Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2023, 07:21 AM   #21
ChuckS

Either pin 40 or pin 41 sent 12 vdc from BCM to the hyd pump solenoid AnD pin 42 sent 12vdc to the hydrauilc slide out Hudac valve

Image shows two pin out sections.

Something caused the BCM to send these signals over to the hud pump solenoid and slide out Hudac valve

In your case this could have continued to run the pump motor and the Hydac valve coil was also energized and holding the Hydac valve open and trying to extend..extend..extend thus the Hydac coil got hot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AB2F703D-5EF4-4DFD-AF93-7651D4DCAA65.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	42672  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 12:31 PM   #22
SteveBlomquist

Post Action Analysis

ChuckS,
This is my second time writing this response. My first timed out of the website and it was lost
Here goes again.
Since my last post I have installed the new reversing solenoid and all the other components I had removed and everything now works as expected.

I do not have an explanation that clearly explains every anomaly that occurred or the sequence of events but I do have a couple scenarios that may come close.

According to the ASA tech the BCM sends a signal to open the Hydac Valve for the S/O that also triggers the signal to the run the pump. I have determined the side of the reversible solenoid that welded closed would have retracted the slides. I know this because the Lippert Tech sent me a pin diagram for the wire bundle from the control module to the various valve and pump solenoid. There the green wire at the pump solenoid was the retract side and along with the wire from the BCM for the S/O would have brought the slides in IF the pump pressure had someplace to go. This is where I can't make sense of this. Because the slides didn't move the slide valve that I felt was hot must have been jammed CLOSED not open. I think the Hydac valves open when Voltage is applied and a spring holds the valve CLOSED when voltage drops. IF this is true then with the valve jammed closed would get hot with out a pressure increase in the hydraulic manifold and the HIGH pressure switch on the manifold would not disrupt the pump allowing the pump to keep trying to run and the reversible solenoid to exceed its 5 minutes of run time at 75A. But my pump has an 80A re-settable breaker so that 5 minute limit was likely shortened and the solenoid welded closed making the pump cycle as the re-settable fuse paused-reset-ran-paused-reset-ran over ad infinitum until I removed the power from the pump. I now know that removing the signal wire is a lot safer and effective.

OR
The valve was commanded to open but the lines had debris and the fluid would not move to the slide actuators and the High Pressure sensor failed to detect the high pressure and did not disrupt the pump causing the reversible solenoid to fail?

The ASA Tech Support Josh said there is not a mechanical relay on the BCM board and that all the 12V system controls on the board do not use any of those big block relays. I question this because I have had occasion to change a relay to make my front awning function again. And he offered no explanation for why those big blocks are meant to do. Anyway he said to test the two pins 42 & 43 identified as S/O Valve for 12V under load. I did that and sure enough the pin was 12V when I commanded the slides to retract from my iPhone. I also checked the function of the Level Up jacks.

The ASA BCM in the basement is in my mind to blame. What do I do from here? If this is an "intermittent" failure with no smoking gun then I just wait and pray? Never leave the trailer powered and unattended?

What I do know is that your patient guidance and loyalty to my cause is what got me through this issue. For that I am immensely grateful.

Thank you Sir, I am in your debt.

Steve
SteveBlomquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 07:51 PM   #23
ChuckS

Image of Hydac valve.. the valve is ALWAYS IN THE CLOSED POSITON MECHANICALLY VIA SPRING PRESSURE.

The coil that is slid over the Hydac valve is what electrically opens the Hydac valve to allow fluid to flow … either during extend or retract

As to exactly what caused your problem to occur is.. due to my lack of ability to give a technical answer… an unsolved mystery.

Also as to why the hi pressure switch didn’t open and shut down the pump motor is perplexing. That is the purpose of that switch ( to prevent hud pressure from building up too high) this causing damage to the hydraulic system

Also the ASA Rep miss stated that 12 volts DC doesn’t pass thru those plug in relays.IT MOST CERTAINLY DOES.

Attached is a close up of one of those several plug on relays on your BCM..

12 volts DC rated at 30 amps

Regardless .. it appears you have things in hand there now and hopefully no further issues arise.

I can tell say this:
In nine years of use neither my hydraulic slides (3 of them) nor my Lippert six point level up has never had the pump motor run all by itself

But,, I have an old style momentary DPDT switch to operate the hydraulic slides and the level up system is operated only via the Lippert level up panel.

Safe travels
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4E3AE562-C5AA-49D7-89CB-3A3BF322545D.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	396.6 KB
ID:	42675   Click image for larger version

Name:	D18E1993-78CB-496A-9898-A47FDBEE0145.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	42676  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ