Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2021, 03:52 AM   #1
Hisgirl

Weird electrical issues

Hi all, I hope I can explain this clearly. After I post, I'll be heading to work, so I may not be able to answer any questions right away, but I really need your help.

I have a 2005 Sprinter 278 RLS. I first noticed that the furnace fan wasn't really blowing, and that when I turned on the furnace it would kill my batteries pretty quickly, lights getting more and more dim.
Next I noticed while having the light above the sink and stove exhaust fan on, that when my ELECTRIC heater cycled ON, that the exhaust fan and light got MORE power. The heater was plugged into the outlet above the kitchen sink area.
This morning I tried my furnace, while it was barely going, I turned on the electric heater and the furnace went full power like it should.
I am baffled and have no idea where to even start. I have a couple RV handy guys around here, bit they are baffled to. Any ideas? Thank you!
Hisgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:01 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

First pull the battery and have it load tested. Any idea on the age of the battery? Some other info would help such as what are you plugged into and how? Shore power with 30 amp and the trailer is 30 amps? 50 amp trailer plugged into a 15 amp recetical at home? Lastly, what is your level of experience and understanding of electricity? Do you have and know how to use a multimeter?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:22 AM   #3
Hisgirl

The batteries are exactly 4 years old, well maintained. I have not had them tested yet. My trailer is 30 amp and I am plugged into the same.
I have minimal electrical experience and don't know how to use that tool, but I'd bet one of my neighbors will/would.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:24 AM   #4
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisgirl View Post
The batteries are exactly 4 years old, well maintained. I have not had them tested yet. My trailer is 30 amp and I am plugged into the same.
I have minimal electrical experience and don't know how to use that tool, but I'd bet one of my neighbors will/would.
Depending on the type of batteries, deep cycle vs cranking batteries & how many times they've been deeply discharged, 4 to 5 years is the typical lifespan of the batteries even if properly maintained.
The difference in battery types; if there's CCA, CA or MCA (cranking amps) listed on the top of the battery they're cranking batteries typically used to start vehicles or boats & not the best option for RVs. Deep cycle batteries will have aHs (amp hours) listed with the bigger the number the better.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:55 PM   #5
Hisgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Depending on the type of batteries, deep cycle vs cranking batteries & how many times they've been deeply discharged, 4 to 5 years is the typical lifespan of the batteries even if properly maintained.
The difference in battery types; if there's CCA, CA or MCA (cranking amps) listed on the top of the battery they're cranking batteries typically used to start vehicles or boats & not the best option for RVs. Deep cycle batteries will have aHs (amp hours) listed with the bigger the number the better.
Thank you! So helpful. First thing to check.
Old 06-15-2021, 03:52 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

As Danny pointed out a “true deep cycle battery is best suited for the task. Any combo like “marine deep cycle/starting” is a poor trade off. Batteries designed for starting engines will have a measure of cranking amps in some form. The reason is to start an engine you need a quick burst of high energy (cranking amps) to get the energy to turn engine over. As soon as it starts the energy is replaced by the charging system quickly. Sort of like running a hundred yard dash.

What you need for a camper is a deep cycle battery (rated in amp hours) that will take a smaller load over a longer duration before requiring a charge. A deep cycle battery is built to withstand deeper discharges without damage than a starting battery. Think of it like a marathon runner. Hope this helps explain the difference.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:23 AM   #7
Hisgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
As Danny pointed out a “true deep cycle battery is best suited for the task. Any combo like “marine deep cycle/starting” is a poor trade off. Batteries designed for starting engines will have a measure of cranking amps in some form. The reason is to start an engine you need a quick burst of high energy (cranking amps) to get the energy to turn engine over. As soon as it starts the energy is replaced by the charging system quickly. Sort of like running a hundred yard dash.

What you need for a camper is a deep cycle battery (rated in amp hours) that will take a smaller load over a longer duration before requiring a charge. A deep cycle battery is built to withstand deeper discharges without damage than a starting battery. Think of it like a marathon runner. Hope this helps explain the difference.
Okay, so my batteries are the proper type and are sustaining a proper charge. What is baffling is that the heater plugged into a 110 outlet affects the power distribution to the 12 vot light fixture. Could it have to do with the converter? How do I check? Thank you again for any help or advice!
Old 06-16-2021, 05:44 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisgirl View Post
Okay, so my batteries are the proper type and are sustaining a proper charge. What is baffling is that the heater plugged into a 110 outlet affects the power distribution to the 12 vot light fixture. Could it have to do with the converter? How do I check? Thank you again for any help or advice!
How have verified the battery condition?

Tags
electrical