Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2014, 07:46 AM   #1
lifecamper

Need a quick answer

I have a 2007 Springdale 5th wheel model 279. I can't find my owners manual. The breaker panel has a 15 A breaker marked GEN. Is that a cut off for the charger? I do not have a factory generator so I am assuming. We all know what assume can do. so I need a definite answer and believe someone on here will know.Thanks in advance
lifecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:56 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

On my 2010 Springdale 242 and also on my Cougar 27RKS the "GEN" circuit breaker controls the converter/charger. So the "quick answer" is yes.

To check for sure, pull a fuse on your 12 VDC panel, a red LED should light to indicate a "blown fuse". Turn that C/B off and the light should go out if power to the converter (and the battery) are removed. Removing battery power, depending on the circuit you pull the fuse from, can be done with the battery cutoff switch.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:31 PM   #3
lifecamper

Here's what happened

What I am trying to accomplish is to turn off the charger when I use my new inverter. I have been told that leaving it connected while using the inverter will complicate things. So, when I say the GEN breaker I thought this might accomplish the disconnect of the charger. When I flipped the GEN breaker the TV went off. It did not effect the 12V systems at all. So I figure I will have to find the hot wire to the charger and put a disconnect in line there. I can't help but wonder why only one 120V circuit was effected. It must just simply be a breaker for that circuit.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:17 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

I may be wrong but the charger/converter should not be doing anything when not connected to shore power. Unless you are powering everything with your inverter it should not matter. Check the back of the breaker ... it is probably double tapped and feeding two circuits .... the converter and some recepticals. Replace with a piggyback breaker to separate the two lines. My breaker was marked "CON/RECPT". JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:18 PM   #5
lifecamper

I'll get some time and pull the panel to see if the breaker is double taped. If so I have room for 4 more breakers. Yes I am plugging the inverter into my shore power line so the charger would sense the drop in battery power and try to charge the batteries. I'm told this could cause a problem so will figure a way to disconnect the charger when the inverter is in use.