Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2022, 07:23 PM   #1
Ddewey78

Fridge issues

Well after the 1st big trip, the fridge in my new to me 19 373 SUCKS. After the 1st test trip, I noticed one of the upper fans on the outside wasn't working, I replaced it for this trip and no help. Once home I noticed the other upper fan quit. So now I have 2 new upper fans, and added 2 more upper exhaust fans.

When I was putting the cover back on, I saw the HUGE design flaw. When you put the cover on, there's no practical way for heat to escape. Due to the curve of the vents, hot air would have to travel up, then back down to escape, high school physics says that will never work.

With my new fan set up there's definitely heat moving out, but with a redesign of the cover I could see WAY more. Had I noticed this sooner, I believe simply removing the upper cover once set up, the fridge would have worked way better.
Ddewey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 07:52 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I believe the vents are designed that way to keep rain out of the fridge compartment. There is insulation on the sides and it would be quite a mess if they got soaked.

Air flow is important, and as long as the baffle is in place, the fans should do just fine since that’s the way 99.99% of RV fridges and vents are built that way.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 06:33 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

There is a "high baffle" that is required by Norcold. To the casual observer, it appears to interfere with "obvious airflow", but to the "engineers who design these things" it's necessary for correct operation. I wouldn't recommend "reconstructing what the factory and Norcold say is the correct installation".

You can see it in the diagram below and it is fully explained in the installation manual which you can download here: https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploa...F_20200401.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NORCOLD SIDE VENT INSTALL.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	40528  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge