Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2018, 02:49 PM   #41
notanlines

I thought I might bring this up to put tears in your eyes. This is from the website of Canoe Bay located just east of Chetek, Wisconsin. And I can assure you it is beautiful country. Would you like to try a tiny house for a few nights?
"ESCAPE tiny houses
$398 / night
—A unique design that rates its very own website—

•A pair of cozy, stand-alone tiny houses (400 sq.ft. interior space) on a rise amidst the trees, each with long view to the lake
•Vaulted ceilings, hardwood floors, living/dining room, wet bar & fireplace
•Large screened porch for lounging & napping
•Bedroom with Queen Bed
•Bathroom featuring walk-in tiled shower, separate toilet room and heated floor. (No Whirlpool Tub)"

Just thought I might ask....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:17 PM   #42
66joej

This is not meant to be a political statement. Read an article today about Vets. In Calgary Alberta the provincial govt. is putting up about 20 Tiny Homes for homeless Vets as an experiment to help these sometimes forgotten people.
The plan is to form a sort of village with a central clubhouse. Seems like a good idea to give some independence and help where it is needed. And totally govt. funded.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:24 PM   #43
cookinwitdiesel

As an affordable housing idea I think they are great, as a replacement for a TT, I think they are not. That being said, the ones shown on TV are built much heavier than they need to be for the essentials in the name of luxury and retaining the "feel" of a full-size home in fit and finishes.
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:55 PM   #44
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
As an affordable housing idea I think they are great, as a replacement for a TT, I think they are not. That being said, the ones shown on TV are built much heavier than they need to be for the essentials in the name of luxury and retaining the "feel" of a full-size home in fit and finishes.

I agree with this from what I've seen. They way they are built are 1) way overweight and 2) tiny. Not for me.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:13 PM   #45
ann condie

I get frustrated watching these shows. I think of my trailer (38' 5th wheel) and wonder why they would bother to find secret storage spaces, and tiny tubs, and tiny kitchens. Mine has "arctic insulation". Although I wouldn't camp in winter in Canada, it remains quite toasty in the fall when the temperature hovers around zero (Celsius) with just the electric fireplace. And it has 4 tipouts - more than more than most tiny houses. Lots of room for the dogs to lay.
ann condie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:10 AM   #46
flybouy
Site Team

I think that a lot of people perhaps confuse "reality tv show" with Documentary television. Reality shows are anything but, much like a movie "based on a real story". Both are basically for entertainment and selling products. Folks do purchase things they see on television. Some stores even devote a section of shelf space for "as seen on tv" products. Obviously it's up to the individual if it's in their best interest to purchase.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 02:06 PM   #47
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I just saw this. Hmmmmmmm.....https://www.businessinsider.com/phot...uddev-test8877

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:03 PM   #48
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I think that a lot of people perhaps confuse "reality tv show" with Documentary television. Reality shows are anything but, much like a movie "based on a real story". Both are basically for entertainment and selling products. Folks do purchase things they see on television. Some stores even devote a section of shelf space for "as seen on tv" products. Obviously it's up to the individual if it's in their best interest to purchase.
One Reality tv show moved to Washington to poor reviews.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:53 PM   #49
flybouy
Site Team

Those "Tiny Houses" are really affordable!I had no idea. https://www.wayfair.com/home/hd0/gin...SABEgKXa_D_BwE
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:43 AM   #50
mikell

We have a 40' 5th wheel on private property for a cabin 80 acres. A 26' class C to travel in and will be downsizing to a 16 x 36 Amish barn turned into a house for winter living. Will have about $15k into it. It's on 20 acres of trees and the township doesn't have any rules other than i can't put a sewer in so I went to the 100 gallon tank and RV type sewer pump to pump into a trailer to take to a campground about 3 miles away. We also have a well and a 40 x 100 pole barn that we could have put the 5th wheel in but chose to be outside. $15k for a sewer system was crazy talk but that was the going rate. RV type hookups the township didn't want to talk about so I went forward without asking a second time.

The house will be selling in the spring and that will be that.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:38 AM   #51
JRTJH
Site Team

Around this part of Michigan, the "homeowner associations" have all of the newer subdivisions "locked up" to prevent mobile homes, campers and mini-houses from being placed in their area of control. That includes almost all of the RR (rural recreational) property, whether it's half acre lots or 120 acre plats of land. If it's zoned RR and in Otsego county, it's restricted. The townships and the county building codes, for the most part, don't prohibit "mini-houses" by definition, but in Otsego County, the minimum house size "for permanent footing" must be 720 sqft. The county further restricts all trailers as "temporary dwellings" which must maintain the ability to be moved on their own axles, within a 30 minute notice. So, no "Amish barns", no "storage sheds turned into cabins", no "building a roof over a travel trailer and adding a patio to the side" or no "parking a fifth wheel and putting it on blocks and removing the axles"...

Sure, there are people who do it all the time. There are a couple of "free camping squatters" in the Pigeon River State Forest out where I hunt that have been in the same location since last March. Rules say, maximum of 2 weeks and the "self documented permit" must be displayed at the camp. Those "campers" have simply taken down the old permit, filled out a new permit with current dates, posted it and declared that it's a "new campsite" because the permit is new..... It's obvious they've been there the entire time, brick/stone fire pits, buried field lines to dispose of waste, well worn paths around the camp and several cords of firewood split and stacked.....

For the most part, around here, the "legal" requirements prohibit camping, even on your own property, on a permanent basis, living on your own property requires a minimum 720 sqft building, which eliminates all "mini-houses" and almost all single wide mobile homes and all "storage shed type cabins".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote