Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
JoLee

New member looking at a Cougar HC 299rks

Hi All... new to the forum.. we are looking at replacing our Keystone Outback 5th wheel with a 2013 Cougar HC 299rks. Looks nice to us, but does anyone have any feeback on this unit? Thanks...
JoLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:39 AM   #2
ExTowerClimber

We got ours this Feb and so far we love it. The wife raves about the storage and counter space in the kitchen, the fit and finish seems good so far. We've been out 3 times so far this year and have to run both the furnace and the AC with no problems.

I did have to move the furnace ducts around so that the one to the bedroom was in-line with the fan and blocked off 1/2 of the one in the kitchen cabinet. Seems like more even heat now.

One thing I didn't like was the power cord wasn't detachable, but that was an easy fix. Didn't want the scrappers to cut my cord like they did to some others last year.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:23 AM   #3
GaryWT

Hi, welcome to the forum. Took a look, it looks real nice. Will never understand why RV Mfg never give any elbow room at the toilet but other than that enjoy it. Have a great season.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:31 AM   #4
Lost

From Michigan
Old 05-20-2013, 06:17 AM   #5
JoLee

Thanks for responding. One question, what did you do to make the power cord detachable? We haven't been in a 299rks yet...does it feel roomy with one slide in the living area? Thanks...JoLee
Old 05-20-2013, 06:30 AM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

We did the same thing to our power cord by replacing it with a Marinco power cord conversion kit. These kits are available at many RV suppliers, including CW and come in both 30A and 50A sizes. I got tired of the fixed cord somehow tangling itself into a knot while sitting inside its little storage area. No more mysterious knots and tangles!
Old 05-21-2013, 05:37 AM   #7
ExTowerClimber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLee View Post
Thanks for responding. One question, what did you do to make the power cord detachable? We haven't been in a 299rks yet...does it feel roomy with one slide in the living area? Thanks...JoLee
We think it does. It's just the wife and I and it's roomy enough for me to use a recliner and her to walk around without bumping into it.

I used a Marinco power cord conversion kit from CW to make the cord detachable as on the first trip I had to remove the access panel to get the big knot out of the cord.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
mijones

We just picked up our new 299rks last week and spent the weekend camping with it and we love it. Lots of storage and yes there is a lot of room with just he one slide in the living room. Ours came with a detachable 50 amp power cord. we also received a 2014 model with the new frameless windows and the new lane furniture. good luck with yours
Old 06-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #9
JoLee

Cougar HC 299rks

We picked up ours last week...haven't been able to got out yet, but we love it. Do you know where to get replacement kitchen sink covers? We have the black solid surface and the sink covers look too light and don't match. We've called the dealer several times, but they aren't responding. We live too far away to go back...