Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2022, 02:31 PM   #1
DavidMount

City water inlet

We have a 2011 Springdale SG293 RKS. I have looked all over trying to find where the city water enters the trailer. The inlet is on the drivers side but after that, nothing. I want to put a whole trailer water filter on. With the belly being sealed, I don't want to open it. After 12 years the bolts holding up the core-ply will probably snap off.
Any ideas
Thanks Dave
DavidMount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 02:48 PM   #2
NH_Bulldog

The city water line usually enters the trailer in a very confined area, so accessing the location and installing a canister filter is difficult. Not to mention how much water escapes when you service/change the cartridges. For that reason and others, I would not install something like that inside my trailer. I use a simple inline filter where it connects to the water inlet. I also see many people using cartridge filter setups on a small stand next to the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	29AF8FED-6085-4900-B94C-032DC79C2281.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	42400  
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 02:55 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMount View Post
We have a 2011 Springdale SG293 RKS. I have looked all over trying to find where the city water enters the trailer. The inlet is on the drivers side but after that, nothing. I want to put a whole trailer water filter on. With the belly being sealed, I don't want to open it. After 12 years the bolts holding up the core-ply will probably snap off.
Any ideas
Thanks Dave
I use a whole house cannister filter purchased at TruValue hardware. Takes standard cannisters. I have a short hose I connect to it and stand it near or next to the water spigot and run a hose up to my water inlet. I don't care to have much weight hanging directly off the water inlet on the camper but that is also an option. I believe my whole house water filter is likely more effective than the blue Camco filters as I looked at the filtering characteristics. I also use a Zero water pitcher for making coffee and drinking.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 03:21 PM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I use a whole house cannister filter purchased at TruValue hardware. Takes standard cannisters. I have a short hose I connect to it and stand it near or next to the water spigot and run a hose up to my water inlet. I don't care to have much weight hanging directly off the water inlet on the camper but that is also an option. I believe my whole house water filter is likely more effective than the blue Camco filters as I looked at the filtering characteristics. I also use a Zero water pitcher for making coffee and drinking.
i am thinking of getting a large canister but i was wondering about how to keep it sanitized between trips? does it get any gunk forming in it if it sits for a couple of weeks or a month?
Old 12-01-2022, 04:10 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
i am thinking of getting a large canister but i was wondering about how to keep it sanitized between trips? does it get any gunk forming in it if it sits for a couple of weeks or a month?
After we get home, I "shake out the excess water" and put the filter canister with the filter element in it into a plastic bin and store it in the chest freezer in the garage. When we get ready to leave for a trip, I take it out and put it back in the trailer storage compartment. It'll be "thawed and ready to use" when we get to the first campground.

With no water in it (just a damp filter element) it won't expand or damage the filter canister or the element and with it frozen, it can't grow anything that would cause it to "sour or cause any off taste".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 04:32 PM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
After we get home, I "shake out the excess water" and put the filter canister with the filter element in it into a plastic bin and store it in the chest freezer in the garage. When we get ready to leave for a trip, I take it out and put it back in the trailer storage compartment. It'll be "thawed and ready to use" when we get to the first campground.

With no water in it (just a damp filter element) it won't expand or damage the filter canister or the element and with it frozen, it can't grow anything that would cause it to "sour or cause any off taste".
now that is a creative solution!

Tags
water