Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2015, 07:03 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

When you remove the outside vent cover, you can "peek around" some, but to really see what's there, you'll need a mirror and flash light. It's not "impossible" to get to, but skinny arms and good flexibility go a long way toward being able to reroute the drain hose without having to remove the refrigerator.

Take off the outside vent, use your vacuum cleaner to get the dust, dirt, cobwebs and sawdust out of the space, then explore. You won't hurt anything back there if you're careful and you'll learn much about your refrigerator by exploring.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:56 AM   #22
{tpc}

Thank you John, I appreciate the guidance. I actually have a flexible mirror and small flashlight (actually have it attached to the mirror) for something I was doing with my truck. So should be able to peek around and see tonight.

Was considering cancelling camping this weekend due to weather but have since changed my mind!
Old 05-14-2015, 11:06 AM   #23
ftrupe

John:

Thanks for the reply. The end plug was replaced and I'll keep an eye on the hose. I guess to change it, the refrigerator has to come back out. Hopefully not until the next year or two.

Ftrupe
ftrupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:13 AM   #24
{tpc}

Well I took a look at mine this weekend. The hose wasn't coiled up but hwen I played with it a little bit, some water came out.

So after the trip this weekend I cleaned out the fridge, but didn't put the paper towel down like I used to. As I went to take the trailer back to storage, I see water on the ground...I go over to investigate cause I thought might have been from underneath...nope...was already coming out of the hose.

The only fridge issue I had was getting it to light on propane. Didn't seem to want to at first but I think it was because I only had one tank on at the time, and the tank was empty. Eventually I corrected it and it fired up on the gas.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:36 AM   #25
ftrupe

Update to 5/14/2015 Post on Refrigerator Reimbursement

The camping season ended and I sent the $217 refrigerator repair bill to the dealer, Ballantyne RV in Syracuse NY. Within 1 day, Stefanie worked with Dometic, and I was notified that I would receive a check for $117. Dometic would not cover the service call, which I knew. I asked Stefanie if Ballantyne would pay the $100 balance since if a proper PDI were performed by Ballantyne, the defect would have been repaired prior to my taking delivery. She said she only works with warranties, but would send the request to management. After not hearing from management for a week, I asked Stefanie who I should contact, and was given the name Greg Jones. I e-mailed him and then received a response. Here is his e-mail:

"I have reviewed the e-mails that have been forwarded, In an Rv, just like a home , it is filled with appliances from many maunufacturers, all with their seperate warranties, We as a service center are required to follow each one when performing warranty service in order to be reimbursed for our work on their appliance. You the consumer need to be aware of their rules also. Dometic does not pay for service calls as a travel trailer is towable. You should have been advised of this by the service center. Testing the refrigerator is part of pur PDI process as it is prior to Dometic selling it to the the trailer manufacturer. If we had broken the refrigerator then this conversation would be a bit different. All repairs to the fridge have been reimbursed by the company who built it and warrantied it. The Service call you asked for is not covered and was never authorized, therefore it will not be reimbursed"

Below is my response, which was also copied to the President and Sales Manager of Ballantyne:

"I understand that all the appliances have their own rules and separate warranties. I was also aware that the service call was not reimbursable from Dometic, which is why the request for the balance from Ballantyne. Perhaps my issue is not with Ballantyne's service department per se, but the Dealership. One could argue that I was sold a defective trailer. Had the refrigerator been checked, as it should have been, and repaired as it should have been, this conversation wouldn't even exist, and I would not be out $100. Not to mention the aggravation. Two weeks before a planned trip, the trailer is de-winterized, and the refrigerator does not work--on a brand new, never used trailer! Try to bring it to a dealership in May, especially if it wasn't purchased there. Good luck.

RV dealers rely on "word of mouth" recommendations. This is a very poor business decision."

I have not heard back, and don't expect to. Based on my experience, I would highly recommend that any PDI done by the customer include requiring the freezer to make ice and having a dish of water in the frig and then check the temperature with a thermometer.

Kudos to Stefanie; I received my check from Dometic about 10 days later!
ftrupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:22 PM   #26
Ken / Claudia

That's to bad the dealer would not step up and do the right thing. By paying the 100 everyone would be happy and you would talk of how good they were. I understand they do not want to pay or maybe do not have to but, the right thing would be to pay it and move on. For 100 bucks they likely lost you as a future buyer.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote