Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2022, 10:26 PM   #1
Ragermack

TPMS interference?

I always bring my TST TPMS display into the trailer and plug it into power while we are camped and into the house when we are at home. It has saved me twice now with slow leaks from screws in the tires while we are parked.
In any case, we were camping in a park in Napa California few weeks ago and one of the trailer tire pressures suddenly dropped from 80psi to 30psi. I grabbed my manual gauge and checked the tire, which was still at 80psi. By the time went back into the trailer it was reading normally 80psi again.
A few hours later the TPMS alarmed telling me one of my truck tires had a high temperature reading of 256°. Needless to say my truck was not on fire and this reading also returned to normal within a few minutes.
I was wondering if anyone else had seen this issue? I'm guessing there was some kind of electronic interference or sunspots going on, as I haven't had any recurrences since then.
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Ragermack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 03:13 AM   #2
Mikendebbie

On our first trip with the TST 507 system last year I had two false alarms similar to yours. I never figured out what caused it…can’t remember if a big truck was passing me at the time. My heart rate went up each time until I figured that it was a false alarm.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 06:09 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

I haven't experienced any false alarms on my TST 507. Are you using the signal booster/repeater? FWIW I think the instructions state not leave the monitor plugged in constantly as it may shorten the battery life.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 08:17 AM   #4
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragermack View Post
I always bring my TST TPMS display into the trailer and plug it into power while we are camped and into the house when we are at home. It has saved me twice now with slow leaks from screws in the tires while we are parked.
In any case, we were camping in a park in Napa California few weeks ago and one of the trailer tire pressures suddenly dropped from 80psi to 30psi. I grabbed my manual gauge and checked the tire, which was still at 80psi. By the time went back into the trailer it was reading normally 80psi again.
A few hours later the TPMS alarmed telling me one of my truck tires had a high temperature reading of 256°. Needless to say my truck was not on fire and this reading also returned to normal within a few minutes.
I was wondering if anyone else had seen this issue? I'm guessing there was some kind of electronic interference or sunspots going on, as I haven't had any recurrences since then.
The better place to ask these questions would be to call TST & see what they say about your issues, they have very good customer service from my experience.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 01:08 PM   #5
Ragermack

No I've found I don't need the signal booster even when reading the tires with the display in the house
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Ragermack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 05:00 PM   #6
bobbecky

I have had false readings with our TST 507, and talking to the TST guys at a rally a couple years ago, they said the frequency of these units can be over ridden by transmitters with similar frequencies. They did suggest I upgrade to the new color monitor as it uses better circuitry to filter out these issues. I mostly would get a signal with an extremely high reading, and after we got a bit down the road, I'd turn the monitor off and then back on and we were back to normal, but since getting the new monitor, rarely get a false reading.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 05:26 AM   #7
ChuckS

Ive been using the TST 507 for nine years now.. never any big issues that could not be resolved quickly..

That said I upgraded my old TST507 monochrome to the new 507 color screen this year.. Installed new sensors and a repeater..

First trip was perfect..

Second trip in Oct the display suddenly alerted me to a High Temp on one tire... It read 255 degrees.. Of course I knew this was a sensor error.

Fix.. quickly turned off the display and then turned it back on.. All sensors came back up and all tire temps read about the same .. Return trip no issues.

Great system

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 06:32 AM   #8
Berdan

I know this is an old thread but on a recent trip my TST TPMS (with external stem sensors) also gave me a false alarm out of nowhere. It said one of my tire's temperature was 304 deg. I pulled over and checked all the tires and hub temperatures and they were fine. In hindsight the pressure reading was a normal 86 psi, so if the tire temperature had actually been rising the TPMS would have warned me much earlier and the tire pressure would have been through the roof. A glitch of some sort.

Brien

2015 Cougar 22RBIWE
2020 Silverado LT Crew Cab 5.3L 4WD
Berdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 08:05 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berdan View Post
I know this is an old thread but on a recent trip my TST TPMS (with external stem sensors) also gave me a false alarm out of nowhere. It said one of my tire's temperature was 304 deg. I pulled over and checked all the tires and hub temperatures and they were fine. In hindsight the pressure reading was a normal 86 psi, so if the tire temperature had actually been rising the TPMS would have warned me much earlier and the tire pressure would have been through the roof. A glitch of some sort.

I've not had that particular thing happened but several years back my TST system started giving weird readings off and on. Couldn't put a finger on it so I replaced all the batteries in the sensors. Everything was OK and then I upgraded to the color monitor, new sensors and the new repeater. I've not had any issues since. When I was having issues the batteries were probably over 2 years old. I now change them in the fall of every year. No problems since. I think it was a battery issue but the addition of the repeater to the system helped drop offs too.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 11:53 AM   #10
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragermack View Post
I've had erroneous readings also, which lead to the battery replacement in the sensor, assuming you have the screw on sensor. I now replace them all annually.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 06:07 AM   #11
SD Kitty

I contacted the manufacturer on this same issue and here’s the reply:

Thanks for the inquiry...

It was most likely outside interference from a source that was on the same frequency as our sensors. Our frequency is 433 MHz. I have heard of this happening before. It may never happen again but, if it continues, please call our Tech Support line at 770-889-9102. We will try to troubleshoot it at that point.

Hope this helps,

Randy
SD Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote