Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2022, 10:01 AM   #1
Fatty

Angry Wheel bearings on 2019 Cougar 25RDS

Hi! I am hoping to get advice how to fix what has been happening on an annual basis to our trailer.

For the past 2 years, I have had our wheel bearings repacked and bad bearings replaced. This year, I noticed tire wear on the inside of both rear tires!

We typically make a long trip from Colorado to the Oregon coast and back home. I stop each year and check trailer weight to make sure I am not overloaded and we never have been. Our total trip has been between 5,000 to 7,000 miles.

I do not understand what is happening? IS bearing replacement and/or tire replacement common on this trailer? And now it looks like I'll need 2 new tires!
Fatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 10:08 AM   #2
Hblick48

Bearings have nothing to do with tire wear. I had the same issue with my tires wearing on the inside. Went through a set of tires in under 10,000 miles.

Turns out that I had 6,000 pound axles with 2,500 pound springs (from the factory). Replaced with 3,000 pound springs. Tires have normal wear with over 20,000 miles.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 12:29 PM   #3
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
Hi! I am hoping to get advice how to fix what has been happening on an annual basis to our trailer.

For the past 2 years, I have had our wheel bearings repacked and bad bearings replaced. This year, I noticed tire wear on the inside of both rear tires!

We typically make a long trip from Colorado to the Oregon coast and back home. I stop each year and check trailer weight to make sure I am not overloaded and we never have been. Our total trip has been between 5,000 to 7,000 miles.

I do not understand what is happening? IS bearing replacement and/or tire replacement common on this trailer? And now it looks like I'll need 2 new tires!
What is the repair place(s) finding that is leading to your bearing replacement?

What is the maximum tire pressure listed on the tire sidewall and are you running at this pressure? (under inflation can cause inside tire wear).

Also refer to the info below from eTrailer, related to inside tire wear:

Expert Reply:
There are a couple of things that can lead to the tires wearing on the inside only. Basically what is happening is the top of the tire is leaning in towards the trailer causing most of the weight to ride on the inside. This pretty much means the axle is bent, especially if both sides have the same problem. If it were just one side, there is a chance that is just the spindle that is bent. It will keep wearing on the inside until the issue is resolved and that could mean a new axle.

When unloaded (or lightly loaded) your trailer axles should appear to have a 'hump' in the center - like a reverse 'C' laying on its side. This is by design and the axle will flatten out a bit when a load is applied...sort of like the built in rake on the rear end of a pick up truck.

If your trailer axle(s) are flat when not under load, you could have a bent axle(s) or some other suspension component issue. See image below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bentaxle.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	42315  
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 03:00 PM   #4
NH_Bulldog

Did you buy the trailer new? Based on your issues with bearings and tire wear, it sounds like you might have an axle issue. It could be axle alignment causing the bearings to load abnormally and wear prematurely. Have you inspected the spring shackles/bolts? It could also be that the axles are undersized for your trailer and even if you are not knowingly overloading the camper, you could be overloading the axles (You should have minimum 4,500 lb. axles). My Passport is similar size, but lighter weight and I have 3,500 lb. axles. Look for the label on the axle to be sure you have the right ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81E0CB72-A41E-4EFF-A037-21F8E82EE1B3.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	502.8 KB
ID:	42317  
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 05:13 PM   #5
Fatty

Thanks for your reply. I had the axles checked 2 years ago by True Value (a local trailer supplier/shop) and they were good. I just looked under the trailer and confirmed that the axle is in the correct inverted C shape.
The last bearing replacement, I saw burn marks and loose tapered rollers on the damaged bearings. They definitely needed to be replaced!
Old 11-17-2022, 06:56 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

If you have confirmed proper axle/wheel alignment and weights within limits then logistically I'd look at the bearing replacement and or adjustment as suspect. Have you discussed this with the shop doing the work? Perhaps it's time to try a different service provider.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 07:14 AM   #7
CedarCreekWoody

Be sure you have a competent service person. My dealer does a "re-pack" using only the zerk fittings. They never remove the wheel. I use a mobile tech that comes to me so I can see what he does.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 08:27 AM   #8
Fatty

NH_Bulldog:
Yes, we did buy this trailer new. The decal on the axles says 4400 lbs.
Old 11-17-2022, 08:41 AM   #9
travelin texans

There's something amiss here!
I've owned/towed all sizes/weights of trailers & with most was responsible for the maintenance & never did have one that required bearing replacement every year with so few miles on them. A few of the utility type trailers were frequently abused being overloaded or off road or both & still didn't require bearing replacement annually.
If you're seeing them overheated/burnt every year it sounds like overtightening, lack of grease or both, someone that doesn't know what their doing or a shop that's a bit shady & showing you, & any other unsuspecting customers, the same set of burnt bearings each year that they removed from someone else's in the past.
If you're physically able, have a couple of jacks & minimal tools packing the bearings is not that difficult, messy, but not difficult. I would find someone that's done it to help you do all 4 once or twice then do it yourself. By doing so you'll know it's done right, you weren'tpaying for unnecessary parts & the confidence that if something occurs while traveling you could most likely take care of it.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 09:01 AM   #10
Fatty

OK:
I may have found the solution.
It looks like the rear spring set is flattened! It looks like the spring sets are under-sized for the axle rating - they are only a 4 leaf design. Looking at spring for 5200 axles, they are All 5 leaf. I think I need to get heavier springs!
Old 11-17-2022, 04:58 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
OK:
I may have found the solution.
It looks like the rear spring set is flattened! It looks like the spring sets are under-sized for the axle rating - they are only a 4 leaf design. Looking at spring for 5200 axles, they are All 5 leaf. I think I need to get heavier springs!

While you're replacong the springs, go ahead and install a wet bolt kit. Ypu'll have everything apart and it'll be a perfect time to do that upgrade.

Oh, and don't reuse the U-bolts or nuts.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar