Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2017, 03:07 PM   #1
earlzach

On my Soap Box! Need to vent!!

Ok, so today after almost 2 months I get the call my tags and registration are in! Yeah!! Like that didn't take long enough.
2 hours later a call from CW service and says he would like to schedule me to bring in the trailer for warranty and "we owe" work. Great!
So ask when should I bring it, Service manager says "any day this week works". Great! Did you guys finally get the parts in? SM, " Well no, we need to have the trailer for a look over so that Keystone will honor the work, its standard protocol".
I said this stuff was noted on my walk through, I have stopped by 3 times and spoke to several people each time being told this crap and that crap. Not one time was I ever told I needed to bring it for a looking over!
SM, " If you have spoke to 3 people who was it"? I said first off it was documented on my New buyer walk through and written up as a "We Owe"!
Second I came back and spoke with service rep "Dave" A black man who assured me the stuff was being taken care of no problem" This is when The SM cut me off and said " Dave is no longer with us so we wouldn't know you spoke with him". I said, I've been back since and spoke with Eric, he told me about Dave and that he was now in charge of getting the files together!!! So I got everything straight with him, once again assured Ill be fine!!
Then a couple days ago I called and spoke with Eric on the phone, He said he would get this set up with you!! NOT ONE FRIGGIN TIME WAS I EVER TOLD I NEED TO CART MY TT ALL OVER THE PLACE TO LOOK AGAIN AT WHAT WAS DOCUMENTED!!!!!
He said " You know what, I can tell your getting upset and starting to raise your voice. Just bring it in on Wednesday and pick it up after you get off work on Thursday. I will just order the parks and get you out of here.
Real friggin respectful.
Camping World Was a mistake to use to get the trailer I wanted!!!
Old 11-06-2017, 03:58 PM   #2
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlzach View Post
...Service manager says "any day this week works". Great! Did you guys finally get the parts in? SM, " Well no, we need to have the trailer for a look over so that Keystone will honor the work, its standard protocol"...
Yeah, I was not impressed with the local CW service dept. They didn't even notice the caved in roof on the camper they tried to deliver us. I think the "standard protocol" must just be theirs. We went elsewhere. My dealership ordered my oven door and bunk mattress without seeing the trailer again. It just sounds like they are either lazy or waiting you out.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:18 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

It sounds to me like you are getting the run around, or they don't know what they are doing. My CW dealership did a great job of identifying the problems with the RV pre delivery and then on the PDI correcting them before I took it. On the other occasions they looked it over, found the problem, ordered the parts and fixed it. There has never been a return "look over" - not only is it redundant and a waste of everyone's time (if in fact they actually did their job the first time in documentation for submission to Keystone - which it sounds like they didn't) it is just silly to think they can impose like that on an owner....we actually have things to do.
Heck, I've even had the dealer and Keystone sign off on warranty work from pictures I submitted.

Sounds like it's time for a drive to the dealership and a face to face sit down with the service manager and GM. Call the dealership and ask for the GM by name. Make an appointment to see him about an ongoing problem on a new RV sale and tell him you want the service manager there. Be professional and respectful but lay out your expectations for what they need to do, how they need to do it and when. Don't take no for an answer and have your ducks in a row with your documentation of problems and conversations. I would take particular umbrage with the SMs statement about the advisor leaving so they now didn't know if you talked to him or not.....essentially calling you a liar or, at the very least, doubting your truthfulness. Unacceptable.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:31 PM   #4
earlzach

Sour, I'm going in to see him specifically. I half him to be there when I bring it up. There is no reason any longer to speak with anyone else. I asked him, " who are you questioning"? He said I can tell your getting loud and upset, just bring it in and well get you on your way! Still sounded disrespectful. He offered a free winterizing, I said no way, that's nice to offer but I'll handle it. I am losing confidence in CW.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:44 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Good. When CW bought out the existing private dealership where I bought mine there was a lot of confusion and new people. For the first 2 years I dealt only with the GM because of the BS I was getting from all the others as they adjusted to their new roles. They (I went thru 2 of them) were very gracious and helpful. They worked with the service manager etc. I worked with the SM only if I was told to call him by the GM. In the end, after numerous sit downs, phone calls and emails we all got on the same page. I don't have issues any longer. When the old SM moved and a new one came in from CA I sent the new one an email advising who I was, how I operated and set an appt. for me, him and the GM. We are on great terms and things get done the way I want. Just work on them and take the time to explain your expectations. Be sure you understand how the game between you, the dealership and CW works and who does what or you will only be further upset and won't have good success. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:16 PM   #6
Ken / Claudia

With the current trailer, during the PDI I found several things needing repair a work order was written up and noted on the purchase order. I took it home. About 2 weeks later I got a phone call that the parts were in and made an appointment to take it back for repair. They said 2 days for repair, on 2nd day I got the phone call it was done. Next day we both went over the repairs and fixes before I brought it home. So, it can work out OK.
But, I need to ask why are they wanting you to take it all over the place, instead of taking it back to the dealer?
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 02:49 AM   #7
earlzach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
With the current trailer, during the PDI I found several things needing repair a work order was written up and noted on the purchase order. I took it home. About 2 weeks later I got a phone call that the parts were in and made an appointment to take it back for repair. They said 2 days for repair, on 2nd day I got the phone call it was done. Next day we both went over the repairs and fixes before I brought it home. So, it can work out OK.
But, I need to ask why are they wanting you to take it all over the place, instead of taking it back to the dealer?
The all over the place refers to, They documented the WE owe items at walk through, Never heard from them again, I attempted 3 to 4 times to find out where I stand in getting repaired. Then I was finally turned to the SM who said they are ready, But not to fix it. For me to bring the trailer back to them so they can see the "All ready" documented WE owe items so they can discuss with Keystone on warranty work. Its a 2018 keep in mind.
I didn't understand why I had to drag the trailer back up there for a new evaluation then wait for parts and bring it back again for the work. I was NOT going to leave it for 'a week or two" depending on how long it takes them to get the items. So this would require me to bring it back home then back again!!! Not one time did anyone ever tell me I would be bringing it back up to be "Looked" at. So do to my tone the SM said just bring it up Wednesday and it will be done Thursday!! Why did it have to come to that?
What got me stirring is when he asked me to name the three times I was there as if I never really came and said a word.
I don't know how all camping worlds are but this one has every square foot of there ground covered in RV's and tt's. There is very little room for them to be "storing" a trailer safely. And trust me, this is the second one we looked at do to the first Passport on their lot was ruined by the door of the TT it was parked next to was hitting the slide out while people were walking through it. That is why this one was brought from another Dealer for us. I haven't had the best of anything but the price out of this dealership. 2 months and 2 temp tags and my registration work just got done yesterday!!! My bank sent me a notice they were still waiting on the title!! CW told me 3 to 4 weeks ago a statement was sent to my back letting them know they were behind on the registration because they lost the MSO from the factory to make a title!! Now I doubt this was true. Plus any time you call and ask where so an so is it never fails, he / she is on vacation!! I was like, I just spoke with them yesterday, they said they would call me back!!! This is getting very old!!!! I just want my "deal done"!!
Old 11-07-2017, 03:19 AM   #8
notanlines

David, this is going to sound like I am laying the blame on this at your feet. Honestly I don't mean it that way, but I do think you need to share some responsibility in your overall experience. I spent 90 seconds online searching for reviews on the Camping World in Swedesboro, NJ. There are NINE reviews on YELP and every single one of them is a one star. Might I ask what made you think your experience with them would be any different? https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=us
In looking back on your post history I can't find where you have written anything positive about this experience nor about your RV. You have gotten good advice above; from members with years of RV experience AND business experience in general. Make every effort to turn this situation around, face to face with these people. We are all looking forward to seeing you post pictures of your outings and talking about burned hot dogs by the campfire. (Yes, and a couple adult beverages)
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:28 AM   #9
earlzach

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
David, this is going to sound like I am laying the blame on this at your feet. Honestly I don't mean it that way, but I do think you need to share some responsibility in your overall experience. I spent 90 seconds online searching for reviews on the Camping World in Swedesboro, NJ. There are NINE reviews on YELP and every single one of them is a one star. Might I ask what made you think your experience with them would be any different? https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=us
In looking back on your post history I can't find where you have written anything positive about this experience nor about your RV. You have gotten good advice above; from members with years of RV experience AND business experience in general. Make every effort to turn this situation around, face to face with these people. We are all looking forward to seeing you post pictures of your outings and talking about burned hot dogs by the campfire. (Yes, and a couple adult beverages)
The only thing so far that was good is the price and the trade value they gave me for mine. I saw some of the reviews but felt like " you can't please everyone" so I rolled the dice. Trust me they sell way more trailers than they have of complaints. I took a chance. It was the trailer I wanted and there were no other 2018 2810bh in granite around.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2017, 09:46 AM   #10
Tbos

Hope it gets worked out soon for you. Do you can enjoy it some more.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:42 AM   #11
mlk1950

From hear on out, if I were in your shoes, I'd record every conversation and meeting you have with them.
mlk1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:47 PM   #12
earlzach

Just left camping world. I picked up my way over due tags and registration card.
I walked over to service and asked for the SM by name and was directed to him.
I asked him how was that we got off to such a bad start when Ive never spoken to him before. He of course seemed to have failed to recall the phone call. At first".
I proceeded to let him know I was not at all amused by his idea to stick a protocol when I made it clear we were far beyond evaluation. Then I let him know I was a really taken back when he insinuated that I was lying about my 3 to 4 times trying to get this done. He stopped me and said "I never called you a liar"! I said it was nothing short of it when you asked me to tell you when I was ever there and who I really spoke with. I said this sure came off to me as an insinuation that I was exaggerating my visits and inquiries to getting my service done!!
Then you went back to your protocol on bring the trailer to be evaluated then parts then repair. I made it clear this was all documented at my walk through and the next day!! I have been told over an over, "Parts are ordered"!
I don't care if I repeated myself three times, I would have repeated 6 times if you were going to stay course on your "Protocol".
I said I would like to reset, and get off on the right foot. This is the first encounter you and I have had and unfortunately you have guide lines and I am at the end of my rope.
So we shook hands and agreed that my trailer will come in for the services and repairs needed without a new evaluation. This will (or should) be done Thursday! Ill keep you all informed.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:50 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlzach View Post
Just left camping world. I picked up my way over due tags and registration card.
I walked over to service and asked for the SM by name and was directed to him.
I asked him how was that we got off to such a bad start when Ive never spoken to him before. He of course seemed to have failed to recall the phone call. At first".
I proceeded to let him know I was not at all amused by his idea to stick a protocol when I made it clear we were far beyond evaluation. Then I let him know I was a really taken back when he insinuated that I was lying about my 3 to 4 times trying to get this done. He stopped me and said "I never called you a liar"! I said it was nothing short of it when you asked me to tell you when I was ever there and who I really spoke with. I said this sure came off to me as an insinuation that I was exaggerating my visits and inquiries to getting my service done!!
Then you went back to your protocol on bring the trailer to be evaluated then parts then repair. I made it clear this was all documented at my walk through and the next day!! I have been told over an over, "Parts are ordered"!
I don't care if I repeated myself three times, I would have repeated 6 times if you were going to stay course on your "Protocol".
I said I would like to reset, and get off on the right foot. This is the first encounter you and I have had and unfortunately you have guide lines and I am at the end of my rope.
So we shook hands and agreed that my trailer will come in for the services and repairs needed without a new evaluation. This will (or should) be done Thursday! Ill keep you all informed.
I would urge you to involve the GM of the dealership to get things on an even keel going forward. It sounds from your post that his response would not have passed muster for me. If the GM is worth his salt he will want to know of the shenanigans happening in the service dept.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:11 PM   #14
earlzach

Have to say it took a while but above and beyond.
CW. Took care of my " we owe" items today. The new vent in the kitchen area was covered in sloppy glue as well as the one I complaned about. So they went off the shelf and gave me a very nice new one. Let tell you the one they put in is hands down much nicer do to it doesn't look like a fan delete roof vent. It has a nice metal hand crank in white and a trimless screen. It just looks very tasteful for the living / kitchen area.
To say the very least we are pleased with the work that was done.

Old 11-09-2017, 03:00 PM   #15
Pull Toy

Sorry...

Not to throw gasoline on the fire, but from all of the negative PR regarding CW, and my own personal past experiences (I won't go there), I wouldn't buy anything more technology challenging than a wheel chock from them!

They will promise you the world (commission driven sales), and once they own you.... "THEY OWN YOU!!!"

Put the word out, and let us hear "THE REST OF THE STORY!"

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:10 PM   #16
weaselz

Camping World customer service has fallen. I've experienced it.
weaselz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:57 PM   #17
vampress_me

You know, all the horror stories I've read over the past few years about Camping World had me slightly scared this spring. Our dealer, that we had bought our 5'er from in 2014, was sold to Camping World in the late fall of 2016. The main slide had developed a weird squeal when extending it only. And you could only hear it from inside. Really weird to me. Put it away for the winter knowing I would call them the next spring to fix before we ever took it anywhere. Beginning of April, call them, make appt for the day I bring it out of storage. 2 weeks later, pull it out of storage, take to 'new' CW, and drop it. Left there worried about how much new gear or whatever was going to cost for the slideout (since they and I both thought that sounded likely) and expected it to be there for a few weeks to diagnose, fix, etc due to them being busy and the stories I have heard. Next day got a phone call they were done with it, to come and get it when I had time. They had greased the bearings and did a slight adjustment and that was all that was needed.

Summer of 2015 or 16 had the other CW by us put the new A/C on the roof, they did great job. Friendly people in the whole service department in both stores.

Maybe we are luckily in our 2 CW's (Rogers and Monticello) with having great people working there. But I won't hesitate to use either one again, or stop at one on the road if we need to.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:14 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
You know, all the horror stories I've read over the past few years about Camping World had me slightly scared this spring. Our dealer, that we had bought our 5'er from in 2014, was sold to Camping World in the late fall of 2016. The main slide had developed a weird squeal when extending it only. And you could only hear it from inside. Really weird to me. Put it away for the winter knowing I would call them the next spring to fix before we ever took it anywhere. Beginning of April, call them, make appt for the day I bring it out of storage. 2 weeks later, pull it out of storage, take to 'new' CW, and drop it. Left there worried about how much new gear or whatever was going to cost for the slideout (since they and I both thought that sounded likely) and expected it to be there for a few weeks to diagnose, fix, etc due to them being busy and the stories I have heard. Next day got a phone call they were done with it, to come and get it when I had time. They had greased the bearings and did a slight adjustment and that was all that was needed.

Summer of 2015 or 16 had the other CW by us put the new A/C on the roof, they did great job. Friendly people in the whole service department in both stores.

Maybe we are luckily in our 2 CW's (Rogers and Monticello) with having great people working there. But I won't hesitate to use either one again, or stop at one on the road if we need to.

Other than the remarks by Marcus Lemonis I have had excellent results with CW. After buying my 2014 at CW, while they were in the transition of buying out a private dealership, I DID have issues with the sales manager (gone in a month) and the GM (prior owner; gone in 2 months). Since then I have had great relationships with that dealership and have had great responses from every CW I've been to. Maybe it's just my "type A" personality aura that projects itself.....
Old 11-10-2017, 10:30 AM   #19
Ken / Claudia

Ok, I got it CW was not telling you to "Cart your RV all over the place". As you printed, just back to them. But, I would not be happy either. It should have been taken care of once and on time. Return trips and leaving it there for extended time is bad business. Maybe the guy you dealt with the 1st time was the fake and never was going to help you. Sounds like they may be doing better now.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:49 AM   #20
earlzach

I should have said " back and fourth twice for something that was documented at my walk through. " Yes they had a week in the begining to fix these things noted at the walk through and said all was ordered. Then 2 months later asked to bring back for eval, then again for repair. I was not having it. The evaluation was done at the time of purchase.

Tags
vent