Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2019, 07:06 PM   #1
Prhodes

2 Gray Tanks??

2020 Cougar half-ton 29rdb. Connect system shows two gray Tanks. Tank #2 never shows any water in it? Tank #1 did over flow today and leaked underneath the camper. So does this model have two tanks? I'm confused.
Prhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:08 PM   #2
Prhodes

I let tank #1 go over to see if #2 would start filling. Negative. It leaked in the storage compartment below the bedroom in front. Grrrrrr!! Should it have even leaked out?
Old 09-23-2019, 07:29 PM   #3
Logan X

A lot of the time, when you have two gray tanks, one is for the kitchen and the other is for the bathroom. They are usually not connected but two completely separate tanks. Do you have two gray valves at the sewer outlet?
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:41 AM   #4
RWRiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
A lot of the time, when you have two gray tanks, one is for the kitchen and the other is for the bathroom. They are usually not connected but two completely separate tanks. Do you have two gray valves at the sewer outlet?
Or do you possibly have 2 sewer outlets ? I have 2 grey tanks (1 for bath, 1 for kitchen), and I have to switch the sewer hose when I dump. One is just in front of the axles, and the other (Rear Kitchen) is near the back bumper.
RWRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:12 AM   #5
ken56

I don't think a tank should leak at all. When my bathroom grey tank is full it will back up into the shower pan not leak into the belly of the trailer. You need to have this looked at.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:08 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prhodes View Post
I let tank #1 go over to see if #2 would start filling. Negative. It leaked in the storage compartment below the bedroom in front. Grrrrrr!! Should it have even leaked out?
No it should not have "leaked out". Are you sure it didn't back up into the shower pan or washer drain and overflow? Check your floors in that area for moisture. If that's not the case, then something failed. Either a pipe dislodged or the tank split.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:47 AM   #7
Prhodes

LoganX In command screen shows two gray Tanks. I've been camping for two weeks and it has yet to show water in tank #2. I have only found one gray dump valve. My son said water was backed up in shower drain so I knew #1 was full. That water did not come over into the bathroom but did leak out into the front compartment. The dealer stated I had two tanks in the walk through. Not sure that's true.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:08 AM   #8
Prhodes

#2 tank flush lever is by the tires. Thanks for that information. I still think tank #1 has an issue. It never should've leaked when it was full.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:08 AM   #9
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
LoganX In command screen shows two gray Tanks. I've been camping for two weeks and it has yet to show water in tank #2. I have only found one gray dump valve. My son said water was backed up in shower drain so I knew #1 was full. That water did not come over into the bathroom but did leak out into the front compartment. The dealer stated I had two tanks in the walk through. Not sure that's true.
Per your specs you have 60 gallons of grey tank, 2x30 gallon tanks. As stated, get a flashlight and crawl under and start looking. It's there somewhere. The handle may have fallen off, so look for a rod as well.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:44 AM   #10
Prhodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
No it should not have "leaked out". Are you sure it didn't back up into the shower pan or washer drain and overflow? Check your floors in that area for moisture. If that's not the case, then something failed. Either a pipe dislodged or the tank split.
Dealer stated the leaking was ok. I don't think that's correct. He said it back flows into the venting area and bleeds out. I've never heard of such a thing. Anyone here think that's correct?
Old 09-24-2019, 11:49 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

My question is who at the dealer told you this? Would they accept this? No it's not correct in my opinion. To me that's like saying it's o.k. if the roof leaks, it only does it when it rains.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:56 AM   #12
Prhodes

The head shop mechanic. I don't believe he knows what he's talking about. I've decided to remove the panel in the front storage and fill the tank. see where it's coming from. There is no way the manufacturer would want this to be released in the front storage area. I mean seriously?? This unit is two weeks old. Pulled 6 miles from the dealer and set. We're currently residing in it until our home is completed.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:07 PM   #13
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
The head shop mechanic. I don't believe he knows what he's talking about. I've decided to remove the panel in the front storage and fill the tank. see where it's coming from. There is no way the manufacturer would want this to be released in the front storage area. I mean seriously?? This unit is two weeks old. Pulled 6 miles from the dealer and set. We're currently residing in it until our home is completed.
Head shop mechanic. Reminds me of my '70's days and sums up your dealings with them. Nice.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:30 PM   #14
travelin texans

Quote:
Dealer stated the leaking was ok. I don't think that's correct. He said it back flows into the venting area and bleeds out. I've never heard of such a thing. Anyone here think that's correct?
That is correct it you don't want to/to lazy to do the warranty work! Otherwise it's a load of crap & they'd be fixing the problem.
I wouldn't tear into it too much for rear of voiding the warranty & giving the head shop mechanic another excuse to not do the work.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:25 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

I agree; the leak you have is not correct or "bleeding off". The lead tech is "leading" you down the primrose path. They need to take it back and fix it. It could be a lot of things. Just had mine repaired (5 years old) and they found self tapping screws had been left on the top of the galley gray tank during construction. They eventually ate through the top of the holding tank and caused it to leak when it got close to full or when it was moved with liquid in it. Don't ask, tell the dealer to fix it.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:53 PM   #16
Prhodes

Thanks for the information!! I'm new to owning a camper. Headed back to dealer tomorrow and asking the owner about the situation. They will need to come to me as this is my home at the moment until my real house is being constructed. Appreciate the help guys!
Old 09-25-2019, 05:05 AM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Your best friend will be documenting what happens. Use email/text. VS verbal communications. When you do call, or they call you, follow up with an email or text reiterating what was said. Anyone can deny a verbal exchange and you are left with a "he said they said" situation.
A constant "shampoo, rinse and repeat" will destroy your temporary living quarters.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:18 PM   #18
Prhodes

Below is a response I received from Keystone Customer Service. I did find the shower drain pipe fitting was loose and leaking into the front storage compartment. That was probably the issue. My dealer didn't seem to inspect the unit very well before it was delivered. that's the 3rd water leak I have found. But anyway, read the response below from Keystone. HMMMMM!!!!

Thank you for contacting Keystone RV. As a clarification, if a tank gets overfilled, it will leak out and depending where the overflow is located, it is possible that it can get into the front storage compartment. We recommend emptying the tank a little more regularly and not allowing them to get completely full. Let me know if you have additional questions. Have a great weekend!
Old 09-27-2019, 12:51 PM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Below is a response I received from Keystone Customer Service. I did find the shower drain pipe fitting was loose and leaking into the front storage compartment. That was probably the issue. My dealer didn't seem to inspect the unit very well before it was delivered. that's the 3rd water leak I have found. But anyway, read the response below from Keystone. HMMMMM!!!!

Thank you for contacting Keystone RV. As a clarification, if a tank gets overfilled, it will leak out and depending where the overflow is located, it is possible that it can get into the front storage compartment. We recommend emptying the tank a little more regularly and not allowing them to get completely full. Let me know if you have additional questions. Have a great weekend!
Certainly built to a different standard than my 2014 Cougar. This is unsanitary and likely to be a health hazard, depending on what's in the "gray tank waste water". Additionally, there is NO "overflow" on any gray or black water tank. There is a "VENT" to aid in filling/emptying (which terminates on the roof of the RV), but no overflow. The only "overflow" in any tank is the fresh water overflow. That "spills to the outside" and won't (if it's properly installed) allow water to contact any of the trailer interior framework.

IMHO, if it leaks it's not right and needs to be repaired so it doesn't leak.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:29 AM   #20
LV_Tom

My 2011 27' RLSWE Cougar has two grey (Gray) water tanks. The kitchen tank empty valve is located behind the drivers side rear tire which is made inaccessable when the slide is out forcing me to crawl on my belly like a reptile to drain it when we're in a long term camping situation. This drain line feeds into the common drain hose connection..... So I put in a secondary drain valve closer to the bath grey water and black water drain levers. Doing this I now leave the factory kitchen drain valve open all of the time and I can conveniently drain all three tanks from the central location without being a 70 YO contortionist ... Mo Betta...

2017 F-250 Crew Cab
2011 Cougar 27RLSWE
LV_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank