Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2021, 07:00 AM   #1
Michael In Oregon

Concern about Rear Jacks

I did a search and was unable to find anything on the topic.

The rear jacks seem very low to me when retracted. Has this ever been an issue? My concern is when boone docking. There seems to be some adjustment if needed.
21' Chev 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
Michael In Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:49 AM   #2
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael In Oregon View Post

The rear jacks seem very low to me when retracted. Has this ever been an issue? My concern is when boone docking. There seems to be some adjustment if needed.
Check your clearance above the jack but most can be raised at least one bolt hole which is about an inch +.. Remember that if you do raise them, that you will lose the applicable amount of travel..

I raised mine early on and I carry a 2"x12"x 12" board to put under each jack as needed to compensate.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:07 AM   #3
GHen

I do a lot of Boondocking down very rough roads and have no damage to my rear jacks. I don’t think they have even touched, but of course I can’t see them from the drivers seat.

If you draw a line from the bottom of your rear tire and passed the bottom of the Jack you will see that the back of the 5th wheel will drag first. Of course, large chuck holes or driving off a curb could be an issue, even if you raised them that extra inch. My solution, avoid driving through them or off curbs. Easier said than done sometimes.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:18 AM   #4
Michael In Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Check your clearance above the jack but most can be raised at least one bolt hole which is about an inch +.. Remember that if you do raise them, that you will lose the applicable amount of travel..

I raised mine early on and I carry a 2"x12"x 12" board to put under each jack as needed to compensate.
Copy that!
Old 06-04-2021, 02:31 PM   #5
KimNTerry

Run a string line from the rear tire where it meets the ground to the lowest point on the rear of the trailer. For me the bumper. This is your departure angle. If the jacks are inside that string, you're good to go. If the jacks are below, move 'em up. My jacks look low but are above the string departure angle by almost an inch. I had a motorist warn me last weekend that they looked low. When stopped at a red light, I checked them yep, all the way up so they're good. Nice of the fellow driver to warn me though.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 03:00 PM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael In Oregon View Post

Does your fifth wheel sit nose high or level?.. not sure if that would cause an issue with rear jacks
Old 06-04-2021, 03:53 PM   #7
Michael In Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Does your fifth wheel sit nose high or level?.. not sure if that would cause an issue with rear jacks

I just dropped it an inch at the hitch. With air bags adjusted, theoretically it should set level when towing now.
21' Chev 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax

Tags
jacks