Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2022, 10:35 AM   #21
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Jeff, most of your peeves were covered in the other issues laid out; I just emphasized my own single pet peeve which is being social when I am hooking up or setting up. I only camp in traditional private RV parks or resorts, btw and have never had an issue with "too loud" fellow campers. Once in my camper with the A/C on and the TV/soundbar turning my brain into mush, well, don't hear anything outside.
Ha...my problem is that I have trouble reducing my peeves to just one...

It's true, though, that by sticking with private parks the list of peeves goes way down.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 01:03 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8bawana View Post
How about a written rule that is ALWAYS posted at campgrounds and rv parks but is frequently ignored?
Like "pets MUST be on leash at all times". I've lost track of how many people believe their dog is special and let their dog wander around loose.
If the dog barks at you the owner says "oh it won't bite it's friendly".
A rule is a rule, if you don't like it tough tamales.
The "visuals" on that bolded part caused some chuckles. Usually, when we see roadkill "spread all over the highway" (not the single animal on the shoulder) I mention that there'll be a special on tacos tonight at Taco Bell (apologies to anyone who thinks TB is good food)..... So, my "visual" on your comment is a couple of "camp chefs with a hatchet sneaking up on that barking dog and a sign at the campground entrance saying, FREE TAMALES AT CAMPSITE 12".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 03:24 PM   #23
Balvar24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8bawana View Post
How about a written rule that is ALWAYS posted at campgrounds and rv parks but is frequently ignored?
Like "pets MUST be on leash at all times". I've lost track of how many people believe their dog is special and let their dog wander around loose.
If the dog barks at you the owner says "oh it won't bite it's friendly".
A rule is a rule, if you don't like it tough tamales.
Doesn't bite? He's got teeth doesn't he?

1. No one else wants to hear your music. We didn't forget our radio at home.
2. When it's dark, people don't appreciate your stadium lights. The reason our site is dark isn't because we can't afford lights of our own.
3. Get to the campsite when it's light out so you can set up without headlights (see #2).
4. No one wants to hear you or your kids hollering unless the game warden is coming. Keep it civil or keep it at home.
5. Wear clothes that cover your butt crack. You have to know it's hanging out.
6. If you're neighbors at home don't like you, chances are we won't either. It's not the world, it's you.
7. The bath house is not an acceptable place to socialize. It's just weird.
8. If there is a line of people behind you at the dump station, you don't have time for a 10 minute black tank rinse. Get out of the way.
9. If your vehicle doesn't fit in the gravel, on the blacktop, your site is too small.
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 03:31 PM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
My wife’s uncle is a “new” camper. They’re basically the same age as we are. They’ve started coming along, but tend to only stay a couple days because of work. He always brings his stereo and plus it loud enough to make it difficult to sit around and have a conversation. Granted, he has good taste in music, but for me, it’s not what I want to hear while camping. I go to get away and have peace and quiet. Since he’s family, I’m not shy about it, I just go and turn it down to an acceptable level. I think he’s finally starting to get it.

Of course, since we’re retired, we have the ability to stay after they all leave and really enjoy quiet time.
We went thru a time when relatives and some freinds would camp together in our own capers. Our daughters and their families would stay with us. We would book early in the year and share our schedules. It wasn't unusual for 5 to 7 families would be camping togather and we had some great times. Often the crowd would congregate at our site and with the outdoor kitchen it made sense.

This went well until we began getting taken advantage of. When one relatives boys became teens they stopped bringing snacks or enough food. We would never deny anyone food but when 2 teen age boys wipe out a week's worth of snaks in 2 hrs I put a stop to it. Then I had one relative that quit bringing ANY food. I retired and had to stop spending money to feed folks that were working.

We dropped hints, and had some frank discussions but the behaviors continued. So we pulled back and quit sharing our schedule. So my point being is I'll manners can be displayed in many forms.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 07:35 AM   #25
Cjblodgett

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
The term commonly used to describe your helpful neighbor is "That Guy." The most common phrases used by "That Guy" are as follows:
Let me guide you back.
Can I help you with that?
We don't do it like that.
Where are you from?
Oh yeah, try being a woman just getting into a campground and setting up. I have never had "That woman" try to back me or help me set up.

I must say, though, I don't mind and just politely decline. There are times when I could use help to figure something out so I don't want to burn bridges.

I think RVing people are some of the friendliest and helpful people on the planet.
Cjblodgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 08:38 AM   #26
Schmackpappy

Gotta love the guy that feels the need to help us out with baking the trailer up. My wife and I are angry enough at each other as it is. 😂
Schmackpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 08:47 AM   #27
jasin1

try backing a 35’ boat,12’ beam into a 16’ wide slip with a crosswind blowing 10-15 knots …my wife and i ( mostly me) have been working on our communication skills for the last 30 years…can you imagine backing a rv into a site and the wind was blowing you sideways into another rv at the same time??? …sometimes it’s the wind AND the current you have to deal with…buy a boat so you can “relax” they said lol
Old 07-28-2022, 09:09 AM   #28
pdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
RVLife.com just had an article on things that annoy other campers and all were pretty much as expected but their "unwritten rules" for RVers were pretty on-point. I think the one thing that irritates me is when setting up, I actually have to concentrate on doing things in a set order and the nosy neighbor coming over to chat is NOT helpful. I try to be a gentleman but wish I could put up a sign; intro after set up, PLEASE! We seldom camp anywhere where any of the other unwritten rules are not observed.

Walk around, not through campsites

Don’t leave fires unattended (or create lots of smoke)

Clean up after yourself in public areas (pools, bathrooms, laundry rooms, central lodges)

Don’t leave food out and attract unwanted guests

Don’t leave trash at your site for the next unsuspecting RVer

Don’t interrupt RVers who are trying to set up camp (or trying to pack up to leave)

Do something about your continuous barking dog
Don’t attempt to give “guidance” to campers who are parking and setting up-unless the “help” is requested.
We all have our routines and don’t need someone to give unwanted advice.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 10:44 AM   #29
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
try backing a 35’ boat,12’ beam into a 16’ wide slip with a crosswind blowing 10-15 knots …my wife and i ( mostly me) have been working on our communication skills for the last 30 years…can you imagine backing a rv into a site and the wind was blowing you sideways into another rv at the same time??? …sometimes it’s the wind AND the current you have to deal with…buy a boat so you can “relax” they said lol
Boats on a windy day can be a challenge.

My favorite so far was the guy who asked me if I could move his RV from a storage facility to his house so some family could stay in it. He lived on a side street with a rock wall separating front from back yard set back 30’ off the street with a gate that was 9’3” wide and had a wide body 5th wheel. With the awning, the rv was 105” wide. For those not good at math, that gave me 3” to spare on each side. I had to start back at an angle until I could pull forward perpendicular to the street and get a straight shot back. Had spotters on each side, a couple adjustments forward and back and I had it. The guy couldn’t believe I actually got it in there…..really??? Now I know why he hired me instead of doing it himself. Not too many campsites I can’t get into. Lol.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote