead

[QUOTE=jasin1;467113]I think you will be extremely happy with the 60 gallon tank..I have the factory 50 gallon tank in my truck and it’s the feature that impresses me the most about my new truck. We go multiple times a year to the ocean 150 miles from my house..I used to have to fill up for the return trip with my old truck ..now I have enough for getting there…driving around a few days or more…and enough to get home.

Every single time I drive the truck any distance at all it makes me happy[/QUOTE
I agree. I need to look closer at the tank and look under my truck to see if the tank will interfere with my cabover camper hold downs.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 09-05-2021, 04:58 AM   #29
jasin1

[QUOTE=gearhead;467137]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I think you will be extremely happy with the 60 gallon tank..I have the factory 50 gallon tank in my truck and it’s the feature that impresses me the most about my new truck. We go multiple times a year to the ocean 150 miles from my house..I used to have to fill up for the return trip with my old truck ..now I have enough for getting there…driving around a few days or more…and enough to get home.

Every single time I drive the truck any distance at all it makes me happy[/QUOTE
I agree. I need to look closer at the tank and look under my truck to see if the tank will interfere with my cabover camper hold downs.
It looks like the “distance till empty” is the only thing that won’t be calibrated with either the titan or the rds tank…(if you have a Ford I think they can calibrate)…I’d save the oem tank just in case you have problems or for whatever reason someone you sell it to would want it…I know that would be a pain but maybe shove it up in the rafters of a shed or storage building…I know you just had the disk brake conversion on your fifth wheel…this will be your next favorite thing

Tags
tank