Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
camper owner

Slide out problem

I have a 2008 Springdale Camper model number 266RLSSR and I purchased it brand new Jan 2008. My family and I have used it a total of 8 times and nearing the end of summer last year I was noticed very small trace of water on my table (which is part of the slide out). I actually didn't think anything about it since it was very small. Well....when I purchased the camper I had put down the clear plastic carpet protector and didn't take the plastic off my sleeper sofa mattress. After summer was over and after going camping only 4 times, I had it winterized for the winter. When winter was over, I was preparing to get it ready for the 2009 camping season. I had noticed my carpet under the plastic protector and my mattress was damp. I brushed it off as condensation. (This is the first camper I have ever owned). My parents have had many so I had my dad look at it and he brushed it off as condensation on the floor and the sleeper sofa mattress. There was no visible signs of any damage to the seal around the slideout or anything. Well to make a long story short, we were camping Labor Day weekend 2009 and I was sitting on the floor by my couch where my daughter was laying and I noticed it was wet. With kids my first reaction was something they spilled water. I got to looking in between the wall and couch and noticed I could see what looked to be light coming thru near the floor. I immediately walked outside and noticed where the screws were on the slide out the floor was trying to give way and was very soft. I went to the campsite next to us and had my dad look at it. The floor is definately pulling away from where it was screwed in by the manufacture. After further investigation I had found that the plastic part on the inside of my slideout has completely come loose from the wall where it is stapled. I am so disappointed. This is my first brand new camper and only used it 8 times and the floor is coming loose on one side and the seal is messed up. I contacted the dealer from where I purchased it from and got no direct answer. They have no one to work on them and no service manager because he quit.

Has anyone else had this problem? I showed pictures of it to another reputable dealer and was told warranty may not cover it. Shouldn't Keystone fix it since it is obviously something that is not done by misuse by consumer (myself)? I have pictures of it if anyone would like to see what I'm talking about. Is there a way I can contact Keystone myself?
camper owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:02 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

First, welcome to the Keystone Forum. Secondly, I wish that your experience with your first, brand new RV was more pleasant than what you have described here. I am assuming that you didn't notice any problems around the slide area floor and adjoining walls when you did your pre-delivery inspection.

In regards to your damp mattress....... that may have been caused by an excessive buildup of moisture/dampness around the bed area and because the mattress was sealed in a plastic wrap, condensation built up inside with nowhere to go.

You might want to refer to one of Flyguy's earlier posts about water penetrating the side wall from below because of exposed wood/particle board edges near the wheel well area. This may have happened and your side wall became saturated with water, softened, swelled up and began to separate.

As far as your warranty is concerned, I don't think you will get far with Keystone. You can go to their website (www.keystonerv.com) to find out how you can contact them. Your 1 year warranty with them has expired and I would be very, very surprised if you will get anywhere with them at this point. Have you tried going back to your dealer? If your dealer doesn't have anybody to work on an RV, I would think that they would find you someplace or someone who can.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
camper owner

Unhappy

Thank you for your reponse to my long post. Yes, I tried to go back to the dealer where I purchased it and the only person working there said he didn't know much about campers and apparently they are having problems keeping people in their service depart hence the reason for no service manager and new employee.

The damp mattress that you explained does make sense because it is right there where the water was coming in around the top of the slide out seal (on the inside. The seal mentioned is the hard white plastic piece that is stapled to the wall. (not the black seal) I really wished I had found the problem last year when it started but I did a visual and found nothing. I guess it hadn't progressed enough for any noticeable changes to be seen.

I have showed my pictures to another reputable dealer who told me not to get my hopes up as far as them covering it under warranty. I dont' understand why they won't cover it since it is obviously not my fault as a consumer. Had it been my fault I wouldn't think twice about paying for the repairs. It began last year but I couldn't visually see anything and now that it is noticeable my warranty expired. Dern my luck....

Thank you for the website information, Festus and I appreciate your response.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
camper owner

I forgot one more question.....if I took out the extended warranty when I purchased it would the problems be covered under that?
Old 09-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

From what you have outlined in your post, the major problem and all the "minor" ones that resulted from that is leakage of water into your unit. I double-checked my extended warranty policy and it clearly states that any damage due to leakage or seepage of water is not covered. Nor are water leaks, caulking, sealants, and weather stripping, etc.

IF you had taken out an extended warranty when you purchased it, I do not think you would be any further ahead than you are now. But since you didn't, it is a moot point now. I don't know of any extended warranty that would include water leaks. The comeback is always.."If you had maintained your RV properly and thoroughly, these leaks and the damage they did, would not have happened". Insurance companies work on the premise that it is always your fault and you are to blame. Unless you can PROVE otherwise, you are hooped.

I still maintain the best course of action for you is to hound your dealer. From what you have said, he isn't going to solve your problem BUT he should send you to someone who has the staff and expertise to look after you. His problems about not being able to retain competent staff are not your problems -- let him deal with it.

Wish I could give you some suggestions that would solve your problem but unfortunately, you don't have much going for you right now. Perhaps someone else on the Forum could help out here...
Old 09-27-2010, 06:03 PM   #6
awshucks

I too have an 08 springdale by keystone model 262. I bought it in 09 the weekend before Memorial day, but it was new on the lot. I live in SE GA and have had a lot of hard rain lately. I went in it tonight, and found severe water damage. It too was in the area of the slide, and limited to the dining area. I wet vac'd about 7 gallons of water out of the carpet and mold/mildew had already set in heavily. It seems it leaked somewhere by the slide and was not in the bathroom or the bedroom. The windows were sealed tight (still had dust in the window seals) and the water did not stretch into the bathroom, bedroom or even to the sofa/sleeper area. Only around the dining area. Very disheartening. I retired from the military last year after 23 yrs and this was my retirement gift. My first RV, and I am now in financial despair! Any suggestions? Not happy about my first RV experience!
awshucks is offline   Reply With Quote