Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2022, 05:35 AM   #1
tjhoosier

HVAC issue

I read this forum all the time and have picked up many tidbits and answers to issues I've had. I'm not sure I've ever posted a thread, but there's a first time for everything. Have a 21 Cougar 24RDS with the In Command. Only 1 AC unit (I'm pretty small). AC/Furnace will not turn on. Fuses good and breakers also. I've re-booted the In Command a couple of times. Nothing seems amiss and both systems were tested a month ago and worked just fine. Currently in Banff NP in Canada and it's cold! So far the fireplace has kept us warm. But we're headed to Alaska and I might need the furnace and when we get back in the lower 48 I'm sure to need the AC. I read a post from a while back that turning the shore power off and also the battery disconnect to let the relays "reset" might work. I'm going to try that. Any other ideas? Appreciate any help!!
tjhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 05:41 AM   #2
bsmith0404

Since the two systems are separate power sources, 12v and 120v, it definitely sounds like an in-command issue. Try the reset, if that doesn’t work and no body else has any good ideas, I’d call Lippert on that problem.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 06:32 AM   #3
ChuckS

The furnace signal wires are connected to that AC roof mounted control box and gateway

Both require 12 volts DC to work and the AC unit of course needs 120 as well

Look in your fuse panel and make certain no fuses are blown

If no fuses blown then as stated try the full hard reset of the in command system.. shore power removed and battery disconnected

Reconnect both and if NO furance or AC response from in command tablet then try resetting the telephone looking cable plugs on both the display and BCM

The power and CANBUS commands pass along this four wire telephone line to tell either AC or furnace to run

Two wires are used for CANBUS Hi and low signals

Two wires for 12 volts

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 06:47 AM   #4
tjhoosier

Update on HVAC issue

The reset worked. I cut shore power and battery, waited a few minutes and then restored both. Furnace and AC are both back working. Thanks guys. This forum is AWESOME! North to Alaska!
tjhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 08:02 AM   #5
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjhoosier View Post
The reset worked. I cut shore power and battery, waited a few minutes and then restored both. Furnace and AC are both back working. Thanks guys. This forum is AWESOME! North to Alaska!
If this issue keeps coming back then you will want to look at getting the gateway replaced or if you haven’t updated the firmware to your In Command System yet call the folks at ASA Jensen In Command Support and they should be able to walk you through firmware update

https://in-command.net/faqs/

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 08:35 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Doing the firmware update is an excellent idea... BUT: Timing of when you do that is vital !!!!! If you're on your way to Alaska, now is NOT the time to start updating the system while enroute to a remote destination....

It may work well 99% of the time, but that leaves the "proverbial 1%" to make life impossible....

I'd urge you to wait until your trip is over (as long as the resets are keeping things functional) and do any firmware updates at home, after your big trip...

The last thing you need right now, is to "brick the controller" when you're somewhere, out on the Alcan, halfway between nowhere and lost in space....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 09:24 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Since the two systems are separate power sources, 12v and 120v, it definitely sounds like an in-command issue. Try the reset, if that doesn’t work and no body else has any good ideas, I’d call Lippert on that problem.
Just an FYI- InCommand is an ASA (Jensen) product. OneControl is a Lippert product.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 09:39 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Just to clarify....

The reason you need to remove both the battery source and the 120 vac is to disable the converter. If you remove the battery and you are still plugged into shore power then the converter is supplying the trailer with 12v dc.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote